Temporal reasoning with an ontology

natalia iglesias
Temporal reasoning with an ontology

Hello everybody,

I am modelling clinical guidelines with different knowledge formalisms, one of these formalisms is an ontology in OWL2. In the medical domain, the use of temporal reasoning in essential as in many cases we need to determine for example if "after two days of a certain medication" the patient develops a fever. So both relative and absolute temporal reasoning are a must. However I have read some time ago in different scientific articles that temporal reasoning is not possible with OWL. My question is if this is still the case with OWL2, if there are any developments in this direction, and if the use of rule extensions such as SWRL or SPIN helps to addres this issue.

Thanks in advance

Natalia Iglesias