Reading Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file in XMLSpy: Invalid file!?

Reading Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file in XMLSpy: Invalid file!?

BassMan123
I tried reading-in a Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file using XMLSpy.  It displays, but says: "Element <rdf:RDF> has not been declared".

Is there something "funny" about Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML files that make them invalid XML?  I'd like to generate my own RDF/XML files from and XQuery script starting with some XML data I have, but there seems to be something "funny" about RDF files.

Note: I don't mean to imply that this is specific to Protege 4 RC1; it just happens to be the version of Protege I used to generate a file for reading into XMLSpy.

Re: Re ading Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file in XMLSpy: Invalid file!?

Nick Drummond
Hi,

The xml should be well formed.
Isn't this just because you are trying to validate against a schema?

Nick

2009/6/5 BassMan123 <[hidden email]>

I tried reading-in a Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file using XMLSpy.  It displays,
but says: "Element <rdf:RDF> has not been declared".

Is there something "funny" about Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML files that make them
invalid XML?  I'd like to generate my own RDF/XML files from and XQuery
script starting with some XML data I have, but there seems to be something
"funny" about RDF files.

Note: I don't mean to imply that this is specific to Protege 4 RC1; it just
happens to be the version of Protege I used to generate a file for reading
into XMLSpy.

Re: Re ading Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file in XMLSpy: Invalid file!?

BassMan123
At this point, I was just looking for "encouragement" that the output of (and input to) and Protege is valid XML.  I'm less clear what it means that XMLSpy "isn't happy". I didn't explicitly try to validate against a schema, but XMLSpy does check for "well-formed" XML when it loads a file.

For now, I need to learn more about XML, XPATH, namespaces, etc.  XQuery "choked" when I tried to write-out the RDF/XML header section, but that is hopefully just because I'm so weak on the basics...

Note: If anyone has any XQuery scripts that write-out valid RDF/XML files for Protege that they could share, that sure would "make my day"!

Nick Drummond wrote

2009/6/5 BassMan123 <pa_perucci@comcast.net>

> I tried reading-in a Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file using XMLSpy.  It displays,
> but says: "Element <rdf:RDF> has not been declared".
>
> Is there something "funny" about Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML files that make them
> invalid XML?  I'd like to generate my own RDF/XML files from and XQuery
> script starting with some XML data I have, but there seems to be something
> "funny" about RDF files.
>
> Note: I don't mean to imply that this is specific to Protege 4 RC1; it just
> happens to be the version of Protege I used to generate a file for reading
> into XMLSpy.

Re: Reading Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file in XMLSpy: Invalid file!?

BassMan123
OK, in checking a bit, I see these definitions:
* XML with correct syntax is "Well Formed" XML.
* XML validated against a DTD is "Valid" XML.

It turns out the Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML is "Well Formed"; it is not, however "Valid" (when loading a trivial Protege 4 RC1 output-file into XMLSpy).  I'm guessing there is an RDF DTD somewhere I need...

FYI, I get the same error message as XMLSpy at the XML validator located here: http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp

I created a simple Protege 4 RC1 file with classes for A, B and C, saved it, and cut/pasted it into the validator window at the above link.  I get: "The element 'rdf:RDF' is used but not declared in the DTD/Schema."

Re: Re ading Protege 4 RC1 RDF/XML file in XMLSpy: Invalid file!?

Nick Drummond
Hi

OWL isn't really designed to be validated against an xml schema, but I
think you should be able to run against an RDF DTD - there appear to
be some on the web if you google for RDF DTD (official? one at [1]).
If anyone else has had experience with this let us know.

Nick

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/9710rdf-dtd/rdf.dtd