SKOS in webprotege

Mike Havey

My team uses WebProtege to define an ontology. We also want to build a thesaurus based on SKOS. I see that WebProtege makes it relatively easy to add skos labels to classes and individuals. But is it possible to define SKOS concepts in WebProtege? If so, do you have examples showing how? How, in this case, do I import the SKOS ontology so that I can reference it to create my concepts?

Thank you,

--

Mike Havey

MarkLogic Consulting Services

[hidden email]

613-327-8690

Re: SKOS in webprotege

samsontu
On Jan 10, 2020, at 10:42 AM, Mike Havey <[hidden email]> wrote:

My team uses WebProtege to define an ontology. We also want to build a thesaurus based on SKOS. I see that WebProtege makes it relatively easy to add skos labels to classes and individuals. But is it possible to define SKOS concepts in WebProtege? If so, do you have examples showing how? How, in this case, do I import the SKOS ontology so that I can reference it to create my concepts?

See https://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/skos-and-owl/master.html, for options on how to use SKOS and OWL together, if you haven’t seen it before.

With best regards,
Samson

Re: SKOS in webprotege

Mike Havey

Thanks, but that’s not at all what I’m asking. My question is a tool question. Anyone worked with SKOS in a serious way in web protégé? If so, wouldn’t you need to do something like import the SKOS ontology  in order to make the tool aware of concepts, schemes, broader/narrower, etc? I can’t see a way to do that in Web Protégé. Wondering if I need to switch to a more capable tool (like full Protégé, TopBraid, or other).

--

Mike Havey

MarkLogic Consulting Services

[hidden email]

613-327-8690

Re: SKOS in webprotege

Philippe.Genoud@imag.fr

Le 10/02/2020 à 14:

I cannot answer the question specifically on WebProtégé but Vocbench
http://vocbench.uniroma2.it/ can be an alternative to WebProtégé  for
collaborative edition of a SKOS Thesaurus

Philippe

39, Mike Havey a écrit :

> Thanks, but that’s not at all what I’m asking. My question is a tool
> question. Anyone worked with SKOS in a serious way in web protégé? If
> so, wouldn’t you need to do something like import the SKOS ontology
>  in order to make the tool aware of concepts, schemes,
> broader/narrower, etc? I can’t see a way to do that in Web Protégé.
> Wondering if I need to switch to a more capable tool (like full
> Protégé, TopBraid, or other).
>
> --
>
> Mike Havey
>
> MarkLogic Consulting Services
>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> 613-327-8690
>
> *From: *protege-user <[hidden email]> on
> behalf of Samson Tu <[hidden email]>
> *Date: *Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 12:57 PM
> *To: *User support for WebProtege and Protege Desktop
> <[hidden email]>
> *Subject: *Re: [protege-user] SKOS in webprotege
>
>     On Jan 10, 2020, at 10:42 AM, Mike Havey <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     My team uses WebProtege to define an ontology. We also want to
>     build a thesaurus based on SKOS. I see that WebProtege makes it
>     relatively easy to add skos labels to classes and individuals. But
>     is it possible to define SKOS concepts in WebProtege? If so, do
>     you have examples showing how? How, in this case, do I import the
>     SKOS ontology so that I can reference it to create my concepts?
>
> See https://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/skos-and-owl/master.html, for
> options on how to use SKOS and OWL together, if you haven’t seen it
> before.
>

> /With best regards,/
>
> /Samson/

Philippe Genoud
Universite Grenoble Alpes
STEAMER group
Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble (LIG)
Bâtiment IMAG
700 avenue Centrale
Domaine Universitaire - 38401 St Martin d'Hères

Re: SKOS in webprotege

samsontu

You can use Desktop Protege to create an ontology that import

and then upload it to Web Protege.

With best regards,
Samson

On Feb 10, 2020, at 5:39 AM, Mike Havey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, but that’s not at all what I’m asking. My question is a tool question. Anyone worked with SKOS in a serious way in web protégé? If so, wouldn’t you need to do something like import the SKOS ontology  in order to make the tool aware of concepts, schemes, broader/narrower, etc? I can’t see a way to do that in Web Protégé. Wondering if I need to switch to a more capable tool (like full Protégé, TopBraid, or other).

--
Mike Havey
MarkLogic Consulting Services
613-327-8690

Re: SKOS in webprotege

Mike Havey

Do you have any instructions how to upload the ontology? Bear in mind what I’m really doing here: designing ontology A, which depends on ontology B. In web protégé I am currently editing ontology A. How do I tell web protégé about the dependency on ontology B. This should be obvious and it’s not.

--

Mike Havey

MarkLogic Consulting Services

[hidden email]

613-327-8690

Re: SKOS in webprotege

samsontu
Hi,

I was going to suggest that you download your ontology A, add the import statement in Desktop Protege, and then use "Project/Apply External Edits” menu item to upload the edited ontology. However, “Apply External Edits” apparently doesn’t recognize the added import statement. (I filed an issue at "https://github.com/protegeproject/protege/issues/941”)

The workaround is to download your ontology A (go to Home page and use the action menu to the right of the listed project), add the import statement in Desktop Protege, and create a new project by choosing the edited ontology to upload. (If you are importing ontologies in local files, see [1] for instruction.)

With best regards,
Samson