Using "different" URIs?

Webb Roberts

How do I make assertions about a resource with the following URI?

http://bogus.org/resource/1

The Protege interface seems to require that I create a prefix for the
beginning of the URI ("p1"="http://bogus.org/resource/"), and then use
QName syntax for the full URI (p1:1), which is an invalid identifier in
the Protege interface.  Is there a way to enter full URIs instead of
QNames for individuals and classes?

When I edit the RDF directly, protege turns the entry into a prefix
definition (e.g. "p1"), and converts the individual to a QName with no
local name (e.g. "p1:"), which then gets converted to just an ID ("p1")
in the local namespace.

Thanks,
Webb Roberts

Re: Using "different" URIs?

Tania Tudorache

Webb,

Protege requires that the local parts of the class, property and
individual identifiers to start with a letter.

The same seems to apply also to RDF/OWL in general, because they are
using the XML namespace mechanism. In the specification, they state that
the local parts of the identifier have to start with a letter:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#NT-LocalPart
An NCName always starts with a letter.

According to these rules,

http://bogus.org/resource/1

is not a legal name for a class or individual.

Please ask in future OWL related questions on the OWL mailing list.

Thanks,
Tania