Versioning/Publishing

mha

Versioning/Publishing

mha
Hello,

Will Protege 5 have any kind of versioning plugin that would allow me to 1)
tag different versions of the same ontology and 2) load different versions
of the same ontology into view?

I see that Protege 5 allows me to view the history of changes made to an
ontology, so I was wondering if Protege will support this type of
functionality in the future.

Sincerely,
Ming

Re: Versioning/Publishing

Hi Ming,

How large is your ontology?  My first recommendation is to put it into GitHub (size permitting) and to use that to version and tag releases of your ontology.

> On 16 Jan 2019, at 11:33, mha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> Will Protege 5 have any kind of versioning plugin that would allow me to 1)
> tag different versions of the same ontology and 2) load different versions
> of the same ontology into view?
>
> I see that Protege 5 allows me to view the history of changes made to an
> ontology, so I was wondering if Protege will support this type of
> functionality in the future.
>

> Sincerely,
> Ming

mha

Re: Versioning/Publishing

mha
Hey Matthew,

The ontologies can be stored on any Git server.

I was more curious about the versioning and tagging mechanisms that Protege
supports out-of-the-box. Given your first recommendation, is it correct to
say that Protege does NOT support versioning and tagging out-of-the-box and
that this functionality will have to be provided by other tools?

Sincerely,
Ming

Re: Versioning/Publishing

Hi Ming,

There have been some versioning related plugins in the past.  For example there is an ontology diff plugin.  I don’t know of anything that has allowed tagging though.  To me this implies some sort of version control repository.

My advice to use GitHub is based on the fact that it’s successfully being used for other ontologies and because it’s an off the shelf, robust solution for this.  We also have plans to support some kind of further integration with Git and GitHub, so that you can see diffs for entities in the UI etc.

If you’re able to use or try out WebProtege, it has a simple change tracking system where the complete history is tracked for a project and you can download a project as it was at any time in the past.  You can see who has done what and you can revert changes.  A current limitation is that WebProtege doesn’t have any kind of branching support though.  You should at least take a look at it though and see if it meets your needs.

> On 17 Jan 2019, at 06:31, mha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Matthew,
>

> The ontologies can be stored on any Git server.
>
> I was more curious about the versioning and tagging mechanisms that Protege
> supports out-of-the-box. Given your first recommendation, is it correct to
> say that Protege does NOT support versioning and tagging out-of-the-box and
> that this functionality will have to be provided by other tools?
>

> Sincerely,
> Ming

mha

Re: Versioning/Publishing

mha
Hey Matthew,

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for getting back to me :D

Cheers,
Ming