Tutorial for developing BFO-compliant ontologies in Protege

Tutorial for developing BFO-compliant ontologies in Protege

fbhare
Greetings,

I have been following some available tutorials to do the University ontology
within Protege.  Those are pretty straight-forward and helpful.

However, I am creating a BFO-compliant ontology that endogenizes time and
actions within the taxonomical structure.  Therefore, action words like
"study" are not object properties, they are classs terms.  I realize that it
is possible to follow the logic to figure out how to do this, but I need to
train up several people in short order.

Does anyone happen to have a tutorial for how to correctly create Protege
entities, object properties, and data properties to account for BFO concepts
such as functions, processes, qualities, and 3Dspace?

Thank you,
Forrest

Re: Tutorial for developing BFO-compliant ontologies in Protege

samsontu

On May 6, 2019, at 5:39 AM, fbhare <[hidden email]> wrote:

Greetings,

I have been following some available tutorials to do the University ontology
within Protege.  Those are pretty straight-forward and helpful.

However, I am creating a BFO-compliant ontology that endogenizes time and
actions within the taxonomical structure.  Therefore, action words like
"study" are not object properties, they are classs terms.  I realize that it
is possible to follow the logic to figure out how to do this, but I need to
train up several people in short order.

Does anyone happen to have a tutorial for how to correctly create Protege
entities, object properties, and data properties to account for BFO concepts
such as functions, processes, qualities, and 3Dspace?

The book “Building Ontologies with Basic Formal Ontology,” by Arp, Smith, and Spear (The MIT Press) may be what you are looking for.

With best regards,
Samson

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment