SWRL editing in protégé 4

Pallinger Péter-2
I have recently explored the SWRL editing and execution capabilities of protégé 3.4 and
4.0. The SWRL editor of 3.4 is quite OK. Execution, on the other hand, requires JESS and
even then it is not fully integrated.

Protégé 4.0 beta (Version 4.0.109) however can infer upon SWRL rules using both pellet
1.5 and 2.0. The only problem is, that I can only display SWRL rules using the 'Rules'
ontology view.

My question is whether it is possible to create and/or edit rules in Protégé 4 somehow.
It would make Protégé 4 the perfect platform for our project.

Thanks in advance for your answer!

        PP

Re: SWRL editing in protégé 4

Kaarel Kaljurand
Hi,

2009/3/31 Pallinger Péter <[hidden email]>:

> My question is whether it is possible to create and/or edit rules in Protégé 4 somehow.
> It would make Protégé 4 the perfect platform for our project.

This is possible in the upcoming build, see the svn log:

r13519 | drummond | 2009-03-25 14:45:54 +0100 (Wed, 25 Mar 2009) | 1 line
Rule editing enabled using OWL API parser (adapted from v3)

--
kaarel

Re: SWRL editing in protégé 4

Kaarel Kaljurand
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Kaarel Kaljurand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/3/31 Pallinger Péter <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> My question is whether it is possible to create and/or edit rules in Protégé 4 somehow.
>> It would make Protégé 4 the perfect platform for our project.
>
> This is possible in the upcoming build, see the svn log:
>
> r13519 | drummond | 2009-03-25 14:45:54 +0100 (Wed, 25 Mar 2009) | 1 line
> Rule editing enabled using OWL API parser (adapted from v3)

Related to this, question to the Protege 4/OWL-API developers:

Do you plan to add a possibility to serialize SWRL rules as XML?
I mean the XML without RDF.
The "OWL/XML Rendering" view currently displays "NOT IMPLEMENTED".

Also, it is currently possible to annotate SWRL rules (i.e. with axiom
annotations).
These annotations, however, are not serialized in RDF/XML, which is the
only way to serialize SWRL rules currently.

Bug report: if I try to save the rules as OWL/XML, then the "NOT IMPLEMENTED"
exception is thrown but a file (an empty one) is still generated onto
my filesystem.

--
kaarel

Re: SWRL editing in protégé 4

Fornara Nicoletta
It is not possible to edit SWRL rules in protégé 4.0 and certain rules have some problems (see my post in February).

I use this solution: I edit SWRL rules with protege 3.4 save them in the .owl file and copy them in the protégé 4.0 .owl file, and open the file with protégé 4.0 where I can only browse the rules. In protégé 4.0 you can use pellet 1.5 or the plug-in pellet 2.0 to reason on SWRL rules without using the Jess bridge.

My main problem is that when I open the .owl file with rules with protégé 4.0 I am not any more able to save it. If I want to change the ontology I have to remove the rules, change the ontology and insert them again.
If you find a better solution please let us know!

Regards
Nicoletta Fornara

Re: SWRL editing in protégé 4

Nick Drummond
Hi All,

P4 build 110 will have basic editing support for rules. This is simply in the form of a SWRL expression editor hooked up to the OWL API parser.
I will have to look at the serialisation issues (not supported by OWL/XML and rendering of axiom annotations in RDF/XML).

Nick

2009/3/31 Fornara Nicoletta <[hidden email]>
Hi,
It is not possible to edit SWRL rules in protégé 4.0 and certain rules have some problems (see my post in February).

I use this solution: I edit SWRL rules with protege 3.4 save them in the .owl file and copy them in the protégé 4.0 .owl file, and open the file with protégé 4.0 where I can only browse the rules. In protégé 4.0 you can use pellet 1.5 or the plug-in pellet 2.0 to reason on SWRL rules without using the Jess bridge.

My main problem is that when I open the .owl file with rules with protégé 4.0 I am not any more able to save it. If I want to change the ontology I have to remove the rules, change the ontology and insert them again.
If you find a better solution please let us know!

Regards
Nicoletta Fornara

Re: SWRL editing in protégé 4

Michel_Dumontier