Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals

Jana
Hello,

I am using Protégé 4.3 and Pellet for reasoning. In my ontology everything was good untill now. I had some classes, defined classes and individuals. The reasoning was good but now I've add some more classes and when I start reasoner now, it doesn't do anything. In right down corner it says "Reasoner Initialization in Progress" but I don't see any progress bar as normal and nothing is gonna happen. I've tried to wait like for example 30 and more minutes but still nothing. Without individuals in my ontology, the reasoner works..but these individuals are crucial for my ontology.

Here is my ontology. Thanks for any advice.

Food_OWL_individuals.owl

Re: Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals

It seems like you have a pretty complex ontology.  Pellet is just taking a long time to initialise.

I would usually recommend you try other reasoners if you’re experiencing performance problems e.g. FaCT++ or HermiT but you have rules in your ontology that FaCT++ ignores and that HermiT won’t deal with (because it does not support builtins).  In the case of FaCT++ reasoning appears to proceed very quickly, but you should be aware that you won’t get complete results because of the rules being ignored.

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 00:14, Jana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am using Protégé 4.3 and Pellet for reasoning. In my ontology everything
> was good untill now. I had some classes, defined classes and individuals.
> The reasoning was good but now I've add some more classes and when I start
> reasoner now, it doesn't do anything. In right down corner it says "Reasoner
> Initialization in Progress" but I don't see any progress bar as normal and
> nothing is gonna happen. I've tried to wait like for example 30 and more
> minutes but still nothing. Without individuals in my ontology, the reasoner
> works..but these individuals are crucial for my ontology.
>
> Here is my ontology. Thanks for any advice.
>
> Food_OWL_individuals.owl
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4669276/Food_OWL_individuals.owl>

Re: Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals

Jana
Thank you for your prompt reply. That is what I was thinking(I just didn't thought that my ontology would be complex) . Now I am using Fact++ just to see if there are any errors and in the end I will try Pellet.

Do you think that running ontology on different computer could make reasoning faster?

Thanks again :) Jana

It seems like you have a pretty complex ontology.  Pellet is just taking a long time to initialise.

I would usually recommend you try other reasoners if you’re experiencing performance problems e.g. FaCT++ or HermiT but you have rules in your ontology that FaCT++ ignores and that HermiT won’t deal with (because it does not support builtins).  In the case of FaCT++ reasoning appears to proceed very quickly, but you should be aware that you won’t get complete results because of the rules being ignored.

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 00:14, Jana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am using Protégé 4.3 and Pellet for reasoning. In my ontology everything
> was good untill now. I had some classes, defined classes and individuals.
> The reasoning was good but now I've add some more classes and when I start
> reasoner now, it doesn't do anything. In right down corner it says "Reasoner
> Initialization in Progress" but I don't see any progress bar as normal and
> nothing is gonna happen. I've tried to wait like for example 30 and more
> minutes but still nothing. Without individuals in my ontology, the reasoner
> works..but these individuals are crucial for my ontology.
>
> Here is my ontology. Thanks for any advice.
>
> Food_OWL_individuals.owl
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4669276/Food_OWL_individuals.owl>

http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Reasoner-doesn-t-work-with-Individuals-tp4669276p4669284.html
To unsubscribe from Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals, click here.
NAML

Re: Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals

Hi Jana,

It’s unlikely that running the reasoner on a different computer will help.  You might want to check how much memory is being used by Protege during reasoning so that you can determine whether Protege is running out of memory.

On 3 Aug 2017, at 00:02, Jana <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply. That is what I was thinking(I just didn't thought that my ontology would be complex) . Now I am using Fact++ just to see if there are any errors and in the end I will try Pellet.

Do you think that running ontology on different computer could make reasoning faster?

Thanks again :) Jana

2017-08-02 21:12 GMT+02:00 Matthew Horridge-2 [via Protege Project] <<a href="x-msg://3/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4669293&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>:
Hi,

It seems like you have a pretty complex ontology.  Pellet is just taking a long time to initialise.

I would usually recommend you try other reasoners if you’re experiencing performance problems e.g. FaCT++ or HermiT but you have rules in your ontology that FaCT++ ignores and that HermiT won’t deal with (because it does not support builtins).  In the case of FaCT++ reasoning appears to proceed very quickly, but you should be aware that you won’t get complete results because of the rules being ignored.

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 00:14, Jana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am using Protégé 4.3 and Pellet for reasoning. In my ontology everything
> was good untill now. I had some classes, defined classes and individuals.
> The reasoning was good but now I've add some more classes and when I start
> reasoner now, it doesn't do anything. In right down corner it says "Reasoner
> Initialization in Progress" but I don't see any progress bar as normal and
> nothing is gonna happen. I've tried to wait like for example 30 and more
> minutes but still nothing. Without individuals in my ontology, the reasoner
> works..but these individuals are crucial for my ontology.
>
> Here is my ontology. Thanks for any advice.
>
> Food_OWL_individuals.owl
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4669276/Food_OWL_individuals.owl>

http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Reasoner-doesn-t-work-with-Individuals-tp4669276p4669284.html
To unsubscribe from Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals, click here.
NAML

Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals

Jana
Hi Matthew,

it's about only 40 % of memory...so maybe it's because I have 64-bit system and this version of Protégé is just 32-bit? So maybe when I open my ontology in Protégé 5 could help...or is Protégé 5 also just 32-bit? Thank you for your help :)

Hi Jana,

It’s unlikely that running the reasoner on a different computer will help.  You might want to check how much memory is being used by Protege during reasoning so that you can determine whether Protege is running out of memory.

On 3 Aug 2017, at 00:02, Jana <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply. That is what I was thinking(I just didn't thought that my ontology would be complex) . Now I am using Fact++ just to see if there are any errors and in the end I will try Pellet.

Do you think that running ontology on different computer could make reasoning faster?

Thanks again :) Jana

2017-08-02 21:12 GMT+02:00 Matthew Horridge-2 [via Protege Project] <<a href="x-msg://3/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4669293&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>:

Hi,

It seems like you have a pretty complex ontology.  Pellet is just taking a long time to initialise.

I would usually recommend you try other reasoners if you’re experiencing performance problems e.g. FaCT++ or HermiT but you have rules in your ontology that FaCT++ ignores and that HermiT won’t deal with (because it does not support builtins).  In the case of FaCT++ reasoning appears to proceed very quickly, but you should be aware that you won’t get complete results because of the rules being ignored.

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 00:14, Jana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am using Protégé 4.3 and Pellet for reasoning. In my ontology everything
> was good untill now. I had some classes, defined classes and individuals.
> The reasoning was good but now I've add some more classes and when I start
> reasoner now, it doesn't do anything. In right down corner it says "Reasoner
> Initialization in Progress" but I don't see any progress bar as normal and
> nothing is gonna happen. I've tried to wait like for example 30 and more
> minutes but still nothing. Without individuals in my ontology, the reasoner
> works..but these individuals are crucial for my ontology.
>
> Here is my ontology. Thanks for any advice.
>
> Food_OWL_individuals.owl
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4669276/Food_OWL_individuals.owl>

http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Reasoner-doesn-t-work-with-Individuals-tp4669276p4669284.html
To unsubscribe from Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals, click here.
NAML

Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Reasoner-doesn-t-work-with-Individuals-tp4669276p4669305.html
To unsubscribe from Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals, click here.
NAML

Re: Reasoner doesn't work with Individuals

Hi Jana,

If you download any of the platform specific versions of Protege 5 then you’ll get a 64bit JVM.  The platform independent version uses whatever JVM you have on your system.

On 3 Aug 2017, at 12:54, Jana <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

it's about only 40 % of memory...so maybe it's because I have 64-bit system and this version of Protégé is just 32-bit? So maybe when I open my ontology in Protégé 5 could help...or is Protégé 5 also just 32-bit? Thank you for your help :)

2017-08-03 20:29 GMT+02:00 Matthew Horridge-2 [via Protege Project] <<a href="x-msg://15/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4669310&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>:
Hi Jana,

It’s unlikely that running the reasoner on a different computer will help.  You might want to check how much memory is being used by Protege during reasoning so that you can determine whether Protege is running out of memory.

On 3 Aug 2017, at 00:02, Jana <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply. That is what I was thinking(I just didn't thought that my ontology would be complex) . Now I am using Fact++ just to see if there are any errors and in the end I will try Pellet.

Do you think that running ontology on different computer could make reasoning faster?

Thanks again :) Jana

2017-08-02 21:12 GMT+02:00 Matthew Horridge-2 [via Protege Project] <<a href="<a href="x-msg://3/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;amp;node=4669293&amp;amp;i=0" class="">x-msg://3/user/<a href="x-msg://3/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;amp;node=4669293&amp;amp;i=0" class="">SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;<a href="x-msg://3/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;amp;node=4669293&amp;amp;i=0" class="">node=4669293&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>:

Hi,