Reflexive properties in Protege

Bikash Gyawali
The specfication of domain and range for any property doesn't act as constraint.
It just acts as an axiom in OWL.
So, I am just creating properties (without specifying their domain and roles).
Later,I create restrictions on the property belonging to that respective class.

However, I see a problem in reflexive properties.
The reflexive property is automatically being assigned to all classes
in the ontology. I don't want that to happen. When I create a reflexive property,
I intend to act it so only for my particular class of choice.

With other types of properties, this is not a problem.
The reflexive property is "smarter" because it always knows its domain
and role beforehand. So, its getting attached to all classes in the ontology.

How can I restrict the reflexive property to a particular class?

Re: Reflexive properties in Protege

Alan Ruttenberg-2
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Bikash Gyawali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The specfication of domain and range for any property doesn't act as constraint.
> It just acts as an axiom in OWL.
> So, I am just creating properties (without specifying their domain and roles).
> Later,I create restrictions on the property belonging to that respective class.
>
> However, I see a problem in reflexive properties.
> The reflexive property is automatically being assigned to all classes
> in the ontology. I don't want that to happen. When I create a reflexive property,
> I intend to act it so only for my particular class of choice.
>
> With other types of properties, this is not a problem.
> The reflexive property is "smarter" because it always knows its domain
> and role beforehand. So, its getting attached to all classes in the ontology.
>

> How can I restrict the reflexive property to a particular class?

http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-new-features/#F4:_Self_Restriction
(you will need to use protege4.1 to get OWL 2 features)

-Alan

Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Bikash Gyawali <bikashg <at> live.com> wrote:
> > The specfication of domain and range for any property doesn't act as
constraint.
> > It just acts as an axiom in OWL.
> > So, I am just creating properties (without specifying their domain and
roles).
> > Later,I create restrictions on the property belonging to that respective
class.

> > However, I see a problem in reflexive properties.
> > The reflexive property is automatically being assigned to all classes
> > in the ontology. I don't want that to happen. When I create a reflexive
property,
> > I intend to act it so only for my particular class of choice.
> >
> > With other types of properties, this is not a problem.
> > The reflexive property is "smarter" because it always knows its domain
> > and role beforehand. So, its getting attached to all classes in the
ontology.

> > How can I restrict the reflexive property to a particular class?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-new-features/#F4:_Self_Restriction
> (you will need to use protege4.1 to get OWL 2 features)
>
> -Alan

Thanks, Alan. I understand the concept but I am not sure how to implement i
Protege.

I mean, the keywords and syntax(at the UI layer in Protege) is a bit different
from the underlying DL, right?

Can you please tell how I can do that? Thanks.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Bikash Gyawali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Bikash Gyawali <bikashg <at> live.com> wrote:
>> > The specfication of domain and range for any property doesn't act as
> constraint.
>> > It just acts as an axiom in OWL.
>> > So, I am just creating properties (without specifying their domain and
> roles).
>> > Later,I create restrictions on the property belonging to that respective
> class.
>> >
>> > However, I see a problem in reflexive properties.
>> > The reflexive property is automatically being assigned to all classes
>> > in the ontology. I don't want that to happen. When I create a reflexive
> property,
>> > I intend to act it so only for my particular class of choice.
>> >
>> > With other types of properties, this is not a problem.
>> > The reflexive property is "smarter" because it always knows its domain
>> > and role beforehand. So, its getting attached to all classes in the
> ontology.
>> >

>> > How can I restrict the reflexive property to a particular class?
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-new-features/#F4:_Self_Restriction
>> (you will need to use protege4.1 to get OWL 2 features)
>>
>> -Alan
>>

> Thanks, Alan. I understand the concept but I am not sure how to implement i
> Protege.
>
> I mean, the keywords and syntax(at the UI layer in Protege) is a bit different
> from the underlying DL, right?

If the property is "p" and you want to define p as "locally reflexive"
to class "C", then you would make a superclass of C be the expression
"p some Self", which means: for every instance c in C, there is a
value of property p which is c.

-Alan