VOWL viewer-protege 5.2

Surya Dhullipalla
Hi

I am is  trying to view the owl file using the VOWL viewer in protege 5.2. i am unable to figure out this error. I really appreciate your help.

I have the following defined:

owlthing
Class A
Class B
data property Class B(address)  data type string.

I defined the data type address: Class B (Domain)which is the sub class of Class A
                                                 string (Range)

I get this error: I am not sure why...

Thanks
Surya Dhullipalla Ph.D
Health Care Data Architect
IBM Watson Health

Re: VOWL viewer-protege 5.2

Surya Dhullipalla

Hi

I am is  trying to view the owl file using the VOWL viewer in protege 5.2. i am unable to figure out this error. I really appreciate your help.

I have the following defined:

owlthing
Class A
Class B
data property Class B(address)  data type string.

I defined the data property address:
  Class B (Domain)which is the sub class of Class A
                                  string (Range)

I get this error: I am not sure why...

Thanks
Surya Dhullipalla Ph.D
Health Care Data Architect
IBM Watson Health

Re: VOWL viewer-protege 5.2

Lorenz Buehmann
Without seeing the whole ontology in a readable proper OWL syntax, impossible to say what's going on.

By the way, sending the mail once is enough!

Hi

I am is  trying to view the owl file using the VOWL viewer in protege 5.2. i am unable to figure out this error. I really appreciate your help.

I have the following defined:

owlthing
Class A
Class B
data property Class B(address)  data type string.

I defined the data property address:
  Class B (Domain)which is the sub class of Class A
                                  string (Range)

I get this error: I am not sure why...

Thanks
Surya Dhullipalla Ph.D
Health Care Data Architect
IBM Watson Health

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig

Re: VOWL viewer-protege 5.2

First, keep in mind this is the Protege support list. WebVowl is an interesting visualization tool but it’s completely independent of Protege. You should really be looking at their support.

Having said that, here’s my feedback. First, before you try to use VOWL, make sure you understand how to use OWL and Protege. Have you done the Pizza tutorial? Have you run the Reasoner on the latest version of your ontology before you tried to visualize it with VOWL?

Also, I don’t understand your example. Are you defining a new data type or a class? In OWL, those two things aren’t the same. Although it can be a bit confusing since classes can function the way you would think of a datatype, as the domain or range of a property. That’s why you should make sure to do the tutorial so you have the terminology straight.

There is a rich set of predefined datatypes already and it’s rare that you would need to define a new one. I’ve been using Protege and OWL for several years and have never had to define a new datatype.

There are two kinds of properties in OWL: object properties and data properties. Object properties have other classes as their range and data properties have datatypes as their range. Also, note that the range of a property is optional, unlike many programming languages. That’s one of the main differences between OWL and standard OOP, in standard OOP properties are always associated with some class, in OWL properties are essentially relations as defined in First Order Logic and hence independent of classes.

If you want to create some structured object, e.g., Address with fields like lastName and firstName typically Address would be a class and firstName, lastName, street, etc. would be data properties with datatype xsd:string. Btw, all the built in datatypes are standards, if you want documentation on any datatype just google it.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Michael

On Nov 12, 2018, at 5:11 PM, Surya Dhullipalla <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I am is  trying to view the owl file using the VOWL viewer in protege 5.2. i am unable to figure out this error. I really appreciate your help.

I have the following defined:

owlthing
Class A
Class B
data property Class B(address)  data type string.

I defined the data type address: Class B (Domain)which is the sub class of Class A
                                                 string (Range)

I get this error: I am not sure why...

<Image.663769407363.png>

Thanks
Surya Dhullipalla Ph.D
Health Care Data Architect
IBM Watson Health

Re: VOWL viewer-protege 5.2

Csongor Nyulas
Hi Surya,

From your description it is not clear to me what you have in the ontology.
Could you share the ontology, or at least a small extract from it that causes the error.

Thank you,
Csongor