SHACL Plugin for Protege?

Michael DeBellis-2
Is there a plugin that people would recommend for SHACL and Protege? I found this: https://github.com/fekaputra/shacl-plugin  which says that it works with Protege 5.5 but I was wondering why it's not included in the list of plugins in the Check for Plugins dialog. The installation instructions look pretty straight, but I wanted to check if anyone has opinions if this is a good tool, are there better ones, or do people think it is  better to work with other tools (hopefully free, if so which ones?) than Protege when using SHACL. I'm just learning SHACL so I apologize I know these are really basic questions but I want to learn it ASAP. Thanks for any feedback.

Re: SHACL Plugin for Protege?

Lorenz Buehmann

Hi Michael,

when developing a plugin one has to ask the Protege people for registering it  in their registry. Not everybody developing Protege plugins is doing this for sure. One of the reasons is also that you'd ideally maintain the plugin especially when it comes to keeping it aligned with newer Protege versions.

Afaik, there is no "official" Protege plugin from the SHACL guys - especially with one of them ( Holger Knublauch) being from TopQuadrant with their competing product TopRaid Composer :D

I didn't check the Protege plugin, but I know SHACL is at least very well and strongly integrated in TopRaid Composer.

Lorenz

On 10.01.20 18:41, Michael DeBellis wrote:
Is there a plugin that people would recommend for SHACL and Protege? I found this: https://github.com/fekaputra/shacl-plugin  which says that it works with Protege 5.5 but I was wondering why it's not included in the list of plugins in the Check for Plugins dialog. The installation instructions look pretty straight, but I wanted to check if anyone has opinions if this is a good tool, are there better ones, or do people think it is  better to work with other tools (hopefully free, if so which ones?) than Protege when using SHACL. I'm just learning SHACL so I apologize I know these are really basic questions but I want to learn it ASAP. Thanks for any feedback.

Re: SHACL Plugin for Protege?

Don Rolph
We have been testing this plugin as part of the Allotrope effort.

The plugin uses a recent version of the SHACL libraries which is critical since the older libraries do not meet the present specification.

The plugin supports convenient testing of files opened with Protege.

There are several points to remember:

- the SHACL editor is a free form text editor:  there is no syntax checking to assist in your authoring effort
- the SHACL plugin does not support imports
- the triples in Protege have been read through the OWL API.  If this is a pure RDF graph, not an OWL ontology, the OWL API creates additional artifacts to provide OWL ontology functionality:  since these triples are not in the original RDF graph, certain SHACL violations may be triggered by the presence of these additional triples

All in all a solid functional implementation of SHACL and quite usable particularly for training and early testing.

I would love to see this plugin developed further to increase the functionality of the plugin and to create a production SHACL environment in Protege.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:41 PM Michael DeBellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a plugin that people would recommend for SHACL and Protege? I found this: https://github.com/fekaputra/shacl-plugin  which says that it works with Protege 5.5 but I was wondering why it's not included in the list of plugins in the Check for Plugins dialog. The installation instructions look pretty straight, but I wanted to check if anyone has opinions if this is a good tool, are there better ones, or do people think it is  better to work with other tools (hopefully free, if so which ones?) than Protege when using SHACL. I'm just learning SHACL so I apologize I know these are really basic questions but I want to learn it ASAP. Thanks for any feedback.

73,
AB1PH
Don Rolph

Re: SHACL Plugin for Protege?

Michael DeBellis-2
Thanks Lorenz and Don. I downloaded the TopBraid Composer free version and I like it. The tutorial was very straight forward and it gave me a good understanding of SHACL.

Lorenz thanks for that explanation about the plugins, that makes sense. I've tried that SHACL Protege plugin and had an issue with it but I think I accidentally downloaded the wrong version. I contacted one of the developers (André Wolski) and he gave me some good feedback and pointed me to the newer version.

I agree with Don, it would be great to have a robust version of a SHACL plugin with Protege. As I think about the questions we see on the list I think people wanting to do data validation and not understanding they need to use SHACL rather than OWL comes up frequently.

Michael