Some explanation about usage of SPARQL query

Some explanation about usage of SPARQL query

dariux
Hi everybody! I'm new in using Protegè and i have completed my first ontology about football.. i've started the reasoner and tried to do some queries through SPARQL panel.
Now, in the ontology all reasoner infer the same things (highlighted in yellow) hence i think they work at the same way for me. The problem is that i have:

class Person with a subclass Coach. I have an individual "C" that is an instance of Coach.
If i query for Coach i receive "C", while if i query for Person i receive no individuals.

I've looked for about this problem but i haven't found a very precise explanation about. Someone can help me? I suppose that the problem is SPARQL, defined for standard RDF and not for OWL but i would be sure about this.

In alternative, which query language/tool can i use to receive also inferred individuals/axioms?

Thanks to all.
Merry Christmas

Dario

Re: Some explanation about usage of SPARQL query

fennieliang
use DL query in protege 4.1, 4.2 should give you the inferred "C" for Person class.

Fennie

On 24 Dec 2012, at 10:03, dariux wrote:

> Hi everybody! I'm new in using Protegè and i have completed my first ontology
> about football.. i've started the reasoner and tried to do some queries
> through SPARQL panel.
> Now, in the ontology all reasoner infer the same things (highlighted in
> yellow) hence i think they work at the same way for me. The problem is that
> i have:
>
> class Person with a subclass Coach. I have an individual "C" that is an
> instance of Coach.
> If i query for Coach i receive "C", while if i query for Person i receive no
> individuals.
>
> I've looked for about this problem but i haven't found a very precise
> explanation about. Someone can help me? I suppose that the problem is
> SPARQL, defined for standard RDF and not for OWL but i would be sure about
> this.
>
> In alternative, which query language/tool can i use to receive also inferred
> individuals/axioms?
>
> Thanks to all.
> Merry Christmas
>
> Dario

Re: Some explanation about usage of SPARQL query

dariux
thanks fennieliang, i saw DL-query and i found also SQWRL language(have you ever used the second one?). But i would like to know why doesn't SPARQL work on inferred axioms?

Also, do you have a guide to master DL-query at all? In DL-query, it seems i cannot ask for number of individuals or other functions as in SPARQL (e.g. count).
 I found only this little reference on Manchester syntax (http://www.co-ode.org/resources/reference/manchester_syntax/)

Tnx again,
Dario

Re: Some explanation about usage of SPARQL query

fennieliang
Hi Dario,

There is a count automatically appear above the list of individuals in Protege query result screen.

I always use DL query as it is quite easy for me.

The protege wiki has examples on using DL query. http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/DLQueryTab#Class_query_examples

Best Wishes,

Fennie

On 24 Dec 2012, at 10:44, dariux wrote:

> thanks fennieliang, i saw DL-query and i found also SQWRL language(have you
> ever used the second one?). But i would like to know why doesn't SPARQL work
> on inferred axioms?
>
> Also, do you have a guide to master DL-query at all? In DL-query, it seems i
> cannot ask for number of individuals or other functions as in SPARQL (e.g.
> count).
> I found only this little reference on Manchester syntax
> (http://www.co-ode.org/resources/reference/manchester_syntax/)
>
> Tnx again,
> Dario

Re: Some explanation about usage of SPARQL query

dariux
Ok Fennie, thank you very much for your availability. I believe at the end i'm going to use DL-query too. Obviously, while waiting someone clarify me about SPARQL-query question. :D (i don't give up easily eheh)

Bye,

Dario

Re: Some explanation about usage of SPARQL query

SPARQL is basically a query language for RDF and has no implicit
reasoning included (Maybe later with entailment regimes some kind of
reasoning is included in the specs). Internally a pattern matching is
done, to find some result if exist. Reasoning is mostly an expensive
mechanism, some of the triple stores have some built in support. As far
as I remember, here in the discussions it was mentioned that the SPARQL
plugin currently does not support reasoning.

Regards,
Lorenz