UML metamodel to Ontology

Rodolfo Rieckhof
Hello everyone,
i am trying to transform the UML metamodel to an Ontology and i have problems with how to define the concept of subclass.
Whenever i try to create an ObjectProperty: isSubClass with Domain: UMLClass and Range: UMLClass and with the characteristics Transitive and Asymetric, i get NonSimpleRolenNumber Exeption in this property from Fact++. What does this exeception means and how could i do this? is there a better way?

Thanks in advanced
Rodo

Re: UML metamodel to Ontology

Rodolfo Rieckhof
I realize i was not specific enough in my latest Post so: I am using Protege 4, and  the exact exception looks like this.

ReasonerException: uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.owlapi.FaCTPlusPlusReasonerException: uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.owlapi.FaCTPlusPlusReasonerException: uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.NonSimpleRoleInNumberRestrictionException: http://myBeleg.org/ontologies/test/classes.owl#super
    org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.OWLReasonerManagerImpl$1.run(OWLReasonerManagerImpl.java:259)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Thanks in Advanced
Rodo

2010/1/15 Rodolfo Rieckhof <[hidden email]>
Hello everyone,
i am trying to transform the UML metamodel to an Ontology and i have problems with how to define the concept of subclass.
Whenever i try to create an ObjectProperty: isSubClass with Domain: UMLClass and Range: UMLClass and with the characteristics Transitive and Asymetric, i get NonSimpleRolenNumber Exeption in this property from Fact++. What does this exeception means and how could i do this? is there a better way?

Thanks in advanced
Rodo

Pellet

Leyla Jael García Castro
Hello there,

I was checking something with reasoners and I realized there is no Pellet in Protégé 4.0 Build 114. Can it be installed as a plugin or it will be included in a future release?

Best,

LG

Re: Pellet

Thomas Schneider-5
Hi Leyla,

I think I heard that there was a licensing problem, and therefore
Pellet was/is not included in the Protégé-4 release. You can download
the plugin separately from the Pellet site

      http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/protege

and copy it to the plugins folder of your Protégé installation.

Cheers

Thomas

On 15 Jan 2010, at 16:42, Leyla Jael García Castro wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I was checking something with reasoners and I realized there is no
> Pellet in Protégé 4.0 Build 114. Can it be installed as a plugin or
> it will be included in a future release?
>
> Best,
>
> LG
>
> Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.
|  Dr Thomas Schneider                    schneider (at) cs.man.ac.uk  |
|  School of Computer Science       http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~schneidt  |
|  Kilburn Building, Room 2.114                 phone +44 161 2756136  |
|  University of Manchester                                            |
|  Oxford Road                                             _///_       |
|  Manchester M13 9PL                                      (o~o)       |

Jubones (pl.n.)
   Awful things bought in Nairobi which never look good at home.

PGP.sig (210 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Pellet

Leyla Jael García Castro
Hi Thomas,

Thank so much for the information.

Best,

Leyla

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:20:25 +0000
> Subject: Re: [protege-owl] Pellet
>
> Hi Leyla,
>
> I think I heard that there was a licensing problem, and therefore
> Pellet was/is not included in the Protégé-4 release. You can download
> the plugin separately from the Pellet site
>
> http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/protege
>
> and copy it to the plugins folder of your Protégé installation.
>
> Cheers
>
> Thomas
>
> On 15 Jan 2010, at 16:42, Leyla Jael García Castro wrote:
>
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I was checking something with reasoners and I realized there is no
> > Pellet in Protégé 4.0 Build 114. Can it be installed as a plugin or
> > it will be included in a future release?
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > LG
> >
> > Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.

> | Dr Thomas Schneider schneider (at) cs.man.ac.uk |
> | School of Computer Science http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~schneidt |
> | Kilburn Building, Room 2.114 phone +44 161 2756136 |
> | University of Manchester |
> | Oxford Road _///_ |
> | Manchester M13 9PL (o~o) |
> +-----------------------------------------------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo--+
>
> Jubones (pl.n.)
> Awful things bought in Nairobi which never look good at home.
>
> Douglas Adams, John Lloyd: The Deeper Meaning of Liff

Re: UML metamodel to Ontology

Thomas Russ

On Jan 15, 2010, at 3:10 AM, Rodolfo Rieckhof wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> i am trying to transform the UML metamodel to an Ontology and i
> have problems with how to define the concept of subclass.

My first question would be why you want to define subclass, when OWL
already has a predefined rdf:subclass relation that all of the
reasoners know how to handle, and can handle very efficiently.

Re: NonSimpleRoleInNumberRestrictionException (was UML metamodel to Ontology)

Timothy Redmond
Rodolfo Rieckhof wrote:
> I realize i was not specific enough in my latest Post so: I am using
> Protege 4, and  the exact exception looks like this.
>
> ReasonerException:
> uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.owlapi.FaCTPlusPlusReasonerException:
> uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.owlapi.FaCTPlusPlusReasonerException:
> uk.ac.manchester.cs.factplusplus.NonSimpleRoleInNumberRestrictionException:

This probably means exactly what it sounds like but to understand it you
need to be familiar with one of the more technical sections of the OWL 2
specification [1].  You have told us that you are creating a transitive
object property.  This object property is not a simple role (by the
definitions in [1]).   The specification then goes on to say that

> *Restriction on Simple Roles.* Each class expression and each axiom in
> /Ax/ of type from the following two lists contains only simple object
> properties.
>
>     * ObjectMinCardinality, ObjectMaxCardinality,
>       ObjectExactCardinality, and ObjectHasSelf .
>     * FunctionalObjectProperty, InverseFunctionalObjectProperty,
>       IrreflexiveObjectProperty, AsymmetricObjectProperty, and
>       DisjointObjectProperties.

In particular the asymmetric object property axiom is a problem.
FaCT++ is telling you that it cannot reason with this ontology because
it does not meet the specification.  Hopefully sometime soon Protege 4
will have some support for alerting you to this situation.

-Timothy

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Global_Restrictions_on_Axioms_in_OWL_2_DL

> http://myBeleg.org/ontologies/test/classes.owl#super
>
> org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.OWLReasonerManagerImpl$1.run(OWLReasonerManagerImpl.java:259)
>     java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>

> Thanks in Advanced
> Rodo
>
> 2010/1/15 Rodolfo Rieckhof <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hello everyone,
>     i am trying to transform the UML metamodel to an Ontology and i
>     have problems with how to define the concept of subclass.
>     Whenever i try to create an ObjectProperty: isSubClass with
>     Domain: UMLClass and Range: UMLClass and with the characteristics
>     Transitive and Asymetric, i get NonSimpleRolenNumber Exeption in
>     this property from Fact++. What does this exeception means and how
>     could i do this? is there a better way?
>
>     Thanks in advanced
>     Rodo

Re: UML metamodel to Ontology

Leyla Jael García Castro

> On Jan 15, 2010, at 3:10 AM, Rodolfo Rieckhof wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> > i am trying to transform the UML metamodel to an Ontology and i
> > have problems with how to define the concept of subclass.

Hi Rodolfo,

Maybe you can take a look to this plugin: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/OWL2UML It does exactly the opposite as you want but maybe the way they do it can give you some ideas.

Best,

LG

Re: UML metamodel to Ontology

Jean-Marc Vanel
2010/1/15 Rodolfo Rieckhof <[hidden email]>
Hello everyone,
i am trying to transform the UML metamodel to an Ontology

I did this, using my general XMI to RDF converter, piped with an eCore to OWL converter through rules .

The result is here:
http://deductions.sourceforge.net/models/UML2-OWL_model.n3

The explanations are here:
http://eulergui.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eulergui/trunk/eulergui/html/documentation.html#Reading

Hope it helps.

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,

Re: UML metamodel to Ontology

Jan.Gacnik
Hi,

some background information which might be
interesting for you: There is an OMG specification
for the "Ontology Definition Metamodel (ODM)":
http://www.omg.org/spec/ODM/1.0/PDF/

Among other things, it describes
"Mapping UML to OWL" (Chapter 16).

Best regards,

Jan

The link looks promising thank yuo very much