Re: local (accented) characters displayed erronously in exported HTML

Re: local (accented) characters displayed erronously in exported HTML

Füzi, Peter

... just a status feedback.

January I met a technical problem with HTML export (PrF, Windows 8, local PC) as missing out local characters from the export result (details pls. see below). Though we walked through the case in straightforward manner, I could not yet conclude a solution, I needed to suspend the checkout. As soon as I found the key to the problem, I share it with the community.

High appreciation to Csongor and György Babnigg for their support.
Thanks,
Peter Füzi

PS: the issue was submitted some days before the community email list was reorganized

----------------------------

   2. Re: local (accented) characters
      displayed erronously in exported HTML (Csongor Nyulas)

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:24:31 +0100 (CET)
From: F?zi, Peter <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [protege-discussion] local (accented) characters displayed
        erronously in exported HTML

Hi Ladies/Gents,

I am a new guy in the Prot?g? scene. I have about 15 monthes long intro trials with Prot?g? (Frames), deployed in periodical background efforts. I appreciate Prot?g?, thanks the developers for this cute product. I already read the relevant sources, like Getting Started, etc. and I have more successful experiences with it.

My Prot?g? installation (Win 8.1 64 bit, Java 1.7.0._51, Prot?g? Frames 3.4.8 - a simple starter configuration on a notebook released last April) works fine during model development. Unfortunately local characters (accented Hungarian letters) of my descriptions are displayed in wrong placeholders when I export them to HTML. This behaviour of the system is consequent: all local characters are displayed with incorrect characters, none has a correct shape.

I checked out my Prot?g? configuration against the specification: all versions are in compliance with the configuration rules. Also I browsed lots of web-pages in concern with this problem. Still I cannot find the key to sort it out.

Your hint is kindly welcome, whether what should be checked out to meet the correct operation. Thanks and regards,

Peter F?zi
Hungary, Europe
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:09:17 -0800
From: Csongor Nyulas <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [protege-discussion] [POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] Re: local
        (accented) characters displayed erronously in exported HTML

Dear Peter,

Protege uses Unicode characters with UTF8 encoding by default to save
the ontologies in the different formats.
You can see and change the encoding that is used in the Project ->
Encodings menu.

I don't know what is it going wrong with your particular setup, but I
had no problem at all to create classes, properties and instances that
contain Hungarian characters in their names.
The differences between our setups are the following: I used the latest
version of Protege Frames (version 3.5) and I ran it on Ubuntu.

Please see attached a sample ontology containing Hungarian characters,
and the exported HTML documentation that is generated from that ontology.
You should be able to read the characters both in Protege and in HTML.
If you can't, you probably need to modify some of your Web browser
and/or OS settings related to character encodings.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Csongor