Regarding ontology evaluation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Regarding ontology evaluation

Neha Sood
Hi All,

I would like to ask if there is any standard methodology to evaluate an ontology?
or
Best practices to evaluate an ontology/

Thanks in advance!

_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Regarding ontology evaluation

samsontu


On Sep 24, 2019, at 11:21 PM, Neha Sood <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

I would like to ask if there is any standard methodology to evaluate an ontology?
or
Best practices to evaluate an ontology/


Check out a recent survey paper:

McDaniel M, Storey VC. Evaluating Domain Ontologies. ACM Comput Surv 2019;52:1–44. doi:10.1145/3329124.

With best regards,
Samson



_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Regarding ontology evaluation

sanju tiwari
Hi Samson

You can use Themis, TDDonto or OOPs online tool to evaluate the ontology. They are the best tools for ontology evaluation .

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, 18:40 Samson Tu, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sep 24, 2019, at 11:21 PM, Neha Sood <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

I would like to ask if there is any standard methodology to evaluate an ontology?
or
Best practices to evaluate an ontology/


Check out a recent survey paper:

McDaniel M, Storey VC. Evaluating Domain Ontologies. ACM Comput Surv 2019;52:1–44. doi:10.1145/3329124.

With best regards,
Samson


_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user

_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Regarding ontology evaluation

David Whitten
Could you share some URLs for the online tools ?

Thanks.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:46 PM Dr. Sanju Tiwari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Samson

You can use Themis, TDDonto or OOPs online tool to evaluate the ontology. They are the best tools for ontology evaluation .

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, 18:40 Samson Tu, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sep 24, 2019, at 11:21 PM, Neha Sood <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

I would like to ask if there is any standard methodology to evaluate an ontology?
or
Best practices to evaluate an ontology/


Check out a recent survey paper:

McDaniel M, Storey VC. Evaluating Domain Ontologies. ACM Comput Surv 2019;52:1–44. doi:10.1145/3329124.

With best regards,
Samson


_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user

_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Regarding ontology evaluation

Biswanath Dutta
In reply to this post by Neha Sood


Dear Neha, 
        Are you interested to evaluate the structure of the ontology (syntax) or the quality (in terms of whether the developed ontology is fit to use for the purpose(s) it has been developed)? 

If the former one is the purpose, there are online tools like Dr. Tiwari pointed. 

But if the latter one is the purpose, then it is not easy. There are various approaches suggested by several ontology developers from time to time (e.g., OntoClean by Nicola Guarino and Chris Welthy). There are couple of state-of-the-art studies on the topic like the one Samson pointed which is the most recent one. 
In our previous works, we also suggested evaluation approaches, for one such example, see here: 
Dutta, B., Chatterjee, U. and Madalli, D. P. (2015). YAMO: Yet Another Methodology for Large-scale Faceted Ontology Construction. In Emerald Journal of Knowledge Management. Vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 6 – 24. 

Cheers,
Biswanath 


******************
Biswanath Dutta, Ph.D. 
DRTC, Indian Statistical Institute 
Bangalore 560059 
INDIA 



 


On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:51 AM Neha Sood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to ask if there is any standard methodology to evaluate an ontology?
or
Best practices to evaluate an ontology/

Thanks in advance!
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user

_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Regarding ontology evaluation

Neha Sood
Dear All,

Thanks for suggestions!
I have gone through all, and extracted few summary points, please improve my understanding if any mistake ther

From Dr Dutta suggestions,
For quality evaluation : Use a methodology
For structural  evaluation:  a ) Use Reasoner first available in protege
                                           b) Use tools available online ( As suggested by Dr. tiwari)
                                          Links of the tools and other info i found from papers (requested by David Whitten)
                                            Themis: http://themis.linkeddata.es/
                                            TDDOnto: a protege plugin (haven't tried yet)
                                            OOPS : http://oops.linkeddata.es/

 Rest , the survey paper suggested by Dr. Samson : I am trying to access but couldn't due to some technical issues. I will surely try to get through it because ACM computing surveys is a very authentic place to find good work

Please provide any other info, we should consider while evaluation!!

Best Regards


On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 8:46 AM Biswanath Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:


Dear Neha, 
        Are you interested to evaluate the structure of the ontology (syntax) or the quality (in terms of whether the developed ontology is fit to use for the purpose(s) it has been developed)? 

If the former one is the purpose, there are online tools like Dr. Tiwari pointed. 

But if the latter one is the purpose, then it is not easy. There are various approaches suggested by several ontology developers from time to time (e.g., OntoClean by Nicola Guarino and Chris Welthy). There are couple of state-of-the-art studies on the topic like the one Samson pointed which is the most recent one. 
In our previous works, we also suggested evaluation approaches, for one such example, see here: 
Dutta, B., Chatterjee, U. and Madalli, D. P. (2015). YAMO: Yet Another Methodology for Large-scale Faceted Ontology Construction. In Emerald Journal of Knowledge Management. Vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 6 – 24. 

Cheers,
Biswanath 


******************
Biswanath Dutta, Ph.D. 
DRTC, Indian Statistical Institute 
Bangalore 560059 
INDIA 



 


On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:51 AM Neha Sood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to ask if there is any standard methodology to evaluate an ontology?
or
Best practices to evaluate an ontology/

Thanks in advance!
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user

_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Regarding ontology evaluation

sanju tiwari
Dear Neha 

I will suggest you go through these papers, they have complete implementation of Ontology Evaluation of a Military Ontology. Here I have used OOPs tools which analyze the quality of ontology based on pitfalls.

Mishra, S., & Jain, S. (2019). An Intelligent Knowledge Treasure for Military Decision Support. International Journal of Web-Based Learning and Teaching Technologies (IJWLTT)14(3), 55-75.  

Mishra, S., Jain, S.: Ontologies as a semantic model in IoT. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 40, 1–11 (2018) . 

If you are facing any problem to get these papers let me know I will send you.

The best way to evaluate your ontology you can use the suggested tools. Themis tool is best for verification of ontology requirements and OOPs for validation of the ontology data.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 9:39 AM Neha Sood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All,

Thanks for suggestions!
I have gone through all, and extracted few summary points, please improve my understanding if any mistake ther

From Dr Dutta suggestions,
For quality evaluation : Use a methodology
For structural  evaluation:  a ) Use Reasoner first available in protege
                                           b) Use tools available online ( As suggested by Dr. tiwari)
                                          Links of the tools and other info i found from papers (requested by David Whitten)
                                            Themis: http://themis.linkeddata.es/
                                            TDDOnto: a protege plugin (haven't tried yet)
                                            OOPS : http://oops.linkeddata.es/

 Rest , the survey paper suggested by Dr. Samson : I am trying to access but couldn't due to some technical issues. I will surely try to get through it because ACM computing surveys is a very authentic place to find good work

Please provide any other info, we should consider while evaluation!!

Best Regards


On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 8:46 AM Biswanath Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:


Dear Neha, 
        Are you interested to evaluate the structure of the ontology (syntax) or the quality (in terms of whether the developed ontology is fit to use for the purpose(s) it has been developed)? 

If the former one is the purpose, there are online tools like Dr. Tiwari pointed. 

But if the latter one is the purpose, then it is not easy. There are various approaches suggested by several ontology developers from time to time (e.g., OntoClean by Nicola Guarino and Chris Welthy). There are couple of state-of-the-art studies on the topic like the one Samson pointed which is the most recent one. 
In our previous works, we also suggested evaluation approaches, for one such example, see here: 
Dutta, B., Chatterjee, U. and Madalli, D. P. (2015). YAMO: Yet Another Methodology for Large-scale Faceted Ontology Construction. In Emerald Journal of Knowledge Management. Vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 6 – 24. 

Cheers,
Biswanath 


******************
Biswanath Dutta, Ph.D. 
DRTC, Indian Statistical Institute 
Bangalore 560059 
INDIA 



 


On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:51 AM Neha Sood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to ask if there is any standard methodology to evaluate an ontology?
or
Best practices to evaluate an ontology/

Thanks in advance!
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user


--
Regards
Dr. Sanju Tiwari
Ontology Engineering Group
Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial
Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain
Member IEEE
Member Machine Intelligence Research Labs(MIR Lab), USA




_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user