Version of the OWL API

Pavel Klinov
Hi all,

Is there any particular reason why the most recent version of Protege
4.3 (build 304 for Linux) still comes with a pretty old version of the
OWL API (3.4.2)? I wonder because there has been a bug in the
functional syntax parser (not parsing OWL FSS comments) which has been
fixed in the OWL API but P4.3 still doesn't load ontologies with
#-comments.

A more general question: can P4 auto-update the OWL API as other plug-ins?

Thanks!

Pavel

Re: Version of the OWL API

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hi Pavel,

On 3/17/2014 3:02 AM, Pavel Klinov wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why the most recent version of Protege
> 4.3 (build 304 for Linux) still comes with a pretty old version of the
> OWL API (3.4.2)?

We've been slow to publish a new version of Protege Desktop because
we've been in the process of doing a big overhaul of our configuration
management process.  We moved the Protege 4 codebase from our Stanford
hosted Subversion repository [1] to GitHub [2]. We've also replaced all
of our Ant build scripts with Maven.  At the moment we're working on
updating our internal build process to use the new Maven build files.

> I wonder because there has been a bug in the
> functional syntax parser (not parsing OWL FSS comments) which has been
> fixed in the OWL API but P4.3 still doesn't load ontologies with
> #-comments.

If you wanted to use a newer version of the OWL API immediately, there
are a couple of things you could try:

1).  Delete 3.4.2 from the Protege plugins directory and replace it with
the latest from Maven Central [3].

2).  Build Protege 5.0 from source, which currently comes with version
3.4.8 of the OWL API.  There are straightforward instructions for
building from source on GitHub [4].

We hope to do a public 5.0 beta release sometime in the next couple of
months.

> A more general question: can P4 auto-update the OWL API as other plug-ins?

The OWL API is so integral to the functionality of Protege and end user
plug-ins that we've been reluctant to add this library to auto-update.
We'd prefer that new versions of the OWL API come as part of a new
Protege release.

Best,
Jennifer

[1] http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege4/