SWRL tab in protege 4.2

Quratulain Rajput
Dear All,

SWRL tab is not visible in protege 4.2. Please help me to activate it.

Regards,
Anny

Re: SWRL tab in protege 4.2

Hi Anny,

The SWRL tab doesn't currently work with Protege 4.x  It is being ported though.

There is a basic rule editor in Protege 4.2.  You need to place the rules view into one of the tabs on the Protege 4 window.  Selected Window -> Views -> Ontology Views -> Rules  from the menu.

On 27 Nov 2011, at 16:58, Quratulain Rajput wrote:

Dear All,

SWRL tab is not visible in protege 4.2. Please help me to activate it.

Regards,
Anny

Re: SWRL tab in protege 4.2

Quratulain Rajput
Thanks I got it.

how we can execute these rules?

Anny

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anny,

The SWRL tab doesn't currently work with Protege 4.x  It is being ported though.

There is a basic rule editor in Protege 4.2.  You need to place the rules view into one of the tabs on the Protege 4 window.  Selected Window -> Views -> Ontology Views -> Rules  from the menu.

On 27 Nov 2011, at 16:58, Quratulain Rajput wrote:

Dear All,

SWRL tab is not visible in protege 4.2. Please help me to activate it.

Regards,
Anny

Re: SWRL tab in protege 4.2

Hi Anny,

You would need to use either Pellet or HermiT, which take rules into consideration when reasoning.

On 28 Nov 2011, at 21:50, Quratulain Rajput wrote:

> Thanks I got it.
>
> how we can execute these rules?
>
> Anny
>

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Anny,
>
> The SWRL tab doesn't currently work with Protege 4.x  It is being ported though.
>
> There is a basic rule editor in Protege 4.2.  You need to place the rules view into one of the tabs on the Protege 4 window.  Selected Window -> Views -> Ontology Views -> Rules  from the menu.
>

> <PastedGraphic-1.png>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>

> On 27 Nov 2011, at 16:58, Quratulain Rajput wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> SWRL tab is not visible in protege 4.2. Please help me to activate it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anny

Re: SWRL tab in protege 4.2

Quratulain Rajput
Deer Mathew,

The necessary and sufficient condition we define in protege using equivalence class which is similar to these SWRL rule. So why we need SWRL. also we can perform reasoning on equivalence class condition. Actually I couldn't understand the difference in their use.
Anny

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anny,

You would need to use either Pellet or HermiT, which take rules into consideration when reasoning.

On 28 Nov 2011, at 21:50, Quratulain Rajput wrote:

> Thanks I got it.
>
> how we can execute these rules?
>
> Anny
>

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Anny,
>
> The SWRL tab doesn't currently work with Protege 4.x  It is being ported though.
>
> There is a basic rule editor in Protege 4.2.  You need to place the rules view into one of the tabs on the Protege 4 window.  Selected Window -> Views -> Ontology Views -> Rules  from the menu.
>

> <PastedGraphic-1.png>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>

> On 27 Nov 2011, at 16:58, Quratulain Rajput wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> SWRL tab is not visible in protege 4.2. Please help me to activate it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anny

Re: SWRL tab in protege 4.2

Timothy Redmond
On 12/01/2011 02:33 AM, Quratulain Rajput wrote:
Deer Mathew,

The necessary and sufficient condition we define in protege using equivalence class which is similar to these SWRL rule. So why we need SWRL. also we can perform reasoning on equivalence class condition. Actually I couldn't understand the difference in their use.

If you can state something using an equivalent class condition then I think that this formulation is preferable to the SWRL version.

Most reasoners assume the DL-safe semantics for SWRL rules that means that the SWRL rule is only applicable to named individuals.  There is also a stronger semantics defined in the w3c submission [1] but this has the disadvantage that it does not lead to a decidable language.

Thus stating the constraint as an equivalent class condition is stronger and will be understood in its strong form by all reasoners.

-Timothy

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/

Anny

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anny,

You would need to use either Pellet or HermiT, which take rules into consideration when reasoning.

On 28 Nov 2011, at 21:50, Quratulain Rajput wrote:

> Thanks I got it.
>
> how we can execute these rules?
>
> Anny
>

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Anny,
>
> The SWRL tab doesn't currently work with Protege 4.x  It is being ported though.
>
> There is a basic rule editor in Protege 4.2.  You need to place the rules view into one of the tabs on the Protege 4 window.  Selected Window -> Views -> Ontology Views -> Rules  from the menu.
>

> <PastedGraphic-1.png>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>

> On 27 Nov 2011, at 16:58, Quratulain Rajput wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> SWRL tab is not visible in protege 4.2. Please help me to activate it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anny

Re: SWRL tab in protege 4.2

On 1 Dec 2011, at 07:42, Timothy Redmond wrote:

> On 12/01/2011 02:33 AM, Quratulain Rajput wrote:
>> Deer Mathew,
>>
>> The necessary and sufficient condition we define in protege using equivalence class which is similar to these SWRL rule. So why we need SWRL. also we can perform reasoning on equivalence class condition. Actually I couldn't understand the difference in their use.
>
> If you can state something using an equivalent class condition then I think that this formulation is preferable to the SWRL version.
>
> Most reasoners assume the DL-safe semantics for SWRL rules that means that the SWRL rule is only applicable to named individuals.  There is also a stronger semantics defined in the w3c submission [1] but this has the disadvantage that it does not lead to a decidable language.
>
> Thus stating the constraint as an equivalent class condition is stronger and will be understood in its strong form by all reasoners.

Yes, not all OWL reasoners support reasoning with rules.  Therefore, if you can express what you want to say using OWL axioms rather than rules, use axioms -- save rules for the cases where you can't express what you want to say in vanilla OWL (e.g. where you need to describe non-tree shaped structures etc.).