Why my ontology isn't going any further

Eric Armstrong

I started what I hoped would become a "reference database",
like one I put in place on a local system once upon a time,
about a decade ago.

WebProtege seemed like a good vehicle for that, because it
would allow for open collaboration, like a Wiki.

But then I found that when I clicked on "projects I own", lo and behold,
nothing changed! I still saw all of the projects, rather than just mind.

Then I found that the login page defeats stored username/passwords,
so even though I am logging in from the same computer, I need to
type in the username and password, each time.

That wouldn't be difficult, on the face of it. But it poses an impediment
that prevents quick additions and quick references. Worse, I have to
*remember* those credentials, which means looking up the hints I have
stored among the hundred-or-so sites where I have memberships.

Taken together, the system poses too many obstacles to slow growth.
Hopefully, someone has posted a version of it elsewhere, where I can
get to it as easily as I can get to Wikipedia....

thanks for listening.
eric

Re: Why my ontology isn't going any further

Eric Armstrong

Nice! Thanks for the update.

My alternative was to consider hosting it at my (soon to be
refurbished) site at treelight.com.

I could maybe put it in a subdomain like cite., and call it it a
citation database, or something.

Note:
I suspect that could be the "killer app" that drives Protege adoption.
It's not much more than a linked DB, but it's so much easier to do
in Protege--and the ability to collaborate and share citations would
make tremendously useful, over time.

Just an idea...
:__)

On 3/20/2017 3:50 PM, Matthew Horridge wrote:
[...]

P.S.
If you haven't already, sign up for announcements in your areas of interest:
TreeLight.com/subscribe.html

(My time between messages is months when I'm active in
one of the areas, and years when I'm not. So you won't
be getting a lot of spam. :__)