Re: protege 4 plugin question

Timothy Redmond

In looking over my message again - I am thinking that the key may be
my paragraph that says "the NoClassDefFoundError is very different
from the ClassNotFoundException."  You are loading the class you want
but some exception is being thrown immediately after that.

> Hi, Timothy,
>
> I am trying to modify the org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit.java
> and I overridden the handleLoadFrom (URI uri) method to let it
> create an object of my version OntologyManager and load the ontology
> using my code.

I am not sure that this is an approach for the faint of heart - the
OWLEditorKit seems a little too fundamental to override.  Maybe
someone else will have a comment on this  approach.  If your goal is
to get into the protege welcome frame, I don't know  another way to do
this.  If you really want to do this you will probably need to create
an editor kit factory.  I would recommend thinking of another approach.

My first thought  would have been that you would  want a project menu
plugin (similar to the plugin [1]).  People will load the uri your way
by clicking the menu item.

In terms of understanding the class loader  issues,  the

        org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit

class will be exported by the org.protege.editor.owl plugin.  All a
plugin needs to do to see this class is import its package in the
manifest.

> I added the jar file under the lib directory and set the classpath
> in the manifest file.

What did you add to the classpath in the manifest file?  If you are
trying to load the class

        org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit

then this class will be provided by Protege 4.  It is provided by the
org.protege.editor.owl plugin which is  supplied.

> It can be built without any problem but after I try to load an
> ontology from an URI,  I got the NoClassDefFoundError.

Ok - two things.  First, what are you doing to run the plugin?   Are
you following one of the directions on one of our web sites?  Are you
building  the jar, adding it to the protege 4 plugins directory and
running it?  Are you using the eclipse OSGi support?

Second - and this is my mistake - the NoClassDefFoundError is very
different from the ClassNotFoundException.  I got them confused in my
- means that the class loader found the class.  But something else
went wrong shortly after  that.  For instance NoClassDefFoundError's
are often caused by static initializers failing.  Perhaps if you sent
me  the full exception trace it would help me understand what went
wrong.  Also a gander at your manifest might help.

>   I also set the jar file from eclipse too.

For building or for running?  Which jar?

I am wondering if you are trying something funny to run your plugin.
Our documentation does need some work but you can use our examples as
a baseline for learning out to run a plugin.  They can be checked out
from svn at [1] and [2].  They include build scripts so they can be
minimally run by

1. setting the PROTEGE_HOME environment to point to a Protege 4
distribution (use the latest build from [3])
2. installing the plugin with ant install
3. running Protege 4.

The plugins should then show up - [1] creates a menu item in the File
menu and [2] creates a tab that needs to be enabled through the Tabs
menu.  The plugin [2] is talked about in more detail in [5].

This gives a baseline and you can then start trying to run them from
within your development environment.  (I noticed a problem in [1]
which I just fixed.  So if you already have [1] you will need to
update.)  Also you may have read [4,5] already but I figure I would
give them a mention.

-Timothy

[1] http://smi-protege/repos/protege/protege4/examples/trunk/
org.protege.owl.attach