SparQL and Optional

Scott L Holmes
I'm just not getting it. I think there's an issue. Or perhaps someone can point out my error.

In using the Pizza Ontology that ships with Protege-OWL 2.2.

Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_3
Create DeepPanBase DeepPanBase_6
NamedPizza_3 hasBase DeepPanBase_6

Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_4
Create a ThinAndCrispyBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
NamedPizza_4 hasBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7

Create a PizzaTopping PizzaTopping_1
NamedPizza_4 hasTopping PizzaTopping_1

SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
WHERE {
 ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
 ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.
}

NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1

SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
WHERE {
 ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
OPTIONAL{ ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.}
}

Query Failed: Null

I would expect to see
NamedPizza_3 ThinAndCrispyBase_6 _nothing_
NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be like opening a door!

Scott

Re: SparQL and Optional

Mark Feblowitz
I've seen the same behavior.

Reading both the SPARQL doc and the ARQ doc, it appears as though
this ought to work. I'm wondering if it's a problem with
Protege-Owl's display mechanism, which may be expecting bindings for
all SELECTed variables.

Mark

At 12:40 PM 2/15/2006, Scott L Holmes wrote:

>I'm just not getting it. I think there's an issue. Or perhaps
>someone can point out my error.
>
>In using the Pizza Ontology that ships with Protege-OWL 2.2.
>
>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_3
>Create DeepPanBase DeepPanBase_6
>NamedPizza_3 hasBase DeepPanBase_6
>
>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_4
>Create a ThinAndCrispyBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>NamedPizza_4 hasBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>
>Create a PizzaTopping PizzaTopping_1
>NamedPizza_4 hasTopping PizzaTopping_1
>
>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>WHERE {
>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>  ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.
>}
>
>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>
>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>WHERE {
>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>OPTIONAL{ ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.}
>}
>
>Query Failed: Null
>I would expect to see
>NamedPizza_3 ThinAndCrispyBase_6 _nothing_
>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be like opening a door!
>
>Scott

Re: SparQL and Optional

Hai Wang
Hi Mark,
I added it to the bug tracker. Thanks
http://www.co-ode.org/mantis/view.php?id=374

Regards
Hai

On 15 Feb 2006, at 18:37, Mark Feblowitz wrote:

> I've seen the same behavior.
>
> Reading both the SPARQL doc and the ARQ doc, it appears as though
> this ought to work. I'm wondering if it's a problem with Protege-
> Owl's display mechanism, which may be expecting bindings for all
> SELECTed variables.
>
> Mark
>

> At 12:40 PM 2/15/2006, Scott L Holmes wrote:
>> I'm just not getting it. I think there's an issue. Or perhaps
>> someone can point out my error.
>>
>> In using the Pizza Ontology that ships with Protege-OWL 2.2.
>>
>> Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_3
>> Create DeepPanBase DeepPanBase_6
>> NamedPizza_3 hasBase DeepPanBase_6
>>
>> Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_4
>> Create a ThinAndCrispyBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>> NamedPizza_4 hasBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>>
>> Create a PizzaTopping PizzaTopping_1
>> NamedPizza_4 hasTopping PizzaTopping_1
>>
>> SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>> WHERE {
>>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>>  ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.
>> }
>>
>> NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>>
>> SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>> WHERE {
>>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>> OPTIONAL{ ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.}
>> }
>>
>> Query Failed: Null
>> I would expect to see
>> NamedPizza_3 ThinAndCrispyBase_6 _nothing_
>> NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>>
>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be like opening
>> a door!
>>
>> Scott

> subscribe.html

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

Re: SparQL and Optional

Scott L Holmes
Thanks Mark.

I'm curious though. What's a binding for a SELECT variable?

Scott

On 2/15/06, Mark Feblowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen the same behavior.

Reading both the SPARQL doc and the ARQ doc, it appears as though
this ought to work. I'm wondering if it's a problem with
Protege-Owl's display mechanism, which may be expecting bindings for
all SELECTed variables.

Mark

At 12:40 PM 2/15/2006, Scott L Holmes wrote:

>I'm just not getting it. I think there's an issue. Or perhaps
>someone can point out my error.
>
>In using the Pizza Ontology that ships with Protege-OWL 2.2.
>
>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_3
>Create DeepPanBase DeepPanBase_6
>NamedPizza_3 hasBase DeepPanBase_6
>
>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_4
>Create a ThinAndCrispyBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>NamedPizza_4 hasBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>
>Create a PizzaTopping PizzaTopping_1
>NamedPizza_4 hasTopping PizzaTopping_1
>
>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>WHERE {
>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>  ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.
>}
>
>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>
>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>WHERE {
>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>OPTIONAL{ ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.}
>}
>
>Query Failed: Null
>I would expect to see
>NamedPizza_3 ThinAndCrispyBase_6 _nothing_
>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be like opening a door!
>
>Scott

Re: SparQL and Optional

Mark Feblowitz
The SELECT statements identifies the variables you'd like values for, when the query is satisfied. For each successful match to the graph pattern (the WHERE clause), values from the data (individuals, property values) are "bound" to the variables (PizzaTopping_1 bound to ?Topping)

Generally, the assumption is that for every set of result data returned, there is a value bound to each SELECT variable. But in the case where the only opportunity to bind a value to a variable is within an OPTIONAL clause, and no value was found, there is no binding in that result set. The ARQ document show a result set containing only variables with values bound to them.

If the Protege display code expects a value for each variable, it would throw an exception when one variable doesn't have a value bound to it. I'm suspecting that's what happened. Not your fault - a potential bug in the display code.

Mark

At 06:54 AM 2/16/2006, you wrote:
Thanks Mark.

I'm curious though. What's a binding for a SELECT variable?

Scott

On 2/15/06, Mark Feblowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen the same behavior.

Reading both the SPARQL doc and the ARQ doc, it appears as though
this ought to work. I'm wondering if it's a problem with
Protege-Owl's display mechanism, which may be expecting bindings for
all SELECTed variables.

Mark

At 12:40 PM 2/15/2006, Scott L Holmes wrote:
>I'm just not getting it. I think there's an issue. Or perhaps
>someone can point out my error.
>
>In using the Pizza Ontology that ships with Protege-OWL 2.2.
>
>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_3
>Create DeepPanBase DeepPanBase_6
>NamedPizza_3 hasBase DeepPanBase_6
>
>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_4
>Create a ThinAndCrispyBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>NamedPizza_4 hasBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>
>Create a PizzaTopping PizzaTopping_1
>NamedPizza_4 hasTopping PizzaTopping_1
>
>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>WHERE {
>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>  ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.
>}
>
>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>
>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>WHERE {
>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>OPTIONAL{ ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.}
>}
>
>Query Failed: Null
>I would expect to see
>NamedPizza_3 ThinAndCrispyBase_6 _nothing_
>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be like opening a door!
>
>Scott

Re: SparQL and Optional

Scott L Holmes
Ok, Thanks Mark. I wanted ot make sure that I'm understanding what I'm doing and that I'm not misinterpreting what I'm reading in the SparQL docs.

Protege-OWL+SparQL is like a Titan-Centaur rocket getting ready to roar into cyberspace, me thinks. I'm just totally blown away at what I _can_ do at the moment.

Scott

At 06:54 AM 2/16/2006, you wrote:
Thanks Mark.

I'm curious though. What's a binding for a SELECT variable?

Scott

On 2/15/06, Mark Feblowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen the same behavior.

Reading both the SPARQL doc and the ARQ doc, it appears as though
this ought to work. I'm wondering if it's a problem with
Protege-Owl's display mechanism, which may be expecting bindings for
all SELECTed variables.

Mark

At 12:40 PM 2/15/2006, Scott L Holmes wrote:
>I'm just not getting it. I think there's an issue. Or perhaps
>someone can point out my error.
>
>In using the Pizza Ontology that ships with Protege-OWL 2.2.
>
>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_3
>Create DeepPanBase DeepPanBase_6
>NamedPizza_3 hasBase DeepPanBase_6
>
>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_4
>Create a ThinAndCrispyBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>NamedPizza_4 hasBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>
>Create a PizzaTopping PizzaTopping_1
>NamedPizza_4 hasTopping PizzaTopping_1
>
>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>WHERE {
>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>  ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.
>}
>
>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>
>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>WHERE {
>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>OPTIONAL{ ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.}
>}
>
>Query Failed: Null
>I would expect to see
>NamedPizza_3 ThinAndCrispyBase_6 _nothing_
>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be like opening a door!
>
>Scott

Re: SparQL and Optional

Mark Feblowitz
At 03:10 PM 2/16/2006, you wrote:
Protege-OWL+SparQL is like a Titan-Centaur rocket getting ready to roar into cyberspace, me thinks. I'm just totally blown away at what I _can_ do at the moment.

Yeah  - and I can't wait to ride the rocket into hyperspace, when the SWRL reasoners are integrated...

Mark

Re: SparQL and Optional

Mark Feblowitz
Hai -

I noticed that the problem occurs even when a "*" is specified in the
SELECT criteria.

Mark

At 03:41 PM 2/15/2006, you wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>I added it to the bug tracker. Thanks
>http://www.co-ode.org/mantis/view.php?id=374
>
>Regards
>Hai
>
>On 15 Feb 2006, at 18:37, Mark Feblowitz wrote:
>
>>I've seen the same behavior.
>>
>>Reading both the SPARQL doc and the ARQ doc, it appears as though
>>this ought to work. I'm wondering if it's a problem with Protege-
>>Owl's display mechanism, which may be expecting bindings for all
>>SELECTed variables.
>>
>>Mark
>>

>>At 12:40 PM 2/15/2006, Scott L Holmes wrote:
>>>I'm just not getting it. I think there's an issue. Or perhaps
>>>someone can point out my error.
>>>
>>>In using the Pizza Ontology that ships with Protege-OWL 2.2.
>>>
>>>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_3
>>>Create DeepPanBase DeepPanBase_6
>>>NamedPizza_3 hasBase DeepPanBase_6
>>>
>>>Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_4
>>>Create a ThinAndCrispyBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>>>NamedPizza_4 hasBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>>>
>>>Create a PizzaTopping PizzaTopping_1
>>>NamedPizza_4 hasTopping PizzaTopping_1
>>>
>>>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>>>WHERE {
>>>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>>>  ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.
>>>}
>>>
>>>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>>>
>>>SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>>>WHERE {
>>>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>>>OPTIONAL{ ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.}
>>>}
>>>
>>>Query Failed: Null
>>>I would expect to see
>>>NamedPizza_3 ThinAndCrispyBase_6 _nothing_
>>>NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>>>
>>>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be like opening
>>>a door!
>>>
>>>Scott

>Regards
>Hai
>

>Research Associate
>Department of Computer Science
>Kilburn Building
>University of Manchester
>Oxford Road
>Manchester M13 9PL
>UK
>Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

Re: SparQL and Optional

Hai Wang
Hi Mark,
Many thanks for letting us know it.

Regards
Hai

On 2 Mar 2006, at 18:12, Mark Feblowitz wrote:

> Hai -
>
> I noticed that the problem occurs even when a "*" is specified in
> the SELECT criteria.
>
> Mark
>
> At 03:41 PM 2/15/2006, you wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>> I added it to the bug tracker. Thanks
>> http://www.co-ode.org/mantis/view.php?id=374
>>
>> Regards
>> Hai
>>
>> On 15 Feb 2006, at 18:37, Mark Feblowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen the same behavior.
>>>
>>> Reading both the SPARQL doc and the ARQ doc, it appears as though
>>> this ought to work. I'm wondering if it's a problem with Protege-
>>> Owl's display mechanism, which may be expecting bindings for all
>>> SELECTed variables.
>>>
>>> Mark

>>> subscribe.html
>>
>> Regards
>> Hai
>>

>> Research Associate
>> Department of Computer Science
>> Kilburn Building
>> University of Manchester
>> Oxford Road
>> Manchester M13 9PL
>> UK
>> Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

> subscribe.html

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

Re: [protege-owl] SparQL and Optional

Massimo Coletti
I tried also to use the API from Java, but the result is:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.model.query.SPARQLQueryResults.next(Unknown
Source)

when a variable from an OPTIONAL block is unbound.

Maybe, in the code block:

       for (int i = 0; i < vars.size(); i++) {
            String varName = (String) vars.get(i);
            RDFNode varNode = soln.get(varName);

after assigning varNode, a null test is required.

Massimo Coletti

Mark Feblowitz ha scritto:

> I've seen the same behavior.
>
> Reading both the SPARQL doc and the ARQ doc, it appears as though this
> ought to work. I'm wondering if it's a problem with Protege-Owl's
> display mechanism, which may be expecting bindings for all SELECTed
> variables.
>
> Mark
>

> At 12:40 PM 2/15/2006, Scott L Holmes wrote:
>> I'm just not getting it. I think there's an issue. Or perhaps someone
>> can point out my error.
>>
>> In using the Pizza Ontology that ships with Protege-OWL 2.2.
>>
>> Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_3
>> Create DeepPanBase DeepPanBase_6
>> NamedPizza_3 hasBase DeepPanBase_6
>>
>> Create a NamedPizza NamedPizza_4
>> Create a ThinAndCrispyBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>> NamedPizza_4 hasBase ThinAndCrispyBase_7
>>
>> Create a PizzaTopping PizzaTopping_1
>> NamedPizza_4 hasTopping PizzaTopping_1
>>
>> SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>> WHERE {
>>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>>  ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.
>> }
>>
>> NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>>
>> SELECT ?Pizza ?Base ?Topping
>> WHERE {
>>  ?Pizza :hasBase ?Base.
>> OPTIONAL{ ?Pizza :hasTopping ?Topping.}
>> }
>>
>> Query Failed: Null
>> I would expect to see
>> NamedPizza_3 ThinAndCrispyBase_6 _nothing_
>> NamedPizza_4 ThinAndCrispyBase_7 PizzaTopping_1
>>
>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be like opening a
>> door!
>>
>> Scott

unauthorized and may be illegal.

Re: [protege-owl] SparQL and Optional

Massimo Coletti
I see that the bug is still present in Protégé build 331.

A possible workaround is the usage of a isBound filter expression, but I
wasn't able to understand the correct syntax.

Can someone provide an example?

I will be grateful!

Massimo Coletti