Transitive Object Property and Nested Expression

Transitive Object Property and Nested Expression

Park, Min Jun

Hi all,

As for attached owl file, I cannot understand how the class 'Poor' is located within the class 'Word' after inference.

I think the transtive object property used in a nested expression would result in this,

but I cannot figure out some exact progress that might cause this result.

Please give me some clear answer :)

Thanks.

Min Jun Park
(+86)13146470480

Test1016.owl (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Transitive Object Property and Nested Expression

it happens because:

Poor SubClassOf Cause some Unsanitary
    Unsanitary SubClassOf hasSmell some Sour
        hasSmell SubPropertyOf hasTaste
    Transitive: Cause
Word EquivalentTo Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act))
Word EquivalentTo hasTaste some Sour

Regards,
Lorenz

On 16/10/12 15:49, Park, Min Jun wrote:

Hi all,

As for attached owl file, I cannot understand how the class 'Poor' is located within the class 'Word' after inference.

I think the transtive object property used in a nested expression would result in this,

but I cannot figure out some exact progress that might cause this result.

Please give me some clear answer :)

Thanks.

Min Jun Park
(+86)13146470480

M.Sc. Inf. Lorenz Bühmann
Institute of Computer Science, University of Leipzig
Research Group: Agile Knowledge Engineering and Semantic Web (AKSW)
Workpage: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/LorenzBuehmann

Re: Transitive Object Property and Nested Expression

Park, Min Jun

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, but I wonder which line of the equivalent condition of the class ‘Word' took 'Poor' in its subclass.

First I thought the condition 'hasTaste some Sour' solely took 'Poor' into the class 'Word'.

However, it doesn't work the same after I remove another condition of 'Word', which is 'EquivalentTo Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act))'

and now I think 'Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act))' might works the same as 'Cause some Thing', but I don't really understand how these two different lines has the same effect.

Thank you.

朴敏浚
Dept. of Chinese Language, Tsinghua Univ.
Master Candidate

(+86)13146470480

Test1016.owl (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Transitive Object Property and Nested Expression

I'm just going to split the equivalent classes axiom up to aid the explanation, so

> Word EquivalentTo Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act))

is split into

Word SubClassOf Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act))

and

Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act)) SubClassOf Word

Right, the following three axioms

1) Unsanitary SubClassOf hasSmell some Sour
2) hasSmell SubPropertyOf hasTaste
3) hasTaste some Sour SubClassOf Word

entail

Unsanitary SubClassOf Word

together with

4) Poor SubClassOf Cause some Unsanitary

entails

Poor SubClassOf Cause some Word

take this with

5) Word SubClassOf Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act))     (which comes from the EquivalentClasses axiom)

and it entails

Poor SubClassOf Cause some (Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act)))

6) Since Cause is Transitive  (Transitive: Cause)

This means

Poor SubClassOf (Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act)))

and taken with the other "half" of the Equivalent Classes axiom i.e.

Cause some (Static and (Cause some Act)) SubClassOf Word

entails

Poor SubClassOf Word.

i.e. the conclusion we want.

Hope this helps,