UML/OCL -> OWL/SWRL

Jan Scheffczyk
Hi all,

does anyone know of attempts to translate UML class diagrams plus OCL
constraints to OWL+SWRL?
The class diagrams seem to translate in straightforward manner; the OCL
part seem, however, harder to translate and to require SWRL at least.

I am about to start such a project by myself and so far google did not
point me to anything useful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Jan

Re: UML/OCL -> OWL/SWRL

Jyotishman Pathak
There were some interesting discussions/pointers in the following thread:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sws-ig/2005Dec/0018.html

I haven't got time lately to think more, but would like to follow up
if you (or others) are interested.

HTH,
- Jyoti

On 5/10/06, Jan Scheffczyk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know of attempts to translate UML class diagrams plus OCL
> constraints to OWL+SWRL?
> The class diagrams seem to translate in straightforward manner; the OCL
> part seem, however, harder to translate and to require SWRL at least.
>
> I am about to start such a project by myself and so far google did not
> point me to anything useful.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks,
> Jan

Jyotishman Pathak
WWW: http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~jpathak

Re: UML/OCL -> OWL/SWRL

sschlmr
We have begun a project which converts UML2.0 + OCL into OWL+SWRL.   I agree
with you regarding the class definitions (with a small exception of
primitive scalars -- there needs to be some kind of wrapping of primitive
data types to permit restrictions to be applied).  Much of the OCL we have
been able to translate into OWL (specifically, constraints which control
cardinality of associated objects restricted by type -- for us, a very
common occurrence)..  We are still exploring appropriate translations for
more complex expressions.

-steve

On 5/10/06 4:02 PM, "Jan Scheffczyk" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know of attempts to translate UML class diagrams plus OCL
> constraints to OWL+SWRL?
> The class diagrams seem to translate in straightforward manner; the OCL
> part seem, however, harder to translate and to require SWRL at least.
>
> I am about to start such a project by myself and so far google did not
> point me to anything useful.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks,
> Jan

Re: UML/OCL -> OWL/SWRL

Ulrike Sattler
you might want to have a  look at the paper

Pablo Fillottrani, Enrico Franconi and Sergio Tessaris. The new ICOM
Ontology Editor

announced at

  http://www.mindswap.org/2006/dl/accepted.html

and to appear soon, cheers, Uli