Slots as slot values

Arno Hartholt

Hi all,

Is there a reason why one can only select classes and instances as slot
values and not other slots?

Thanks,

Arno

Re: Slots as slot values

Thomas Russ

On Jun 7, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Arno Hartholt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a reason why one can only select classes and instances as
> slot
> values and not other slots?

Do you mean

a) You want to have a slot object itself be the value of some slot

or

b) You want slot A to have the same fillers as slot B and enforce
this as a constraint

Re: Slots as slot values

Arno Hartholt

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there a reason why one can only select classes and instances as
> > slot
> > values and not other slots?
>
> Do you mean
>
> a) You want to have a slot object itself be the value of some slot

That is what I mean, yes. So I want the value of a slot to be some other
slot.

Example: we have a class Person and a class Age with a slot Age-value of
type integer. Now I want to define partial world states. In this case, I
want a definition of the state age-of-person. This definition would
consist of three slots:

Object: instance of Person
Attribute: class Age
Value: slot Age-value

At this point I'm only interested in the general definition; i.e., I
don't care that John Smith is 35, I only care what information makes up
a age-of-person state.

The line 'value: slot Age-value' is not possible in Protege, though, and
I'm wondering if there's any specific reason why it is not allowed.

Arno

Re: Slots as slot values

samsontu

A slot is an instance of :STANDARD-SLOT. Make your "Value" slot to be
instance-valued, with allowed class :STANDARD-SLOT. Then slot
"Age-value" can be the value of a slot.

Samson

Arno Hartholt wrote:

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Is there a reason why one can only select classes and instances as
>>>slot
>>>values and not other slots?
>>
>>Do you mean
>>
>>a) You want to have a slot object itself be the value of some slot
>

> That is what I mean, yes. So I want the value of a slot to be some other
> slot.
>
> Example: we have a class Person and a class Age with a slot Age-value of
> type integer. Now I want to define partial world states. In this case, I
> want a definition of the state age-of-person. This definition would
> consist of three slots:
>
> Object: instance of Person
> Attribute: class Age
> Value: slot Age-value
>
> At this point I'm only interested in the general definition; i.e., I
> don't care that John Smith is 35, I only care what information makes up
> a age-of-person state.
>
> The line 'value: slot Age-value' is not possible in Protege, though, and
> I'm wondering if there's any specific reason why it is not allowed.
>
> Arno

Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: Slots as slot values

Arno Hartholt

Ah, that's making me very happy :)

Thanks!