URI generator used across different projects

URI generator used across different projects

Melanie Courtot-2
Hi,

I have set up the ID generator to create new URIs incrementally in my namespace, for my main project, for example http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/AERO_0000353, http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/AERO_0000354 etc.
However, if I work on another project and create an entity there, it gets assigned a URI of the type http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/AERO_xxxxxxx as well, which is not desired. Is there a way to work around this?

I could imagine having one configuration per ontology file and toggle it as I edit for example - though I am not sure of feasible that is. Ideally we would be able to share an ID file between developers of a resource and P4 would read the format and available IDs there. Though we used something similar in the past in P3, and it was making the setup slightly more complicated and less comfortable for editors.

Do you have any suggestion? Or is there an existing way that I don't know of?

Thanks,
Melanie

---
Mélanie Courtot
MSFHR/PCIRN Ph.D. Candidate,
BCCRC - Terry Fox Laboratory - 12th floor
675 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V5Z 1L3, Canada

Re: URI generator used across different projects

Chris Mungall-2

On Nov 21, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Melanie Courtot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have set up the ID generator to create new URIs incrementally in my namespace, for my main project, for example http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/AERO_0000353, http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/AERO_0000354 etc.
> However, if I work on another project and create an entity there, it gets assigned a URI of the type http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/AERO_xxxxxxx as well, which is not desired. Is there a way to work around this?

In addition, there is no checks for clashes.

You might be interested in Simon Jupp's URIgen.

        http://code.google.com/p/urigen/

> I could imagine having one configuration per ontology file and toggle it as I edit for example - though I am not sure of feasible that is. Ideally we would be able to share an ID file between developers of a resource and P4 would read the format and available IDs there. Though we used something similar in the past in P3, and it was making the setup slightly more complicated and less comfortable for editors.

What would be very useful would be URI generation that mimics the oboedit ID profile manager. Here, each editor can manage a number of different profiles for different ontologies. Within each ontology, the editor is assigned an ID range. The ID generator ensures no IDs are reused. This allows safe asynchronous editing into a common VCS.

We have come up with a prototype OWL model for ID ranges - we use this in a number of ontologies. For example, in the sponge ontology:

        http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/poro/poro-idranges.owl

Currently a human reads this file and manually sets their ranges in Protege whenever they start working on that ontology - not ideal.

> Do you have any suggestion? Or is there an existing way that I don't know of?
>
> Thanks,
> Melanie
>

> ---
> Mélanie Courtot
> MSFHR/PCIRN Ph.D. Candidate,
> BCCRC - Terry Fox Laboratory - 12th floor
> 675 West 10th Avenue
> Vancouver, BC
> V5Z 1L3, Canada

Re: URI generator used across different projects

Shahim Essaid

You might be interested in Simon Jupp's URIgen.

        http://code.google.com/p/urigen/

I didn't know about this until Carlo mentioned it to me yesterday.  I installed it on Glassfish and I am using it with the latest protege build with no problems so far. It also has a Java API (in the Protege plugin) and a REST interface. A very nice tool and hopefully the source code will be available to further customize if needed.

Cheers,
Shahim