Subject/IRIs of header (Active Ontology tab) annotations

Subject/IRIs of header (Active Ontology tab) annotations

Varanka, Dalia
Hello
When a user imports an ontology, some annotations appear in the ontology header, the Active ontology tab, of the ontology receiving the import. Those annotations are relevant to the import, but maybe not to the main ontology.  For example, a hasAuthor property is for the import, not the main ontology.
Is there a way to know if the annotation is limited to the import ontology, perhaps through its IRI, or if it now refers to the the main ontology file?   I'm trying to decide if it's better to delete annotations that do not clearly refer to the main ontology.
Thanks
Dalia

--
Dalia Varanka
U.S. Geological Survey

Tel. 573.308.3897
ORCID: 0000-0003-2857-9600

Re: Subject/IRIs of header (Active Ontology tab) annotations

samsontu
Hi,

On May 15, 2019, at 8:00 AM, Varanka, Dalia <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello
When a user imports an ontology, some annotations appear in the ontology header, the Active ontology tab, of the ontology receiving the import. Those annotations are relevant to the import, but maybe not to the main ontology.  For example, a hasAuthor property is for the import, not the main ontology.
Is there a way to know if the annotation is limited to the import ontology, perhaps through its IRI, or if it now refers to the the main ontology file?   I'm trying to decide if it's better to delete annotations that do not clearly refer to the main ontology.

I can’t reproduce this behavior. Is it possible for you to share the ontologies where you see this behavior? Are other people seeing this behavior?

With best regards,
Samson

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Subject/IRIs of header (Active Ontology tab) annotations

Varanka, Dalia
Thanks for your reply Samson.
Here is a screen shot of the Active Ontology tab of an ontology of literary geography (prefix lg: ).
It imports the 'Place' ontology from the OntologyDesignPatterns.org site.
Aldo Gangemi is the author of 'Place' but not LiteraryGeography; another person is the creator of LG.
I am debating whether to leave the hasAuthor triple or not.

image.png

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 12:40 AM Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am not doubting your description of the problem. I can’t reproduce your problem on my ontologies (i.e., ontology annotations of imported ontologies don’t appear in the importing ontology header). The issue is some difference either between our Protege configuration or between our ontologies. Having access to your ontologies would help to isolate the problem.

With best regards,
Samson

On May 16, 2019, at 6:44 AM, Varanka, Dalia <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The ontology file is attached.
I think I may have found the problem
There is also an annotations schema file that was imported

LitGISv2.owl (88K) Download Attachment

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Subject/IRIs of header (Active Ontology tab) annotations

samsontu
Those ontology annotations that appear in your importing ontology are not imported. They occur in the importing ontology, as you can easily see in a text editor view of the importing ontology file. If they are not proper annotations of the importing ontology, yes, delete them.

With best regards,
Samson

On May 16, 2019, at 1:14 PM, Varanka, Dalia <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

How do we get to the text editor view?

On May 16, 2019, at 1:33 PM, Varanka, Dalia <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks.
How do we get to the text editor view?

Launch your favorite text editor (MS Word, Note++, BBEdit, or whatever), and open the LitGISv2.owl file.

One thing: it's best NOT to edit the .owl file in your text editor.

With best regards,
Samson

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 3:26 PM Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Those ontology annotations that appear in your importing ontology are not imported. They occur in the importing ontology, as you can easily see in a text editor view of the importing ontology file. If they are not proper annotations of the importing ontology, yes, delete them.

<PastedGraphic-2.png>