Relationship representation

Shanthi Bala
Dear Sir/Madam,
           In general, is-a relationship exists between two classes. Is there any possibility of changing/representing different relationships (like relationship mentioned in ChEBI) in Protege.Can you help in this regard. Thanks in advance.

With regards,
Shanthi

Re: Relationship representation

Thomas Russ

On Feb 9, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Shanthi Bala wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>            In general, is-a relationship exists between two classes.
> Is there any possibility of changing/representing different
> relationships (like relationship mentioned in ChEBI) in Protege.Can
> you help in this regard. Thanks in advance.

You can define additional binary properties of your own.  That is how
you would represent other relationships.

Re: Relationship representation

Timothy Redmond
On 02/09/2011 11:09 PM, Shanthi Bala wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam,
           In general, is-a relationship exists between two classes. Is there any possibility of changing/representing different relationships (like relationship mentioned in ChEBI) in Protege.Can you help in this regard. Thanks in advance.

But ChEBI includes an OWL ontology [1] so perhaps everything said by ChEBI can be understood by Protege.

-Timothy

[1] ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/chebi/ontology/chebi.owl

With regards,
Shanthi

Re: Relationship representation

Shanthi Bala
Hi ,
    Thank You very much for your reply.
   I would like to visualize ontology (using any tool like OWLViz, etc) with different relationship except is-a (bcz it is default) . Using Protege 4.0.2, how we can represent the user defined relationship. Can you help in this regard.

          Thank you very much.

With regards,
Shanthi

Re: Relationship representation

arvind reddy
Hi everyone

Even I have the same doubt. Could somebody show it step wise since I tried in many ways but was not successful. I only get an is-a relationship in an ontology.(OWL-ViZ). Please explain with an exampleof an user defined relationship,
Arvind

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Shanthi Bala <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,
    Thank You very much for your reply.
   I would like to visualize ontology (using any tool like OWLViz, etc) with different relationship except is-a (bcz it is default) . Using Protege 4.0.2, how we can represent the user defined relationship. Can you help in this regard.

          Thank you very much.

With regards,
Shanthi

Re: Relationship representation

Alex Shkotin
Hi Shanthi and Arvind,

What is wrong with tutorials here:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege4UserDocs#Getting_started_.2F_tutorials
?

Alex

2011/2/12 arvind reddy <[hidden email]>
Hi everyone

Even I have the same doubt. Could somebody show it step wise since I tried in many ways but was not successful. I only get an is-a relationship in an ontology.(OWL-ViZ). Please explain with an exampleof an user defined relationship,
Arvind

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Shanthi Bala <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,
    Thank You very much for your reply.
   I would like to visualize ontology (using any tool like OWLViz, etc) with different relationship except is-a (bcz it is default) . Using Protege 4.0.2, how we can represent the user defined relationship. Can you help in this regard.

          Thank you very much.

With regards,
Shanthi

Re: Relationship representation

Shanthi Bala
Sir,
  Can we consider properties as relationship? If yes, How ChEBI contains only six relationship.

With regards,
P.Shanthi Bala

Re: Relationship representation

Alex Shkotin
Shanthi,

an object property is a relationship,
and a data property is like an attribute.

they have 9 object properties:

    * -  has_functional_parent
    * -  has_parent_hydride
    * -  has_part
    * -  has_role
    * -  is_conjugate_acid_of
    * -  is_conjugate_base_of
    * -  is_enantiomer_of
    * -  is_substituent_group_from
    * -  is_tautomer_of

and 10 annotation properties:

    * -  creator
    * -  date
    * -  description
    * -  InChI
    * -  InChIKey
    * -  label
    * -  SMILES
    * -  Synonym
    * -  title
    * -  xref

If for 28324 classes it seems too less,
then you should ask them as written in ontology label:
label "For any queries contact [hidden email] or http://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi"(string)

And the best way is to propose them some property - do you think they miss one?

Alex

On 02/14/2011 03:16 AM, Shanthi Bala wrote:
Sir,
  Can we consider properties as relationship? If yes, How ChEBI contains
only six relationship.

I am not sure how to convert this into something that I understand.  What do you mean by relationship?  What do you mean by "If yes, how?"?

I don't know anything about the content of Chebi - it is just another ontology that I can load into Protege.  I count nine object properties: has_functional_Parent, has_parent_hydride, has_part, has_role, is_conjugate_acid_of, etc.  I went to look at the usage of one of these properties and found an example:

(+)-8-hydroxycalamenene SubClassOf has_parent_hydride some cadinane

What this means is that any individual in the (+)-8-hydroxycalamenene class has a parent hydride that is in the cadinane class.  In addition the chebi ontology has annotation properties like InChI and InChIKey.  Does any of this count as a relationship?

-Timothy

With regards,
P.Shanthi Bala

Re: Relationship representation

Shanthi Bala
Sir,
  Thank you very much. Now we can consider object propoerty as a relationship. But When I am viewing the hierarchical representation(or ontology representation) using OWL Viz, it shows only is-a relationship between classes. How we can import that relations (has parent of, har hybride of,etc ad in ChEBI) in visualization.

Thank & regards,
Shanthi

Re: Relationship representation

jsluka
Take a look at the OntoGraph plugin. It is similar to OwlViz but will also display relationships other than isA.

Re: Relationship representation

blueonto
hi
i am trying to make an ontology with protege 4.2
i need more relation except is-a.
for ex i need include-consist of - part of ......
how can i define them. thanks