Why a superclass is not including the instances of subclasses in Protégé

Why a superclass is not including the instances of subclasses in Protégé

Marcelino Borges

I have a very simple class hierarchy, specified in OWL, with Protégé. For example:

-Person
--Man
--Woman

That is, every man is a person and every woman is a person.

When I include instances of Man and Woman, I expect that these instances would be included as instances of Person, as well. But the resulting classification is not as expected. Even when I run the reasoner.

I'm using owl 2 and Protégé 5.0.

Why Person is not including the isntances of Man and Woman?

Re: Why a superclass is not including the instances of subclasses in Protégé

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Marcelino,

The explanation for why this happens was given in previous threads:

Bottom line is, instances of Man and Woman are inferred to be instances of Person, but are not shown in the UI. Checking for instances of Person in the DL Query will yield the expected result. Also, the 'Classification Results' view shows the expected inferred axioms (Window > Views > Ontology views > Classification Results).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rafael

On Feb 18, 2016, at 07:32, Marcelino Sente <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have a very simple class hierarchy, specified in OWL, with Protégé. For example:

-Person
--Man
--Woman

That is, every man is a person and every woman is a person.

When I include instances of Man and Woman, I expect that these instances would be included as instances of Person, as well. But the resulting classification is not as expected. Even when I run the reasoner.

I'm using owl 2 and Protégé 5.0.

Why Person is not including the isntances of Man and Woman?

Re: Why a superclass is not including the instances of subclasses in Protégé

Lorenz Buehmann
Hello Rafael,

I think those things should made somewhere "sticky", like in a FAQ section. This might avoid duplicate questions, which probably will arise quite often.

Kind regards,
Lorenz

[...]

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig

Re: Why a superclass is not including the instances of subclasses in Protégé

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Lorenz,

Quite right, thanks. We’ll put some of these common questions related to Protege 5 on a FAQ (GitHub) wiki page.

Cheers,
Rafael

On Feb 19, 2016, at 00:55, Lorenz B. <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dave McComb-2
It is.  The UI does not display all the “trivial inferences.”  You can prove to your self that it has inferred this by making a less trivial class, maybe make a class that is the intersection of Person and say Ontologist.  Make one of you women an Ontologist and she will be in the intersection class.

The UI, in an attempt to declutter doesn’t show all it knows.  Sometimes this can be dismaying.