Reasoning with RDBMS external data

natalia iglesias
Hello,

As far as I have seen, the reasoning process uses both the TBox and the
Abox, both as a part of the ontology. However many of the Abox assertions
are already available in external data stores (example Patient data already
exists in a Hospital Information System), such as RDBMSs or similar, so for
me it does not make sense to move lots of already existing data to OWL so
that reasoners can work. Is there any way or something planned to allow for
some kind of hybrid reasoning, using the OWL TBox for concepts and axioms
and an external data store (mapped to the TBox, of course) as ABox "facts"?

Thanks in advance
Natalia

Re: Reasoning with RDBMS external data

Lorenz B.
Ontop plugin

On 29.05.2018 15:18, natalia iglesias wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As far as I have seen, the reasoning process uses both the TBox and the
> Abox, both as a part of the ontology. However many of the Abox assertions
> are already available in external data stores (example Patient data already
> exists in a Hospital Information System), such as RDBMSs or similar, so for
> me it does not make sense to move lots of already existing data to OWL so
> that reasoners can work. Is there any way or something planned to allow for
> some kind of hybrid reasoning, using the OWL TBox for concepts and axioms
> and an external data store (mapped to the TBox, of course) as ABox "facts"?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Natalia

Re: Reasoning with RDBMS external data

natalia iglesias
Thank you Lorenz, I have read the ontop tutorial, but I have one question:
this works for queries from the ontology, but does it infer knowledge from
any reasoner?  (Pellet for example) In other words, does the reasoner use
the mapped attributes seamlessly as individuals in the reasoning process?

Natalia

Re: Reasoning with RDBMS external data

Ghislain ATEMEZING
Hi Nathalia,
[off topic]
You might also consider using an RDF Triple store [1] with reasoning capabilities to solve your use case.

HTH
Best,
Ghislain

El mié., 30 may. 2018 a las 12:02, natalia iglesias (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Thank you Lorenz, I have read the ontop tutorial, but I have one question:
this works for queries from the ontology, but does it infer knowledge from
any reasoner?  (Pellet for example) In other words, does the reasoner use
the mapped attributes seamlessly as individuals in the reasoning process?

Natalia

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none" (W. Shakespeare)
Web: http://atemezing.org