Relations between classes other than sub-class

Relations between classes other than sub-class

Hugo Ferreira
Hi,

I would like to express a relationship between two classes in OWL DL
that is not a sub-class relationship. Specifically I have a concept
"tap" that has a "mounted-on" relationship with several several types of
"sanitary equipment" such as bathtub, bide, washbasin, etc.

My question is: how can I declare that an instance "Tap.123", which is a
sub-class of "tap" can be "mounted-on" any type of "bathtub". My problem
is that:

1. With a property of individuals I can only relate "Tap.123" with a
specific "bathtub.123", which is not what I really want.

2. I may later have classes of special types of bath tubs but want to
still be able to query all taps that can be mounted on bathtubs
irrespective of the specific type of bathtub (or I may specialize this
for specific bathtubs).

How should I go about this?

TIA,
Hugo F.

Re: Relations between classes other than sub-class

Nick Drummond
Hugo,

You could use the OWL DL Individuals Tab [1] to state that your
individual is related to an instance of BathTub - you don't have to
specify a named individual.

Nick

[1] http://www.co-ode.org/downloads/owldlindividualstab/co-ode-index.php

On 8 May 2006, at 12:00, Hugo Ferreira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to express a relationship between two classes in OWL
> DL that is not a sub-class relationship. Specifically I have a
> concept "tap" that has a "mounted-on" relationship with several
> several types of "sanitary equipment" such as bathtub, bide,
> washbasin, etc.
>
> My question is: how can I declare that an instance "Tap.123", which
> is a sub-class of "tap" can be "mounted-on" any type of "bathtub".
> My problem is that:
>
> 1. With a property of individuals I can only relate "Tap.123" with
> a specific "bathtub.123", which is not what I really want.
>
> 2. I may later have classes of special types of bath tubs but want
> to still be able to query all taps that can be mounted on bathtubs
> irrespective of the specific type of bathtub (or I may specialize
> this for specific bathtubs).
>
> How should I go about this?
>
> TIA,
> Hugo F.

Re: Relations between classes other than sub-class

helen.chen

Hi, Nick

What if I need to express the following relationship in protege?

:IVL_PQ   rdfs:subClassOf  :HL7Any;
                   a     rdf:List.

where :IVL_PQ is a owl:Class, at the same time, I also need to say it is a rdf:List.   This relationship is at the "Class" level, not individual level.

Helen Chen
http://www.agfa.com/w3c/hchen

Nick Drummond <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

05/09/2006 11:38 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[protege-owl] Re: Relations between classes other than sub-class

Hugo,

You could use the OWL DL Individuals Tab [1] to state that your
individual is related to an instance of BathTub - you don't have to
specify a named individual.

Nick

[1] http://www.co-ode.org/downloads/owldlindividualstab/co-ode-index.php

On 8 May 2006, at 12:00, Hugo Ferreira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to express a relationship between two classes in OWL
> DL that is not a sub-class relationship. Specifically I have a
> concept "tap" that has a "mounted-on" relationship with several
> several types of "sanitary equipment" such as bathtub, bide,
> washbasin, etc.
>
> My question is: how can I declare that an instance "Tap.123", which
> is a sub-class of "tap" can be "mounted-on" any type of "bathtub".
> My problem is that:
>
> 1. With a property of individuals I can only relate "Tap.123" with
> a specific "bathtub.123", which is not what I really want.
>
> 2. I may later have classes of special types of bath tubs but want
> to still be able to query all taps that can be mounted on bathtubs
> irrespective of the specific type of bathtub (or I may specialize
> this for specific bathtubs).
>
> How should I go about this?
>
> TIA,
> Hugo F.

Re: Relations between classes other than sub-class

Nick Drummond
Helen,

I thought you said it wasn't a subclass relationship?
You can add in multiple subclass relationships on the classes tab using the conditions widget.

Nick