Using expression checker inside a reasoner plugin

Using expression checker inside a reasoner plugin

Flory-2
Dear all,

I am working on a reasoner plugin and I need to parse a string to an OWLDescription using the ManchesterOWLExpressionCheckerFactory. But as I was saying in a previous e-mail the reasoner plugin has no access to the OWLModelManager which is required as parameter in the constructor of the ManchesterOWLExpressionCheckerFactory.

Does anyone know how could I solve my problem? Is there any other expression checker which I could use without the model manager?
Thanks a lot,
Flory

Re: Using expression checker inside a reasoner plugin

Matthew Horridge
Hi Flory,

Where do you get this string from?

On 8 Jul 2009, at 13:07, Floarea Serban wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am working on a reasoner plugin and I need to parse a string to an
> OWLDescription using the ManchesterOWLExpressionCheckerFactory. But
> as I was
> saying in a previous e-mail the reasoner plugin has no access to the
> OWLModelManager which is required as parameter in the constructor of
> the
> ManchesterOWLExpressionCheckerFactory.
>
> Does anyone know how could I solve my problem? Is there any other
> expression
> checker which I could use without the model manager?
> Thanks a lot,
> Flory

Re: Using expression checker inside a reasoner plugin

Flory-2
Hi Matthew,

We developed a new plugin (ViewComponent) to be able to describe
features for some classes in our ontology (which could not be
expressed only in OWL ). So we used a combination of Manchester syntax
and SWRL but we stored them as Annotations.
This is why I need to somehow parse these strings and get the
equivalent OWL expression or SWRL rule.

Best,
Flory

On 08.07.2009, at 14:31, Matthew Horridge wrote:

> Hi Flory,
>
> Where do you get this string from?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>
> On 8 Jul 2009, at 13:07, Floarea Serban wrote:
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am working on a reasoner plugin and I need to parse a string to an
>> OWLDescription using the ManchesterOWLExpressionCheckerFactory. But
>> as I was
>> saying in a previous e-mail the reasoner plugin has no access to the
>> OWLModelManager which is required as parameter in the constructor of
>> the
>> ManchesterOWLExpressionCheckerFactory.
>>
>> Does anyone know how could I solve my problem? Is there any other
>> expression
>> checker which I could use without the model manager?
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Flory

Re: Using expression checker inside a reasoner plugin

Nick Drummond
Hi Flory,

I would suggest that the annotations you are storing should not be
dependent on Protege's current renderer settings. Otherwise, if
someone changed the renderer settings none of your annotations would
be parseable. I would suggest that you need an internal form that is
unambiguous.

You should then provide your own OWLEntityChecker that can get from
this form back to the entity.
Then give this to your own ManchesterOWLSyntaxEditorParser to parse
the expression using parseDescription() .

The OWLDescriptionChecker provided by the factory also uses a
ManchesterOWLSyntaxEditorParser to parse the expression.
But our checkers use ProtegeOWLEntityChecker which uses Protege's
current renderer settings so would not be good for storing and sharing
the ontology.

Nick