VOWL Protege Plugin does not display ontology correctly

VOWL Protege Plugin does not display ontology correctly

Michael
Hi, While the web version of VOWL displays correctly the attached ontology AfricanWildlifeOntology1.owl, the VOWL plugin in Protege does not. Among many incoherences, the VOWL plugin shows for example "elephant" as a subclass of plant... Is any way for the VOWL plugin to show such an ontology correctly? Best, Michael

Re: VOWL Protege Plugin does not display ontology correctly

Michael DeBellis-2
This is really a question for WebVowl not Protege. However, I think one issue may be that the WebVowl plugin is no longer supported for Protege. I don't see it listed when I do File>Check for plugins in the latest version (5.5) of Protege. And when I look at the WebVowl documentation for their plugin: http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/protegevowl.html  the screen shots of Protege look dated. You don't really need a plugin in my experience though, I just take my saved ontology and load it into WebVowl. It can also generate a JSON file that you can put on a web site so people can see the visualization without having to manually load your ontology into WebVowl.

Btw, if you do load your ontology into WebVowl one thing I would do is to first load it into Protege, run the reasoner, and then do File>Export inferred axioms as ontology and then use that exported file. That way you get all the values that are inferred by the reasoner but that won't show up if you load the normally saved ontology into WebVowl.

Also, regarding WebVowl you might want to play around with some of the options and filters. Things like "Degree of collapse" can yield unintuitive visualizations where things you would expect to see are hidden. I don't know if that is what's causing your issues, probably not but it's worth a look.

Michael