Re: OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Muhammad Javed
Is there any possible way to get list of OWL 2 supported list of XSD: Data Types.

regards
Javed

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Timothy Redmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Exception in thread "main" org.semanticweb.HermiT.datatypes.UnsupportedDatatypeException: HermiT supports all and only the datatypes of the OWL 2 datatype map, see
The datatype 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#ID' is not part of the OWL 2 datatype map and
no custom datatype definition is given;
therefore, HermiT cannot handle this datatype.

This is a reasonable error and I can't help you with it too much.  It does appear that xsd:ID is not an owl 2 datatype.   (Follow the suggested link and search for xsd:ID.  I was very surprised recently when I learned that xsd:date was also not an OWL 2 datatype.)  One might intuitively expect that HermiT would observe this and manage to continue processing.  But it is quite possible that this would become a very difficult problem for HermiT to handle. HermiT will know nothing about the xsd:ID datatype and this could lead to many questions that HermiT can't answer.

I can suggest a couple of options.  Maybe you could just change the datatype.  You could try other reasoners.  Pellet and FaCT++ come to mind (FaCT++ brings in some special challenges of its own).  Or you could contact the HermiT team and see if they tell you anything more than I can.

-Timothy

Kind regards
Muhammad Javed

Muhammad Javed, PhD Research Student, Centre for Next Generation Localisation, School of Computing, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Ireland

Tel:   +353 (0)1 700 6912                Fax:  +353 (0)1 700 6702

Re: OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Thomas Schneider-2
Hi Javed,

see the paragraph about datatype maps in the OWL 2 specification and the documents it links to:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Datatype_Maps

Cheers

Thomas

On 10.03.2011, at 12:09, Muhammad Javed wrote:

> Is there any possible way to get list of OWL 2 supported list of XSD: Data Types.
>
> regards
> Javed
>

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Timothy Redmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Exception in thread "main" org.semanticweb.HermiT.datatypes.UnsupportedDatatypeException: HermiT supports all and only the datatypes of the OWL 2 datatype map, see
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Datatype_Maps.
>> The datatype 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#ID' is not part of the OWL 2 datatype map and
>> no custom datatype definition is given;
>> therefore, HermiT cannot handle this datatype.
>
> This is a reasonable error and I can't help you with it too much.  It does appear that xsd:ID is not an owl 2 datatype.   (Follow the suggested link and search for xsd:ID.  I was very surprised recently when I learned that xsd:date was also not an OWL 2 datatype.)  One might intuitively expect that HermiT would observe this and manage to continue processing.  But it is quite possible that this would become a very difficult problem for HermiT to handle. HermiT will know nothing about the xsd:ID datatype and this could lead to many questions that HermiT can't answer.
>
> I can suggest a couple of options.  Maybe you could just change the datatype.  You could try other reasoners.  Pellet and FaCT++ come to mind (FaCT++ brings in some special challenges of its own).  Or you could contact the HermiT team and see if they tell you anything more than I can.
>
> -Timothy

> Kind regards
> Muhammad Javed
>

> Muhammad Javed, PhD Research Student, Centre for Next Generation Localisation, School of Computing, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Ireland
>
> Tel:   +353 (0)1 700 6912                Fax:  +353 (0)1 700 6702
> Web: www.computing.dcu.ie/~mjaved

Dr. Thomas Schneider
Universität Bremen, FB 03
MZH, Raum 3100
Postfach 330440
28334 Bremen
Germany
+49 421 218-64432
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~ts/

Re: OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Evain, Jean-Pierre

Dear Timothy,

I am using Protégé 4.1.

Actually the point about Hermit supporting only the OWL-2 datatypes is interesting.

I just started another thread about OWL-RL compliance.

I appears that although none of my dataProperties use xsd:date but only xsd:dateTime to seek RL compliance, each time I save the file in Protégé it creates a declaration about xsd:date, which causes my file to crash at validation using the Manchester OWL-2 validator. In order to pass I must remove this manually using a text editor.

If Protégé is OWL-2 compliant, which is subordinated by the use of Hermit claimed to accept only OWL-2 datatypes, then

-          why does Protégé add that sort of spurious declaration

-          why does Hermit not detect anything wrong?

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Re: OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Evain, Jean-Pierre

By the way, I am wondering if it’s not coming from the use of dc:date in the comments fields.

Jean-Pierre

Re: OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Timothy Redmond

I appears that although none of my dataProperties use xsd:date but only xsd:dateTime to seek RL compliance, each time I save the file in Protégé it creates a declaration about xsd:date, which causes my file to crash at validation using the Manchester OWL-2 validator. In order to pass I must remove this manually using a text editor.

I made a small example and was not able to replicate this.  I then wondered if the xsd:date declaration was being added to correct a missing declaration in an import but I wasn't able to replicate this either.  Are you sure that you are not using the xsd:date datatype somewhere in your ontology?  What happens if you go to the entities tab, select the datatypes subtab (lower right) and look at the usage of the xsd:date datatype?  Can you give a set of steps that leads to this situation?  (That is interesting - I didn't know about the tooltip that shows in the screenshot...)

The crashing of the Manchester OWL-2 validator is probably connected to a known OWL api bug that was fixed (I think before the OWL api 3.2.2 release).

-Timothy

Declaration.owl (3K) Download Attachment
DateUsage.png (63K) Download Attachment

Re: OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Evain, Jean-Pierre

Hi Timothy,

Yes, I am using search for xsd:date and it doesn’t show up anywhere.

As soon as I change something and save the file, it pops in.  I was thinking of the dc:date because I have one comment instantiating this.

Speaking of sort of editing I did:

-          The ontology was using date but we decided to change for dateTime.

-          I did the changes using the editor and saved the file

-          Opened the file in wordpad, copied and pasted the content in the Manchester OWL-2 validator and got an error because of date

-          I looked for the instance of date likely creating the problem and it is what I attached to my mail. Once this is removed manually, copied and pasted, then it validates.

-          The only change I might have done next is to rewrite the date comment using dc:date for annotation (which I had removed to be on the safe side). Saved, pasted and got the error message again with the same origin (although I am not sure it didn’t happen even without re-entering a date comment).

I’ll do the extra test you suggest but I am in a webex right now and will be busy tonight but come back to you with the results tomorrow.

I can also try downloading a more recent version of Protégé. Anything beyond 4.1?

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

************************************************** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by the mailgateway **************************************************

Re: OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Timothy Redmond

This makes sense.  The key is this:

-          The ontology was using date but we decided to change for dateTime.

-          I did the changes using the editor and saved the file

What I believe happened - this I have replicated - is that the original ontology had the xsd:date declaration.  This would definitely be true if the original ontology was saved using Protege 4.

When you made the change from xsd:date to xsd:dateTime you neglected to remove the declaration of xsd:date.  This is actually really understandable because it is not at all apparent.  But if you look at the usage of xsd:date you will see that it is still there (in the form of a declaration).  You can remove this declaration in Protege 4.  You can click the little circle minus button right above the xsd:date in the datatypes subtab of the entities tab.  I had not removed a datatype declaration from an ontology before but actually it is exactly the same as removing other declarations (e.g. class declarations, property declarations, etc).

The steps to do this are
  1. create an ontology using xsd:date - perhaps in a data restriction, save and close the window.
  2. perhaps look at this in a text editor to see the xsd:date declaration
  3. change the data restriction to use xsd:dateTime
  4. look at the usage of xsd:date - you should see something like the attachment.
  5. save and look at it in a text editor.
  6. click the circle minus for xsd:date, save and look at it in a text editor.

-Timothy

dateUsage.png (56K) Download Attachment

RE : OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Evain, Jean-Pierre
Timothy,

Ok, I'll try this but I had effectively removed any instance of xsd:date from the file manually before it repeated.

Maybe should I have closed the protege before trying again.

I'll tell you what I found tomorrow.

Regards,

jean-Pierre

Re: OWL 2 Supported Data Types

Evain, Jean-Pierre

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the analysis of the problem.

I thought I had removed the declaration manually and actually got the file validated.  Therefore I am not so sure. I guess the best is to close completely Protégé. I have the feeling the declaration was kept somewhere. This being said the operation you described is quite clean. I tried it on my original file with xsd:date and effectively cleans all, which is quite efficient if you want to replace all the occurrences.

Anyway, after having closed protégé and my PC I restarted from the modified file, making changes and saving it and the problem has disappeared. This is why I have a strange feeling about declarations hanging around… A problem of garbage collection?

Problem solved with another Protégé trick in the bag. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jean-Pierre