Slow startup of Protege 4.3

Johannes Scharf
Hello!

Protege 4.3 needs about 5 minutes to startup completely on my Windows 7 machine.

I have a rather aggressive antivirus program installed which scans all except a view directories. Protege 4.3 seems to unpack some libraries into the local temp folder of the current user. Unfortunately this causes the anivirus software to scan that bundles and hence slowing down the startup process significantly.

Is there a way to change the temporary directory of Protege 4.3? I guess that would solve the problem.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Johannes

Re: Slow startup of Protege 4.3

Johannes Scharf
I've already tried to deactive plugin update check on startup hence checking for updates shouldn't slow down the startup process anymore.
Unfortunately I cannot change the policy of the antivirus as this machine is owned by my company.

So, any suggestions on how to change Protege's temporary directory?
Thanks!

Re: Slow startup of Protege 4.3

Timothy Redmond
On 04/17/2014 02:56 AM, Johannes Scharf wrote:
I've already tried to deactive plugin update check on startup hence checking for updates shouldn't slow down the startup process anymore.
Unfortunately I cannot change the policy of the antivirus as this machine is owned by my company.

So, any suggestions on how to change Protege's temporary directory?

You can change the temporary directory used by java by adding a line to the java command line like so:

          -Djava.io.tmpdir={your-path-to-the-temporary-directory}

How you arrange this depends on how you start Protege.  The most likely method is that you double-click an icon or get it from the start menu.  In that case, you can add a line to the Protege.lax file.  In my test I used

        java.io.tmpdir=/tmp/pt

and the temporary directory was /tmp/pt.  If you start Protege with a script you need to modify the command line parameters.  In my script (Linux) I tested the following:

/usr/local/java/jdk1.7.0_45/bin/java -Xmx2000M -Xms250M \
     -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/pt \
     -server \
     -Dlog4j.configuration=file:log4j.xml \
     -DentityExpansionLimit=100000000 \
     -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 \
     -classpath bin/felix.jar:bin/ProtegeLauncher.jar \
     org.protege.osgi.framework.Launcher

I didn't test this on Windows but I think it might work.

-Timothy

Thanks!

Re: Slow startup of Protege 4.3

Johannes Scharf
Thanks, setting java.io.tmpdir solved the problem. Protege 4.3 starts up in less than 2 seconds.