Unable to install Protégé Desktop 4.3 on OSX

Unable to install Protégé Desktop 4.3 on OSX

Nicolas Torzec
Hi there,
I deleted my old version of Protégé Desktop, upgraded my MacBookPro to OSX 10.9.2 with Java 1.7.0, and tried to install Protégé Desktop 4.3 and 4.2 using the Auto Installer and Zip bundle, but they both crashed.

A) First, when double clicking the installer or archive I get an error message telling me that it is damaged and could not be opened.

See screenshot.

B) Then, even if I unzip the archive manually and double click or run “run.sh”, I get a 2nd error message telling me that there is an issue with Fact++, and it crashes.
=> org.semanticweb.owlapi.model.OWLRuntimeException: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no FaCTPlusPlusJNI in java.library.path

See other screenshot.

I don’t remember having to set up anything about Fact++ in the previous versions of Protégé?
What did I miss?

Cheers,
Nicolas

Nicolas Torzec
Yahoo Labs.

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 9.32.09 AM.png (434K) Download Attachment
Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 10.14.13 AM.png (117K) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to install Protégé Desktop 4.3 on OSX

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hello Nicolas,

On 3/11/2014 10:22 AM, Nicolas Torzec wrote:
I deleted my old version of Protégé Desktop, upgraded my MacBookPro to OSX 10.9.2 with Java 1.7.0, and tried to install Protégé Desktop 4.3 and 4.2 using the Auto Installer and Zip bundle, but they both crashed.

A) First, when double clicking the installer or archive I get an error message telling me that it is damaged and could not be opened.

This issue was recently addressed on the list.  Please see this entry in the archive for installation instructions:

http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/trouble-downloading-Protege-to-Mac-td4659934.html

B) Then, even if I unzip the archive manually and double click or run “run.sh”, I get a 2nd error message telling me that there is an issue with Fact++, and it crashes.
=> org.semanticweb.owlapi.model.OWLRuntimeException: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no FaCTPlusPlusJNI in java.library.path

See other screenshot.

I don’t remember having to set up anything about Fact++ in the previous versions of Protégé?
What did I miss?

I reproduced this here.  FaCT++ is written in C++ and talks to Protege through JNI.  It seems the version of FaCT distributed with Protege 4.3 doesn't work with Mavericks.  To get rid of this error and start using Protege, delete the FaCT JAR file from the plugins directory.  The HermiT reasoner works, which is bundled with the default installation.  You can also select File | Check for plugins... to download the Pellet reasoner.

FaCT was written by a group outside of Stanford.  If you need this particular reasoner, please contact them directly to see if they'll provide an updated version that works on Mavericks:

http://owl.man.ac.uk/factplusplus/

Best,
Jennifer

Re: Unable to install Protégé Desktop 4.3 on OSX

Nicolas Torzec
Thanks for the help. It worked.

I ended up:
  1. deactivating the provenance check for A (i.e. the message was misleading: the archive is not damaged),
  2. and then, instead of removing the jar and using another reasoner, I simply updated Xcode and its dependencies (incl. command line ones).

Nicolas.