WebProtege fullscreen string edit

Laura Morales
I've tried out WebProtege and I like it really much. I have a couple of questions though, specifically regarding the editing of individuals, because I'm planning to use my instance with other people:

- is it possible to edit a property in fullscreen, instead of a textbox? In my particular case, I'd like to add a string property to my classes for inserting a lot of formatted text, for example a Markdown document. This can contain unformatted text, tables, math formulas, markdown metadata, so it's rather inconvenient to be editing text in a tight textbox. It would be really convenient to have a "fullscreen editor" mode

- is there any ACL mechanism such that some people are only allowed to edit a restricted amount of individuals? Or maybe allow editing of individuals but not classes/properties?

- does the desktop version of Protege (so, not the web version) allow for collaboration with other people over the Internet (directly from the UI, therefore without having to export/import everything all the time)?

Thanks!

Re: WebProtege fullscreen string edit

Hi Laura,

> I've tried out WebProtege and I like it really much. I have a couple of questions though, specifically regarding the editing of individuals, because I'm planning to use my instance with other people:
>
> - is it possible to edit a property in fullscreen, instead of a textbox? In my particular case, I'd like to add a string property to my classes for inserting a lot of formatted text, for example a Markdown document. This can contain unformatted text, tables, math formulas, markdown metadata, so it's rather inconvenient to be editing text in a tight textbox. It would be really convenient to have a "fullscreen editor” mode

We don’t have such functionality but I’d be willing to add this.  I’ve filed an issue for this:

https://github.com/protegeproject/webprotege/issues/615

> - is there any ACL mechanism such that some people are only allowed to edit a restricted amount of individuals? Or maybe allow editing of individuals but not classes/properties?

WebProtege supports this under the hood (it has quite a fine-grained hierarchical role based access control mechanism), but it currently isn’t configurable in the UI.  You’re the first to ask for this, surprisingly.  I’ve filed an issue for this:

https://github.com/protegeproject/webprotege/issues/616

> - does the desktop version of Protege (so, not the web version) allow for collaboration with other people over the Internet (directly from the UI, therefore without having to export/import everything all the time)?

There’s a client/server mode, but I’m not best placed to comment on this.  Will leave it to colleagues to say more.