Synonyms for the same concept

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Synonyms for the same concept

Fatma ELLOUZE
Hello All,
I want to add synonyms for a class which can be visible from a java program (I mean I want to retrieve them after). Is there other method in addition to "EquivalentTo"? because, I don't want to create as classes as synomymes.
Thank in advance for your reply
Best regards
Fatma.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

samsontu

On Aug 11, 2016, at 3:03 AM, Fatma ELLOUZE <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,
I want to add synonyms for a class which can be visible from a java program
(I mean I want to retrieve them after). Is there other method in addition to
"EquivalentTo"? because, I don't want to create as classes as synomymes.
Thank in advance for your reply
Best regards
Fatma.



You can add synonyms for a class as annotations, using an annotation property such as “skos:altLabel” [1].

With best regards,
Samson

-- 
Samson Tu                                                      email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Engineer                              web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Center for Biomedical Informatics Research  phone: 1-650-725-3391
Stanford University                                          fax: 1-650-725-7944




_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

Fatma ELLOUZE
Hello Again,
Thanks Mr Samson. I want to check if these synonyms (i.e., when using skos:altLabel ) are visible in the inference. Because, that's what I need.
In fact: I imported the SKOS ontology and I add for each class its alternative label as an annotation. However when I ask for a class using its "altLabel" I haven't answer. The worst is that, it create another class having the name of my label!
Thank you in advance for your answers.
Best regards
Fatma.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

Lorenz Buehmann
HOW do you "ask for a class using it's altLabel"?


On 30.08.2016 10:25, Fatma ELLOUZE wrote:

> Hello Again,
> Thanks Mr Samson. I want to check if these synonyms (i.e., when using
> skos:altLabel ) are visible in the inference. Because, that's what I need.
> In fact: I imported the SKOS ontology and I add for each class its
> alternative label as an annotation. However when I ask for a class using its
> "altLabel" I haven't answer. The worst is that, it create another class
> having the name of my label!
> Thank you in advance for your answers.
> Best regards
> Fatma.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Synonyms-for-the-same-concept-tp4666166p4666285.html
> Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> protege-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user

_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

Fatma ELLOUZE
From the OWL API, by this instruction:

OWLClass clsD = factory.getOWLClass("Dep", pm);  // where "Dep" is an altLabel for the class "Depth".

Thank you for your answer.
Best regards
Fatma.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

Lorenz Buehmann

Ehm, that's for sure wrong. This is not a method to query an ontology, I
don't know why you think so. This method is just a shortcut for writing
the namespace of the class IRI each time. That means, the default prefix
+ "dep" is used to generate the IRI and then the OWL class object is
created with the IRI "http://${YOUR_DEFAULT_PREFIX}dep".

On 30.08.2016 10:54, Fatma ELLOUZE wrote:

> From the OWL API, by this instruction:
>
> OWLClass clsD = factory.getOWLClass("Dep", pm);  // where "Dep" is an
> altLabel for the class "Depth".
>
> Thank you for your answer.
> Best regards
> Fatma.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Synonyms-for-the-same-concept-tp4666166p4666287.html
> Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> protege-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user

_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

Fatma ELLOUZE
Hello Mr. Lorenz,
Thank you for your reply and I am sorry as I am a beginner.
But even I use the instruction below I have the same result, I mean a new class is created.

 OWLClass cls = manager.getOWLDataFactory().getOWLClass(ontologyIRIClass); // where ontologyIRIClass = http://www.semanticweb.org/dell/ontologies/2016/6/myOnto#Dep

Please, how can I consider the name of the class and its alternative label as the same thing.
Thanks for your collaboration
Best regards
Fatma.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

Lorenz Buehmann
classes, properties and individuals are identified by IRIs in OWL. There
is no concept of class belongs to label, but a class can have a set of
labels that provide human readable names.

I still don't know what you want, but you can check for classes that
have a given label via OWL API. It that case, you could iterate over the
classes, or use EntitySearcher form OWL API 4.


On 30.08.2016 14:58, Fatma ELLOUZE wrote:

> Hello Mr. Lorenz,
> Thank you for your reply and I am sorry as I am a beginner.
> But even I use the instruction below I have the same result, I mean a new
> class is created.
>
>  OWLClass cls = manager.getOWLDataFactory().getOWLClass(ontologyIRIClass);
> // where ontologyIRIClass =
> http://www.semanticweb.org/dell/ontologies/2016/6/myOnto#Dep
>
> Please, how can I consider the name of the class and its alternative label
> as the same thing.
> Thanks for your collaboration
> Best regards
> Fatma.
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Synonyms-for-the-same-concept-tp4666166p4666290.html
> Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> protege-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user

_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

Fatma ELLOUZE
Ok. I understand. Thank you.
So, more precisely I have a SWRL rule that contain in its condition a class named "Depth". This rule will be activated when a user create an individual for "Depth". My request is that the user may be create an individual for the class "Depth" but he specify that the name of class is "Dep". In this case, I want a mecanism that consider the "Depth" and the "Dep" as the same thing i.e., class.
That's it.
Thank you again
Best regards,
Fatma.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Synonyms for the same concept

samsontu

On Aug 30, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Fatma ELLOUZE <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok. I understand. Thank you.
So, more precisely I have a SWRL rule that contain in its condition a class
named "Depth". This rule will be activated when a user create an individual
for "Depth". My request is that the user may be create an individual for the
class "Depth" but he specify that the name of class is "Dep". In this case,
I want a mecanism that consider the "Depth" and the "Dep" as the same thing
i.e., class.

The names your user uses to construct SWRL rules can be specified in the user interface. The rule editor can translate such names into IRIs that your program manipulates. For example, I configured rdfs:label to be the rendering of my OWL entities, so that I can write a rule using the rdfs:label:


My application program only deals with IRIs. The translation between user-oriented view to the canonical IRI representation is handled by the rule editor. For example, ‘Eligible for HTN guideline’ has the underlying IRI of http://protege.stanford.edu/eon/EligibleForHTNGuideline.

With best regards,
Samson


-- 
Samson Tu                                                      email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Engineer                              web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Center for Biomedical Informatics Research  phone: 1-650-725-3391
Stanford University                                          fax: 1-650-725-7944




_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user