RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

jsluka

I accidently wiped the RenderByProperty tab and I can’t get it to restore. The Window menu’s “reset selected tab to default state” doesn’t seem to work. I’ve tried removing the tab from the interface (using the x on the tab) then reshowing it via Window tabs renderbyproperty but the tab is still blank.

James P. Sluka

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

Michael DeBellis-2
Try going to “Window>Tabs” You should see a list of all available tabs. The ones in the current UI are checked. Select the tab you want and it should be back.

Michael

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 30, 2019, at 7:39 AM, James Sluka <[hidden email]> wrote:

I accidently wiped the RenderByProperty tab and I can’t get it to restore. The Window menu’s “reset selected tab to default state” doesn’t seem to work. I’ve tried removing the tab from the interface (using the x on the tab) then reshowing it via Window tabs renderbyproperty but the tab is still blank.

James P. Sluka

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

jsluka

Nope.  If I uncheck the RenderByProperty the tab goes away. If I recheck RenderByPropoerty the tab comes back but it is still empty.  The “Reset selected tab to default state” option also doesn’t do anything.

Also, if I delete sub-windows on other tabs the “Reset selected tab to default state” doesn’t seem to work.

Protégé version 5.5.0 Build beta-9

Windows 7 (cringe)

Thanks

Jim

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

jsluka

I’m not sure where it came from. I just downloaded protégé 5.5.0 and the tab still shows up empty. Where is protégé getting the tab definitions that persists across versions? (I had the previous versions in other folders; 5.5.0-beta-9 and 5.0.0-RC2). I have a couple other tabs with the same problem, perhaps old plugins that I installed that aren’t in the new protégé folder but protégé is still getting a reference to them from somewhere?

BTW: A RenderByProerty tab would be really useful.

Jim

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

I’m not sure where it came from. I just downloaded protégé 5.5.0 and the tab still shows up empty. Where is protégé getting the tab definitions that persists across versions? (I had the previous versions in other folders; 5.5.0-beta-9 and 5.0.0-RC2). I have a couple other tabs with the same problem, perhaps old plugins that I installed that aren’t in the new protégé folder but protégé is still getting a reference to them from somewhere?

It could be old plugins.  I’m wondering whether this is a custom tab, added via the “Window” -> “Create tab…” menu item.  Are you able to select “Window” -> “Delete custom tabs…”?  If so, is this “RenderByProperty” tab in the list?

BTW: A RenderByProerty tab would be really useful.

“Render by property” doesn’t mean anything to me…. what would you want this tab to show?

Jim

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

jsluka

I think I see where they are coming from. They are listed under <windows> <Delete custom tabs…> and I guess I can delete them there. How is Protégé getting this info in a new install? Is it copying from a configuration file in older installs?

Jim

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

jsluka

“Render by property” doesn’t mean anything to me…. what would you want this tab to show?

Create a hierarchy using relationships other than superclass/subclass (isA). For example, UBERON includes “part of” relationships. It would be useful to be able to render the hierarchy using that.  Some of the graph tools will render using edges other than subclass but they are, uh, less than visually pleasing.

Jim

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

jsluka

Thanks Mathew, that view isn’t perfect but it is useful.

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

Michael DeBellis-2
>Create a hierarchy using relationships other than superclass/subclass (isA).
>For example, UBERON includes “part of” relationships.
>It would be useful to be able to render the hierarchy using that.

Have you tried the Individual Hierarchy Tab? I think it's a plugin. You get a list of properties on the left and their nested values on the right. So for example if hasPart is a property you can click on it and get Car1 as a value at the top level which can expand to Engine1 which can expand to Piston1, etc. This works for any property.

Michael

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 3:06 PM James Sluka <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Mathew, that view isn’t perfect but it is useful.

Re: RenderByProperty tab in Protege 5

jsluka

I tried the Individual hierarchy tab and it only works on individuals. It wont construct a tree of classes.