Right Usage of Protege

Yogeshkode
What is the intent of Protege in the context of existing applications? Is
Protege intended for information exchange over the web?

What is the intent of Protege? Can you build an entire application from it?
Does it have a database backend where it stores individuals/instances?

I have used Protege and created some ontologies. I must say it is very
powerful. But its purpose in terms of existing applications and in terms of
creating a new application is where I have questions about?

I would like to use the rich features of Protege to build a web application
(using ReactJS, d3.js as an example) with a database backend. Can I do that?

Re: Right Usage of Protege

Lorenz Buehmann
I don't understand what you're asking here...Protege doesn't build any
application for you.

Protege = OWL ontology editor, nothing more, nothing less

-> use Protege to create an ontology. then do whatever you want with
this ontology. I don't think that you'll find a guide here how to build
a web application.

That's more than off-topic

On 03.07.2018 23:23, Yogeshkode wrote:

> What is the intent of Protege in the context of existing applications? Is
> Protege intended for information exchange over the web?
>
> What is the intent of Protege? Can you build an entire application from it?
> Does it have a database backend where it stores individuals/instances?
>
> I have used Protege and created some ontologies. I must say it is very
> powerful. But its purpose in terms of existing applications and in terms of
> creating a new application is where I have questions about?
>
> I would like to use the rich features of Protege to build a web application
> (using ReactJS, d3.js as an example) with a database backend. Can I do that?

Re: Right Usage of Protege

I agree with what Lorenz said. Protege is a data modeling tool. As you said it is very powerful (especially when combined with SWRL) but it doesn't give you a complete application. It can use relational databases or triple stores as it's back end to store data.  What most people do is use Java to build complete applications. Also, I know of at least one company that is using Python but I think the support in Java is better.  There is a Java library called Jenna that allows you to take OWL ontologies and create Java classes and instances for them.

I recommend you get a book on Semantic Web Programming. Actually there is a book that is called just that: Semantic Web Programming published by Wiley by Hebeler et. al. that is very good. It may be a bit dated but while the versions of the tools are different the basic tools described in that book: a Java IDE, Protege, Jenna, etc. are still well supported. That book walks you through setting up a complete Semantic Web environment of which Protege is just one part. I realize you have some other tools that you want to use but looking at that book will at least give you an idea of the various kinds of tools you typically need.

Another good book is Programming the Semantic Web published by O'Reilly written by Toby Segaran et. al. That book focuses more on the back end technologies like triple stores.

Hope that helps.

Michael