Updated Getting Started Tutorial

Jennifer Vendetti-2

This is a note to let everyone know that we have posted an updated
version of the "Getting Started with Protege-Frames" tutorial on our Web
site.  The text and screenshots in the tutorial have been updated to
match the changes in the Protege User Interface (3.x versions).  The
tutorial is available in the following formats:

1). Single-page HTML:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/get_started/get-started.html

2). Multiple-page HTML:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/get_started/table_of_content.html

3). Multiple-page HTML with DHTML menu:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/get_started/admain.html

4). PDF:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/get_started/get-started.pdf

We are still working on updating the Protege-Frames User's Guide.

Jennifer

Re: Updated Getting Started Tutorial

rakesh shejwalkar
hi

I have little doubts in the subtle differnces between "Forms" and Protege owl editor..Protege owl editor is the newer one, and it does not look like "Forms", it has separte tab for "Properties" and it does not contain "slots"..well I think both can be used in modelling ontologies; but owl editor does not contain the graphical method of creating ontologies, I guess with owlViz we can just view the  modelled ontology..

Could u kindly suggest me what is the best alternative for modelling ontology in some particular domain , and I even want to extend it so that it can extract information from unstructured texts..is OntolLt plugin goog enough for that??

Thanks

regards,

Rakesh Shejwalkar
IIT Kharagpur

 Stay connected with your friends even when away from PC.  Link: http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/messenger/

Re: Updated Getting Started Tutorial

Jennifer Vendetti-2

Rakesh,

rakesh shejwalkar wrote:

> I have little doubts in the subtle differnces between "Forms" and
> Protege owl editor..Protege owl editor is the newer one, and it does
> not look like "Forms", it has separte tab for "Properties" and it does
> not contain "slots"..well I think both can be used in modelling
> ontologies;

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  The "Getting Started with
Protege-Frames" tutorial is meant to be used with the Protege-Frames
editor, which is different than the Protege-OWL editor.  The Overview
section of our Web site gives a high-level description of the
differences between the two editors:

http://protege.stanford.edu/overview/

If you are interested in using Protege-OWL, you should instead refer to
the Protege-OWL tutorial:

http://www.co-ode.org/resources/tutorials/ProtegeOWLTutorial.pdf

> but owl editor does not contain the graphical method of creating
> ontologies, I guess with owlViz we can just view the  modelled ontology..

We have a separate mailing list for Protege-OWL
([hidden email]).  Please ask your questions about
graphical methods of creating OWL ontologies on that list instead.

Jennifer

Re: Updated Getting Started Tutorial

rakesh shejwalkar
hi,

thanx for the reply..actually I mixed up certain things..Actually I want to ask that "is there any special significance of using Protege Owl editor over Protege Frames editor"?? Can't we export the owl file ( by modelling ontology in "Frames editor" ) to the owl editor again to avail some of the other functionalities available in owl editor like linkage with "Reasoner" .

I wish to do automatic extraction of infomration from unstructured documents, for that ontoLT plugin is there, but the documenation is vis-a-vis "Frames editor"..
 that's why I am not very sure which editor will be the best for the purpose of creating ontology graphically and extracting infomation automatically..could u kindly brief me on this!

regards,

Rakesh

rakesh shejwalkar wrote:

> I have little doubts in the subtle differnces between "Forms" and
> Protege owl editor..Protege owl editor is the newer one, and it does
> not look like "Forms", it has separte tab for "Properties" and it does
> not contain "slots"..well I think both can be used in modelling
> ontologies;

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  The "Getting Started with
Protege-Frames" tutorial is meant to be used with the Protege-Frames
editor, which is different than the Protege-OWL editor.  The Overview
section of our Web site gives a high-level description of the
differences between the two editors:

http://protege.stanford.edu/overview/

If you are interested in using Protege-OWL, you should instead refer to
the Protege-OWL tutorial:

http://www.co-ode.org/resources/tutorials/ProtegeOWLTutorial.pdf

> but owl editor does not contain the graphical method of creating
> ontologies, I guess with owlViz we can just view the  modelled ontology..

We have a separate mailing list for Protege-OWL
([hidden email]).  Please ask your questions about
graphical methods of creating OWL ontologies on that list instead.

Jennifer

 Stay connected with your friends even when away from PC.  Link: http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/messenger/

Re: Updated Getting Started Tutorial

Jennifer Vendetti-2
 Rakesh,

I have answered your questions in separate posts.  Note that it is not
necessary to post the same question multiple times to the list.

Thank you,
Jennifer

rakesh shejwalkar wrote: hi, thanx for the reply..actually I mixed up
certainthings..Actually I want to ask that "is there any special
significanceof using Protege Owl editor over Protege Frames editor"?? Can't
we export the owl file ( by modelling ontology in "Frames editor" ) to the
owl editor again to avail some of the other functionalities available in owl
editor like linkage with "Reasoner" . I wish to do automatic extraction of
infomration from unstructured documents, for that ontoLT plugin is there,
butthe documenation is vis-a-vis "Frames editor".. that's why I am not very
sure which editor will be the best for the purpose of creating ontology
graphically and extracting infomation automatically..could u kindly brief me
on this! regards, Rakesh Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]>[1]
wrote:Rakesh, rakesh shejwalkar wrote: I have little doubts in the subtle
differnces between "Forms" and Protege owl editor..Protege owl editor is the
newer one, and it does not look like "Forms", it has separte tab for
"Properties" and it does not contain "slots"..well I think both can be used
in modelling ontologies; I'm not sure what you are asking here. The "Getting
differences between the two editors: http://protege.stanford.edu/overview/[2]
If you are interested in using Protege-OWL, you should instead refer to the
Protege-OWL tutorial:
http://www.co-ode.org/resources/tutorials/ProtegeOWLTutorial.pdf[3] but owl
editor does not contain the graphical method of creating ontologies, I guess
with owlViz we can just view the modelled ontology.. We have a separate
mailing list for Protege-OWL ([hidden email][4]). Please ask
your questions about graphical methods of creating OWL ontologies on that
list instead. Jennifer

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:[hidden email]
   2 http://protege.stanford.edu/overview/
   3 http://www.co-ode.org/resources/tutorials/ProtegeOWLTutorial.pdf
   4 mailto:[hidden email]
   5 http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
   6 http://in.messenger.yahoo.com
   7 http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/messenger/
   8 http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Re: Updated Getting Started Tutorial

rakesh shejwalkar
Jennifer,

Thanks a lot for giving answers to all those queries; things worked out well for me. My apologies for repeating myself here.

I have to ask you one thing more, if you could kindly give answer to this...
 I got to build an ontology model in some domain, and then have to use thsi for  automatic information extraction  from web. I thought ontoLT might be of little help, but for using ontoLT I have to use Frames editor. Then I think I would export the file to owl form for using some additional fuunctionalities of owl editor.

I just want to ask you had it been for your case, you would do the same or you could suggest some other better alternative for this purpose. Is there any other external plugin or  software needed to fulfil my purpose of building a model and then extracting information to add up to the model.

Thanking you..

regards,

Rakesh

Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:  Rakesh,

[...]

on this! regards, Rakesh Jennifer Vendetti [1]