Re: FW: Protoge 4 Question -- output all usage of an item within specific subclasses

Re: FW: Protoge 4 Question -- output all usage of an item within specific subclasses

Timothy Redmond

From: <Lipori>, Gigi Lipori <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, December 20, 2013 12:16 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Protoge 4 Question -- output all usage of an item within specific subclasses

Using the NDF-RT ontology as an example, can I use the Protégé interface to export all drug names that may_treat or may_prevent nausea? By way of example in the screen below, I would want to show the usage of Nausea, but only for the drugs with the subclasses of may_prevent or may_treat, not those with a subclass of contraindicated_with. Truly appreciate any insights.

This is not always pragmatic but the method I would like for this type of problem is to use a reasoner.  If you start a reasoner and go to the dl-query tab and enter:

      may_prevent some 'Nausea [Disease/Finding]' or may_treat some 'Nausea [Disease/Finding]'

and select "Direct sub-classes" you will get a list of things that treat or prevent nausea.

The advantage of this is that the reasoner will figure out things that may require an extra step of inference which might be missed in a syntactic search.  A disadvantage of this approach is that inference can in some cases be expensive.

-Timothy