Rules and Pellet

Olga Yanenko
Hello List,

I have some Problems using Protégé 4.0.2.

First:
I try to download the Pellet reasoner plugin since one week, but I
always get a "connection timed out"-exception. It is also impossible to
connect to the Pellet homepage. Does someone know, what's the problem
with the Pellet server?

Second:
I need to use SWRL rules in my ontology. But if I write a rule in the
"Rules" tab an start the Fact++ reasoner, I always get a "failed to load
axiom"-exception. Did someone have the same problem? I didn't find
anything about it.

What other options do I have, if I want to work with OWL, Rules and
Reasoning?

Olga.

Re: Rules and Pellet

regmito
Hi Olga,
I have no problem in accessing the Pellet website
http://clarkparsia.com/pellet.

FaCT++ does not support many datatypes and SWRL built-ins. When you use them
in rules, it throws an exception. Looking at the exception message, you can
determine which unsupported datatype or SWRL built-in is the reason for the
exception. But FaCT++ works well on large ontologies without extensive usage
of SWRL for numeric calculations.

If your rules use many datatypes and numeric calculations, then Pellet is a
better choice.

You can also try other reasoners:
http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/reasoners.html. But I cannot recommend or
comment their usage as I have no experience in working with them.

Cheers,
Igor

Re: Rules and Pellet

Olga Yanenko
Hi Igor, hi list,

thank you for your response. In the meantime I was able to download the
Pellet plugin (1.0.3). Now there is a file in the plugins folder called
"com.clarkparsia.protege.plugin.pellet.jar".

But I get that exception when I start Protégé:

ERROR Could not install plugin in file/directory named
plugins\com.clarkparsia.protege.plugin.pellet.jar
org.protege.editor.core.BundleManager[Start Level Event Dispatcher]
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Error converting plugin at
C:\Program
Files\Protege_4.0.2\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\5\1\bundlefile.

Perhaps the problem is, that in
"Protege_4.0.2\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\" there are only
folders called "3", "4", "6", "7", "8", "9", "10" but no folder "5".

It also seems curious to me that the plugin size is only 61 kb while the
fact++ plugin has 3674 kb.

I tried to install the Pellet plugin within Protégé 4.0.2 on Windows 7
as well as on Windows XP. It is always the same and I can't find a
solution on the web. The Pellet reasoner suits best for my purposes, so
I would be very glad if someone could help me with my installation problems.

Thank you in advance.

Igor Toujilov schrieb:

> Hi Olga,
> I have no problem in accessing the Pellet website
> http://clarkparsia.com/pellet.
>
> FaCT++ does not support many datatypes and SWRL built-ins. When you use them
> in rules, it throws an exception. Looking at the exception message, you can
> determine which unsupported datatype or SWRL built-in is the reason for the
> exception. But FaCT++ works well on large ontologies without extensive usage
> of SWRL for numeric calculations.
>
> If your rules use many datatypes and numeric calculations, then Pellet is a
> better choice.
>
> You can also try other reasoners:
> http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/reasoners.html. But I cannot recommend or
> comment their usage as I have no experience in working with them.
>
> Cheers,
> Igor

Re: Rules and Pellet

regmito
File com.clarkparsia.protege.plugin.pellet.jar should be over 1MB in size.
It seems you have got a truncated file. Try downloading it again.

Igor Toujilov schrieb:
> Hi Olga,
> I have no problem in accessing the Pellet website
> http://clarkparsia.com/pellet.
>
> FaCT++ does not support many datatypes and SWRL built-ins. When you use
them
> in rules, it throws an exception. Looking at the exception message, you
can
> determine which unsupported datatype or SWRL built-in is the reason for
the
> exception. But FaCT++ works well on large ontologies without extensive
usage
> of SWRL for numeric calculations.
>
> If your rules use many datatypes and numeric calculations, then Pellet is

> better choice.
>
> You can also try other reasoners:
> http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/reasoners.html. But I cannot recommend or
> comment their usage as I have no experience in working with them.
>
> Cheers,
> Igor

Re: Rules and Pellet

Olga Yanenko
Thank you for this information. I downloaded the plugin from within my
university network and now everything works. It seems like it is
something wrong with my internet connection...

Igor Toujilov schrieb:

> File com.clarkparsia.protege.plugin.pellet.jar should be over 1MB in size.
> It seems you have got a truncated file. Try downloading it again.

Re: Rules and Pellet

Rajverma
hi P4 team,

I'm encountering similar problems... I just now re-installed the laaatest protege 4 (build 115), hoping if this could fetch me the Pellet plugin... but no, it doesn't even find any updates or downloads for Pellet... it searches for a while for updates/downloads and then informs me that there aren't any!!

what could be the problem! definitely can't be internet connection...

hi Olga, or the team, is it possible that you send me this jar file by mail!?

cheers,
Raj

Re: Rules and Pellet

Olga Yanenko
Hi Raj,

if you want, I can send it per mail if you give your email address. But
it's very curious, I is exactly the same problem I had while I never had
other problems with my internet connection... It seems like either Clark
& Parsia does't like my connection or my connection doesn't like them ;)

Olga.