UMLStab question

Sira-2

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to use UMLS tab and have read through the
documentation page of this plugin, however, i have really simple setup
questions that i probably have missed the explanation somewhere on the
page. Please somebody help me:

1) I load UMLS tab to an empty project, can I perform a search on UMLS
tab without any classes defined in that project? E.g. I tried searching
for the term 'breast cancer' like seen on the tutorial section of this
plugin website but i don't see any search result returned? Is this due
to the issue of empty project?

2) My understanding is that protege connects to UMLS server as soon as
i run protege with this tab and I have to be a registered user on UMLS
server. Where do I specify username and password in order to get
connected to UMLS from protege 3.1?

3) Where can I find the setup tutorials of how to work with UMLStab?

thank you very much,
sira

Re: UMLStab question

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator

Sira,

sira wrote:

>I am trying to figure out how to use UMLS tab and have read through the documentation page of this plugin, however, i have really simple setup questions that i probably have missed the explanation somewhere on the page. Please somebody help me:
>
>1) I load UMLS tab to an empty project, can I perform a search on UMLS tab without any classes defined in that project? E.g. I tried searching for the term 'breast cancer' like seen on the tutorial section of this plugin website but i don't see any search result returned? Is this due to the issue of empty project?

I tested the UMLS Tab this morning and there is no issues with empty
projects.  I searched for the term "breast cancer" and the tab returned
the search results as expected.  Are you seeing any error messsage in
the console window when you perform your search?

>2) My understanding is that protege connects to UMLS server as soon as i run protege with this tab and I have to be a registered user on UMLS server. Where do I specify username and password in order to get connected to UMLS from protege 3.1?

You don't need to specify a username and password.  The tab connects to
the UMLSKS servers via RMI and assuming you are a registred user, their
licensing software checks your IP address and grants access from their side.

>3) Where can I find the setup tutorials of how to work with UMLStab?

You can access the documentation from the main UMLS page:

http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/umlstab/

The main UMLS page is linked from our Wiki:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProtegePluginsLibraryByType#nid3V4

Jennifer

Re: UMLStab question

Sira-2
Dear Jennifer,

I'm suspecting that the problem i'm facing may be due to connection &
firewall issue. I'm attaching the screen capture of what i see on my
protege window here. Basically i don't see any error message or
anything but a red box at what is supposed to be UMLS Tab. At some
other times, i can see UMLS tab load properly but when i perform a
string search of "breast cancer" and click the button "search", there
is nothing happening on my protege UMLS tab but the history recording
of search 1,2,3,... according to how many times I hit the search button
( I cannot provide the image of screen capture for this case at this
time since I can't even load UMLS now). By the way, where is the
console for error on macintosh? (I'm using protege 3.1 on mac os x)

I can see the error message as shown in my screen capture attachment
when i try umls on windows machine.

is there a way to come around the problem for this case? (or is it that
i have to add my ip address to my profile over at umlsks site?) Thank
you very much for your help.
Sira

-- Type: image/tiff
-- Size: 81k (83416 bytes)

-- Err : No filename to use for decode, file stripped.
-- Type: text/plain

-- Type: image/jpg
-- Size: 211k (216677 bytes)