WebProtege user management and email setup

WebProtege user management and email setup

Ivan Rygaev
Hello!

We have installed a local copy of WebProtege, first in test mode. When we switched to production mode, some users forgot they passwords and tried to restore them via email. That did not work because email parameters have not been set up.

Then I tried to set up smtp.gmail.com, but did not succeed much. I tried the following configuration among others:
mail.smtp.host=smtp.gmail.com
mail.smtp.auth=true
mail.smtp.port=587
mail.smtp.starttls.enable=true
mail.smtp.user=[hidden email]
mail.smtp.wp.password=<password>
mail.smtp.password=<password>

I tried to put it in mail.properties file, in webprotege.properties file with no effect. The email never comes and the only error I see in logs is the following (in the tomcat-stderr.log):

[WebProtege] Fri Dec 23 11:58:50 MSK 2016
             Illegally formatted log message: A password reset email could not be sent to user % at %s.  The password was reset to %s.. a != java.lang.String
[WebProtege] Fri Dec 23 11:58:50 MSK 2016
             The password for guest has been reset.  An email has been sent to [hidden email] that contains the new password.

This message pops up every time without any details. So I'm not even sure that my changes in the configuration make any difference.

Can you please clarify, what is right way to set up SMTP parameters in webprotege (particularly for smtp.gmail.com)?

Also, is there any way to see the list of registered users and their (possibly hashed) passwords? Where are they stored? I checked inside 'webprotege' Mongo DB but could not find anything about users.

Thank you.

Ivan.

Re: WebProtege user management and email setup

Tania Tudorache

Ivan,

The properties files should be located in webprotege/WEB-INF/classes/ in the tomcat apps folder.

For example, mail.properties would be in: tomcat/webapps/webprotege/WEB-INF/classes/mail.properties.

We have used successfully on another server the following gmail mail settings (add them to mail.properties):

mail.smtp.host=smtp.gmail.com
mail.smtp.auth=true
mail.debug=false
mail.smtp.socketFactory.port=465
mail.smtp.socketFactory.class=javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory
mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback=false
mail.smtp.user=[hidden email]
mail.smtp.wp.password=your_password
mail.smtp.password=your_password

Good luck!
Tania

Re: WebProtege user management and email setup

Ivan Rygaev
Tania,

Thank you very much!

Indeed I put mail.properties file in the wrong place. I read somewhere that it must be in the same folder with webprotege.properties, but there are two webprotege.properties files.

Now it works fine.

Thank you!

Ivan.

Re: WebProtege user management and email setup

Tania Tudorache

Great to hear.

Indeed, the documentation on the wiki was outdated. It asked that the webprotege.properties and mail.properties files be placed in the root of the webapp, but we have changed that at some point, and did not update the documentation.

I did fix the documentation now. Thank you for bringing up the issue!

Cheers,

Tania