Re: Report (export) Problems Protege 3.4.4

Re: Report (export) Problems Protege 3.4.4

Jonathan Carter-8
We’ve been using Protege frames in this way for many years now and I think encountered the same things that you’re seeing.

We found the Export to HTML option to very useful for providing a micro-site about the Classes structure in the ontology and does include all the slots (template, inherited etc.). There are a number of options in the HTML export component that control what is exported, so it’s worth checking these out to make sure all the slots you want are generated.

In the end to provide the kinds of reports that we wanted, we found that we needed to build our own reporting platform, using an XML export of the Protege ontology.

In terms of importing from Excel, the DataMaster Tab can be powerful by connecting to Excel via a JDBC / ODBC connector.
However, we found that using this imported both classes and instances - we wanted to be able to map content from a spreadsheet into instances of classes in the ontology. Again, we built our own tools resulting in a web application that enables us to do this.

It’s worth upgrading your Protege to version 3.5 as there are a number of bug fixes since 3.4.4.

When we realised that the way we were using Protege meant that the out-of-the-box exports and imports were not designed to work the way we wanted to use them, we built some of our own plugins and extensions (which are all free to download and use from our website www.enterprise-architecture.org)

Hope this helps

Jonathan