What is OWL Api

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What is OWL Api

s.a.s.a.n
This post was updated on .
hello everyone. I just have not understood what OWL Api is !
I want to develop my own program (for some reason) to create , edit and ...
an OWL ontology .as I was searching I faced " OWL Api " .
Is that the same thing that I want ? I mean OWL Api has classes and functions that help in creating  , editing and ...  an ontology programmatically ?  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

Josef Hardi

Yes correct, and you can start looking at the example code here https://github.com/owlcs/owlapi/blob/version4/contract/src/test/java/org/semanticweb/owlapi/examples/Examples.java

/Josef

________________________________________
From: protege-user <[hidden email]> on behalf of s.a.s.a.n <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 11:46 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [protege-user] What is OWL Api

hello everyone. I just have not understood what OWL Api is !
I want to develop my own program (for some reason) to create , edit and ...
an OWL ontology .as I was searching I faced " OWL Api " .
Is that the same thing that I want ? I mean OWL Api has classes and
functions that help int creating  , editing and ...  an ontology
programmatically ?



--
View this message in context: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/What-is-OWL-Api-tp4663822.html
Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

Ray Rashif
In reply to this post by s.a.s.a.n
Yes, the OWL API gives you programmatic access to OWL models with OWL
semantics (it is at a higher abstraction level than RDF). You have the
option of using other APIs such as Jena and Sesame if your ontology
does not employ complex OWL constructs.

On 1 November 2015 at 12:46, s.a.s.a.n <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello everyone. I just have not understood what OWL Api is !
> I want to develop my own program (for some reason) to create , edit and ...
> an OWL ontology .as I was searching I faced " OWL Api " .
> Is that the same thing that I want ? I mean OWL Api has classes and
> functions that help int creating  , editing and ...  an ontology
> programmatically ?
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/What-is-OWL-Api-tp4663822.html
> Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> protege-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user



--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

s.a.s.a.n
In reply to this post by s.a.s.a.n
thank yo for answering. I searched about different Apis and finally decided start with protege Api .
I would be grateful if someone give me a step by step guidance how to get start it , what file to download (and from where ! ) .
thanks
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

Csongor Nyulas-2
Administrator
Are you familiar at all with ontologies?
Do you have an existing ontology?
You could try to install Protege to see how an ontology looks like. You
can download Protege from here:
http://protege.stanford.edu/

You could also try to educate yourself about OWL, for example from this
tutorial:
http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/publications/talks-and-tutorials/protg-owl-tutorial/

And if you need to write code, use the link that Josef gave you [1]. It
is probably the best way to understand how you can manipulate an OWL
ontology with the OWL API.

Csongor

[1]
https://github.com/owlcs/owlapi/blob/version4/contract/src/test/java/org/semanticweb/owlapi/examples/Examples.java

On 11/05/2015 07:01 AM, s.a.s.a.n wrote:

> thank yo for answering. I searched about different Apis and finally decided
> start with protege Api .
> I would be grateful if someone give me a step by step guidance how to get
> start it , what file to download (and from where ! ) .
> thanks
>  
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/What-is-OWL-Api-tp4663822p4663852.html
> Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> protege-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user


_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

s.a.s.a.n
of course ! I Im working on it with protege for 3 months . I know its not too much but , familiar ? definitely yes! and the code you mentioned is for owl Api if Im not wrong. I wanna start with protege Api for owl.
but if I have understood something wrong I would be thankful to you for remind .
and one thing more : I saw this page but the mentioned  guidance link : not found ! here is the page and link in it :
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/ProtegeOWL_API_Programmers_Guide
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html#source
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

Csongor Nyulas-2
Administrator
Hi s.a.s.a.n,

Sorry for the broken link. I have updated the wiki page to point to the
appropriate documentation.
However, as you can see, this documentation refers to the old
Protege-OWL API, which is used in Protege 3.x.
Both Protege Desktop, starting with version 4.0, and WebProtege,
starting with v 2.0, uses the OWL API to manipulate the ontologies.
So, unless you have a Protege-Frames ontology, or a very special use
case, you should also try to use the OWL API, instead of the Protege-OWL
API, to programmatically manipulate your ontology, and Protege version
5.x, to manually edit it.

Cheers,
Csongor


On 11/06/2015 12:58 AM, s.a.s.a.n wrote:

> of course ! I Im working on it with protege for 3 months . I know its not too
> much but , familiar ? definitely yes! and the code you mentioned is for owl
> Api if Im not wrong. I wanna start with protege Api for owl.
> but if I have understood something wrong I would be thankful to you for
> remind .
> and one thing more : I saw this page but the mentioned  guidance link : not
> found ! here is the page and link in it :
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/ProtegeOWL_API_Programmers_Guide
> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html#source
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/What-is-OWL-Api-tp4663822p4663858.html
> Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> protege-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user


_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

s.a.s.a.n
thank you for your attention .I did not know that (about old API) . now because Im new to these thing specially in java programming can you help me as I said before about files and how to use them ?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

Csongor Nyulas-2
Administrator
So, did you decide which API do you want to use?

If you want to use the OWL API (which is used in all our new products and by many other developers that build applications with ontologies), then the first method in the example code that Josef and I referred to earlier, shows you exactly how to load an ontology in OWL API:
https://github.com/owlcs/owlapi/blob/version4/contract/src/test/java/org/semanticweb/owlapi/examples/Examples.java#L94

If you decided to go with the old Protege-OWL API (not recommended) then you should study the Protege-OWL API programming guide:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/ProtegeOWL_API_Programmers_Guide
and follow the outgoing links, at minimum the link to Programming with Protege-OWL. Both of these pages have example code for how to load an ontology. Search the page for "ProtegeOWL.".

Csongor


On 11/06/2015 04:05 AM, s.a.s.a.n wrote:
thank you for your attention .I did not know that (about old API) . now
because Im new to these thing specially in java programming can you help me
as I said before about files and how to use them ? 



--
View this message in context: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/What-is-OWL-Api-tp4663822p4663863.html
Sent from the Protege User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user


_______________________________________________
protege-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is OWL Api

s.a.s.a.n
Yes According to your explanation decided to work with OWL API.
but you were right ! I must learn much more than this about OWL itself :)