Subject: interaction between Protege and reasoners

Hugo Ferreira
Hi,

I would like to know what interactions occur between the reasoner and
Protege. Specifically when the reasoner infers new relations, are these
available to us?

My objective is to use SPARQL and develop queries that can use the
inferred relationships (for example use the least common ancestor in
queries). Has anyone done this before? Are there any documents that
describe this? Is this standardised?

TIA,
Hugo Ferreira.

Re: Subject: interaction between Protege and reasoners

Carlo Torniai-2
Hugo I've developed Java based programs that, using Racer, retrieve
the inferred model and perform queries on it. I don't think that the
inferred model can be accessed through Protégé GUI, i guess.
Carlo

On 5/5/06, Hugo Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know what interactions occur between the reasoner and
> Protege. Specifically when the reasoner infers new relations, are these
> available to us?
>
> My objective is to use SPARQL and develop queries that can use the
> inferred relationships (for example use the least common ancestor in
> queries). Has anyone done this before? Are there any documents that
> describe this? Is this standardised?
>
> TIA,
> Hugo Ferreira.

Re: Subject: interaction between Protege and reasoners

Hugo Ferreira
Hi Carlo,

Appreciate the feedback.

Carlo Torniai wrote:
> Hugo I've developed Java based programs that, using Racer, retrieve
> the inferred model and perform queries on it.

If I understand correctly your application depends on the specific
interfaces of the reasoner? If so is their any reason why you did not
use a standard like DIG?

> I don't think that the inferred model can be accessed through Protégé GUI, i guess.

Hmmm, this doesn't seem to make sense. Protege uses several reasoners
via DIG. I figured it has to store this information somewhere in order
to be able to query and obtain the inferred super, subclasses and instances.

Can anyone confirm this?

TIA,
Hugo Ferreira.

> Carlo
>

> On 5/5/06, Hugo Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know what interactions occur between the reasoner and
>> Protege. Specifically when the reasoner infers new relations, are these
>> available to us?
>>
>> My objective is to use SPARQL and develop queries that can use the
>> inferred relationships (for example use the least common ancestor in
>> queries). Has anyone done this before? Are there any documents that
>> describe this? Is this standardised?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Hugo Ferreira.

Re: Subject: interaction between Protege and reasoners

Carlo Torniai-2
On 5/5/06, Hugo Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Carlo,
>
> Appreciate the feedback.
>
> Carlo Torniai wrote:
> > Hugo I've developed Java based programs that, using Racer, retrieve
> > the inferred model and perform queries on it.
>
> If I understand correctly your application depends on the specific
> interfaces of the reasoner? If so is their any reason why you did not
> use a standard like DIG?

Good question. I had started to work woth racer... that's the fact..

> > I don't think that the inferred model can be accessed through Protégé GUI, i guess.
>
> Hmmm, this doesn't seem to make sense. Protege uses several reasoners
> via DIG. I figured it has to store this information somewhere in order
> to be able to query and obtain the inferred super, subclasses and instances.

Yes. Of course Protégé store the information somewhere at list in
memory as inferred model.
What I was saying is that you have to access the Protégé code or
develop I plugin 'cause there's no funcionality that allows you to
access the inferred model directly from the GUI.
As far as I know.

Carlo Torniai wrote:

> On 5/5/06, Hugo Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Carlo,
>>
>> Appreciate the feedback.
>>
>> Carlo Torniai wrote:
>> > Hugo I've developed Java based programs that, using Racer, retrieve
>> > the inferred model and perform queries on it.
>>
>> If I understand correctly your application depends on the specific
>> interfaces of the reasoner? If so is their any reason why you did not
>> use a standard like DIG?
>>

> Good question. I had started to work woth racer... that's the fact..

Ok.

>> > I don't think that the inferred model can be accessed through
>> Protégé GUI, i guess.
>>
>> Hmmm, this doesn't seem to make sense. Protege uses several reasoners
>> via DIG. I figured it has to store this information somewhere in order
>> to be able to query and obtain the inferred super, subclasses and
>> instances.
>>
> Yes. Of course Protégé store the information somewhere at list in
> memory as inferred model.
> What I was saying is that you have to access the Protégé code or
> develop I plugin 'cause there's no funcionality that allows you to
> access the inferred model directly from the GUI.
> As far as I know.
>
>> Can anyone confirm this?

Sorry. I misunderstood you.

Would be nice if we could sort of merge the file and its inferred
relationships in Protege and query that via the various query plugins
transparently.

Regards,
Hugo F.

>> TIA,
>> Hugo Ferreira.
>>

>> > Carlo

>> these

Re: Subject: interaction between Protege and reasoners

Nick Drummond
I don't understand what you mean "there's no funcionality that allows
you to access the inferred model directly from the GUI".

The inferred tree and the inferred checkbox on the classes tab and
some of the individuals tab allows this.

Plus, you can save the inferred version and do what you want with it.

Nick

On 5 May 2006, at 14:49, Hugo Ferreira wrote:

> Hi Carlo,
>
> Carlo Torniai wrote:
>> On 5/5/06, Hugo Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Carlo,
>>>
>>> Appreciate the feedback.

>>> retrieve
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly your application depends on the specific
>>> interfaces of the reasoner? If so is their any reason why you did
>>> not
>>> use a standard like DIG?
>>>
>> Good question. I had started to work woth racer... that's the fact..
>
> Ok.

>>> Protégé GUI, i guess.
>>>
>>> Hmmm, this doesn't seem to make sense. Protege uses several
>>> reasoners
>>> via DIG. I figured it has to store this information somewhere in
>>> order
>>> to be able to query and obtain the inferred super, subclasses and
>>> instances.
>>>
>> Yes. Of course Protégé store the information somewhere at list in
>> memory as inferred model.
>> What I was saying is that you have to access the Protégé code or
>> develop I plugin 'cause there's no funcionality that allows you to
>> access the inferred model directly from the GUI.
>> As far as I know.
>>> Can anyone confirm this?
>>>

> Sorry. I misunderstood you.
>
> Would be nice if we could sort of merge the file and its inferred
> relationships in Protege and query that via the various query
> plugins transparently.
>
> Regards,
> Hugo F.
>

>>> TIA,
>>> Hugo Ferreira.

>>> reasoner and
>>> are these

>>> the
>>> ancestor in
>>> that

>>> subscribe.html

>>> subscribe.html

Re: Subject: interaction between Protege and reasoners

Hugo Ferreira
Hi Nick,

Let me answer this seeing as I was the one that originally asked the
question.

Nick Drummond wrote:
> I don't understand what you mean "there's no funcionality that allows
> you to access the inferred model directly from the GUI".

The idea was to query the inferred model via SPARQL. I was wondering if
withing the GUI I could access this info as RDF and query that via the
SPARQL queries.

> The inferred tree and the inferred checkbox on the classes tab and  some
> of the individuals tab allows this.
>
> Plus, you can save the inferred version and do what you want with it.

Interesting. I can therefore generate the inferred data and save all the
data (direct and inferred) to a RDF file? Where can I access this? I see
only the save and export menu options.

TIA,
Hugo Ferreira.

On 5/9/06, Nick Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't understand what you mean "there's no funcionality that allows
> you to access the inferred model directly from the GUI".
>
> The inferred tree and the inferred checkbox on the classes tab and
> some of the individuals tab allows this.
>

> Plus, you can save the inferred version and do what you want with it.

How can u save the whole inferred model from protégé?
I didn't know that was possible (that was what I meant).

> Nick
>
> On 5 May 2006, at 14:49, Hugo Ferreira wrote:
>
> > Hi Carlo,
> >
> > Carlo Torniai wrote:

> >> Good question. I had started to work woth racer... that's the fact..
> >
> > Ok.

> >> Yes. Of course Protégé store the information somewhere at list in
> >> memory as inferred model.
> >> What I was saying is that you have to access the Protégé code or
> >> develop I plugin 'cause there's no funcionality that allows you to
> >> access the inferred model directly from the GUI.
> >> As far as I know.
> >>>

> > Sorry. I misunderstood you.
> >
> > Would be nice if we could sort of merge the file and its inferred
> > relationships in Protege and query that via the various query
> > plugins transparently.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Hugo F.

Re: Subject: interaction between Protege and reasoners

Hugo Ferreira

 >> Plus, you can save the inferred version and do what you want with it.
 >>
 >
 > Interesting. I can therefore generate the inferred data and save all
 > the data (direct and inferred) to a RDF file? Where can I access this?
 > I see only the save and export menu options.

Ok, I have found some e-mails in the archive with this info.

Thanks,
Hugo F.

Hugo Ferreira wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Let me answer this seeing as I was the one that originally asked the
> question.
>

> Nick Drummond wrote:
>
>> I don't understand what you mean "there's no funcionality that allows
>> you to access the inferred model directly from the GUI".
>>

> The idea was to query the inferred model via SPARQL. I was wondering if
> withing the GUI I could access this info as RDF and query that via the
> SPARQL queries.
>
>> The inferred tree and the inferred checkbox on the classes tab and
>> some of the individuals tab allows this.
>>
>> Plus, you can save the inferred version and do what you want with it.
>>

> Interesting. I can therefore generate the inferred data and save all the
> data (direct and inferred) to a RDF file? Where can I access this? I see
> only the save and export menu options.
>
> TIA,
> Hugo Ferreira.
>

>> Nick
>>
>> On 5 May 2006, at 14:49, Hugo Ferreira wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carlo,

>>> Ok.

>>> Sorry. I misunderstood you.
>>>
>>> Would be nice if we could sort of merge the file and its inferred
>>> relationships in Protege and query that via the various query
>>> plugins transparently.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Hugo F.

Re: Subject: interaction between Protege and reasoners

Nick Drummond
This might be the best way round the problem.

I think you can probably just assert the changes and run SPARQL
queries on this without saving

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Nick

On 9 May 2006, at 16:48, Hugo Ferreira wrote:

> Hi,
>

> >> Plus, you can save the inferred version and do what you want
> with it.
> >>

> > Interesting. I can therefore generate the inferred data and save all
> > the data (direct and inferred) to a RDF file? Where can I access
> this?
> > I see only the save and export menu options.
> >

> Ok, I have found some e-mails in the archive with this info.
>
> Thanks,
> Hugo F.
>

> Hugo Ferreira wrote:
>> Hi Nick,
>> Let me answer this seeing as I was the one that originally asked
>> the question.
>> Nick Drummond wrote:
>>> I don't understand what you mean "there's no funcionality that
>>> allows  you to access the inferred model directly from the GUI".
>>>
>> The idea was to query the inferred model via SPARQL. I was
>> wondering if withing the GUI I could access this info as RDF and
>> query that via the SPARQL queries.
>>> The inferred tree and the inferred checkbox on the classes tab
>>> and  some of the individuals tab allows this.
>>>
>>> Plus, you can save the inferred version and do what you want with
>>> it.
>>>
>> Interesting. I can therefore generate the inferred data and save
>> all the data (direct and inferred) to a RDF file? Where can I
>> access this? I see only the save and export menu options.
>> TIA,
>> Hugo Ferreira.
>>> Nick

Setting the language for a String OWL Datatype

Carlos S. Zamudio-2
Hi,
I'm using the most recent Protégé-OWL API to create on OWL ontology and I'm
trying to set the language for a string datatype so that it appear in
Protégé when editing.  Here's a snippet of what I'm trying to do:
----
// create a model and add a datatype property called "synonym"
JenaOWL Model myModel = ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModel();
OWLDatatypeProperty synonymProperty =
myModel.createOWLDatatypeProperty("synonym");

// set the range to a string
synonymProperty.setRange(meshModel.getXSDstring());

// create an individual and add a syonym property with a value
OWLIndividual indiviudal;
individual.addPropertyValue(synonymProperty, "example synonym string");

---
How do I tell the system that the XSDstring is for the language "EN"
(English) so that it also appears when I review in Protégé?

Thanks.
Carlos

Nick Drummond wrote:
 > This might be the best way round the problem.
 >
 > I think you can probably just assert the changes and run SPARQL  queries
 > on this without saving
 >
 > Let me know if I'm wrong.

At the moment I cannot answer this question because the inferred data I
use is that of instances. Selecting instances in the SPARQL plug-in
however seems to be broken. I have sent the report to this e-mail but
do not know if you have seen that.

Even if the SPARQL plug-in did work correctly it seems that Protege
does not provide a means to assert inferred instances so I cannot
execute queries that depend on this (don't know if doing this makes
sense). I seems strange that I do not get the expected result (via
Jena's scripts) especially if you consider that I am interested in the
transitive sub-class relationship.

To exemplify assume I state that a certain instance "x" is a subclass of
A which in its turn is a subclass of B. If the query requests all
instances of type B, the I expect to find "x". However I don't get this
via Jena's SPARQL.

If I request all instances of type B via the reasoner I get the expected
information. I figured that because the sub-class relationship is
transitive I need only assert all inferred classes and query the saved
file. Again I used the reasoner and Protege to generate the owl file,
but the query still returns an empty result.

Now I am at a loss as to whether I need to assert inferred instance or
if I need only assert the inferred classes and that should do. Either
way I cannot seem to get the results I need.

Can anyone give me any hints as how to proceed?

TIA,
Hugo F.