Where to publish an ontology to set a namespace

Where to publish an ontology to set a namespace

lsarni
I have been working on a Curricula Ontology and I would like to publish it
somewhere so I can set up the correct namespace for it.
Right now the namespace is
http://www.semanticweb.org/lsarni/ontologies/curricula
<http://www.semanticweb.org/lsarni/ontologies/curricula>   which clearly
doesn't exist.

The documentation for the ontologies is  on GitHub pages
<https://lsarni.github.io/OntoCIS/>   and I could point to the raw files on
the GitHub repository:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lsarni/OntoCIS/master/curricula.owl
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lsarni/OntoCIS/master/curricula.owl>   or
point it to the definition on the documentation, but any of this things
looks pretty awful and I haven't come across any ontologies that do that.

What is the normal way of doing this if the ontology doesn't have a custom
domain? Is there a repository for ontologies?(I know of OBO but it doesn't
work for this kind of domain)

Thanks for your help!

Re: Where to publish an ontology to set a namespace

Biswanath Dutta

Hi,
If I understood your email correctly, then I think you have two aspects:
(1) Where to publish your ontology (so that people know about it, and may also use it);
(2) The URI of the ontology (IMO, this is the most important one).

For the first one, there are many ontology repositories and registries are available, for instance, repositories like Linked Open Vocabularies (http://lov.okfn.org/), Biblio onto portal (https://biblio.ontoportal.org/), the registries like Protege Ontology Library ((https://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_Ontology_Library). For many such examples, you may look at [1, 2, 3]

For the second aspect, i.e. assigning the persistent URI to your vocabulary, you may explore the followings URI services: https://w3id.org/http://purl.org/

2. MOD: Metadata for Ontology Description and Publication (http://www.isibang.ac.in/~bisu/paper/MOD_CameraReady_ResearchGate_Version_Final.pdf

3. New Generation Metadata Vocabulary for Ontology Description and Publication (http://www.isibang.ac.in/~bisu/paper/MTSR_2017_NewGenerationMetadata_Springer.pdf

Hope this help.

Happy Ontology Publication

Biswanath Dutta

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 5:31 AM, lsarni <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I don't have time now to create an instance of MOD for my ontology, but I
will add it to the future work list. Unless there is a way to generate this
in a semi-automatic way? I'm using OnToology for the documentation [1]

So the way to go now would be:
1. Create a persistent URI that points to the GitHub raw files
2. Use it as the namespace
3. Publish on one of the repositories using the persistent URI

Does it make sense?

[1]:  https://github.com/OnToology/OnToology
<https://github.com/OnToology/OnToology>

Re: Where to publish an ontology to set a namespace

Biswanath Dutta

Hi, please find my reply inline.

I don't have time now to create an instance of MOD for my ontology, but I
will add it to the future work list.

The pointers to MOD related papers were not to tell you to use MOD (at this point) but to refer you to various state of the art ontology repositories and registries.

However, I would be surely interested to get your feedback on MOD, also to see you using it in the near future, :-)

Unless there is a way to generate this
in a semi-automatic way?

In one word, yes. BUT for this we should have a right tool to support, and for this matter the ontology editors can play a major role.
So far, we haven't developed any such tool but it is in our agenda.

I'm using OnToology for the documentation [1]

So the way to go now would be:
1. Create a persistent URI that points to the GitHub raw files

Yes, you should have a URI to use it as a namespace for your ontology. So, that people/software can send HTTP request to your ontology, can browse your ontology, can reuse, and so forth. The ideal situation is that the defined URI should be a persistent and dereferenciable one.

Now, GitHub has not much to do with the above. We primairily use GitHub to maintain our project and also to collaborate with others.

2. Use it as the namespace
3. Publish on one of the repositories using the persistent URI

Yes,

Regards,
Biswanath

Does it make sense?

[1]:  https://github.com/OnToology/OnToology
<https://github.com/OnToology/OnToology

Re: Where to publish an ontology to set a namespace

lsarni
Thanks again, I ended up finding this tutorial [1] and the updated version
[2] which combined with your (more theoretical) answer helped me publish the
ontology.

I'm including the links in case someone else might find this question.

[1]:
https://linkingresearch.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/how-to-properly-publish-a-vocabulary-or-ontology-in-the-web-1-of-6/

[2]:
https://linkingresearch.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/permanent-identifiers-and-vocabulary-publication-purl-org-and-w3id/