Which protege should I use?

HC-2

Dear Protege Users,

Which protege should I use for my project?

I have designed a Web-based database using ASP.NET and MS SQL Express for
storing information like do and don'ts people learned from different projects.
The database comprises a number of tables for storing, e.g.:
(1) User details
(2) Project Details
(3) Various categories of Do's and Dont's
(4) Details of Do's and Dont's

I have created a search function which allows users to filter the search
results based on a combination of (1),(2),(3), and keywords for(4) using
ASP.net. However, the problem I am facing is that the search cannot
automatically include synonyms of the keywords searched for when performing
the search. For e.g., lift=elevator, but the search function would not include
another term automatically in the search.

Therefore, I am exploring the potential to use protege to address my problem,
i.e. by automatically return the results that contains the synonyms of the
keywords as well. Can protege do it? If yes, which version? and ...How?

Please accept my thanks in advance! Cheers.

Re: Which protege should I use?

Jennifer Vendetti-2

HC,

HC wrote:
> Which protege should I use for my project?

If you are considering using Protege-Frames (to develop a frame-based
ontology), you could either use the 3.1.1 release or the latest 3.2
beta.  However, if you are considering developing your ontology with the
Protege-OWL editor, we strongly recommend the latest 3.2 beta, which has
many critical bug fixes.

> I have designed a Web-based database using ASP.NET and MS SQL Express for storing information like do and don'ts people learned from different projects. The database comprises a number of tables for storing, e.g.:
> (1) User details
> (2) Project Details
> (3) Various categories of Do's and Dont's
> (4) Details of Do's and Dont's
>
> I have created a search function which allows users to filter the search results based on a combination of (1),(2),(3), and keywords for(4) using ASP.net. However, the problem I am facing is that the search cannot automatically include synonyms of the keywords searched for when performing the search. For e.g., lift=elevator, but the search function would not include another term automatically in the search.
>
> Therefore, I am exploring the potential to use protege to address my problem, i.e. by automatically return the results that contains the synonyms of the keywords as well. Can protege do it? If yes, which version? and ...How?

The following resources may be of use to you:

1).  There is a Wiki page that describes how to create synonyms in
Protege: http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CreatingSynonyms.

2).  A user developed an extended search API for Protege, which may be
useful to you for the type of searches you described above:
http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/searchapi/index.html.

3).  Protege API documentation:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html#api.

Jennifer

Re: Which protege should I use?

HC-2
Jennifer,

Thank you very much for answering my questions. I have downloaded the
recommended 3.2 Beta and will give it a try later. Please excuse some of my
questions as I am an absolute newbie to Protege :)

My Web-based database (hereinafter referred to as "application") was
developed using MS SQL Express server and ASP.net without Protege in mind.
It is now up and running. Therefore, if possible, I really hope that I dont
have to redevelop my application in order to use the features offerred by
Protege. However, after reading through the information forwarded by you I
am still a bit lost as to how to develop the search function that can
automatically include synonyms in the results returned I wish to have using
protege :(

Any tips would be greately appreciated.

Regards,

HC