Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

12

Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Carol Hill
Just downloaded the software after migrating from XP, using all default options.  I had to reinstall the software with the java Virtual machine in package.  Once done, the software opens as expected with interface.  But if I try to open owl file (File, Open), the software crashes.   Happens so quickly I can't even see an error message.  I did try to search the question in the user search option.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall or do I have another incompatibility to address?   I read the getting started at http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/owl/getting-started.htm, but I don't remember seeing Basic + OWL options in the Wizard.  I do not have the /plugins/edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl but I have various jar files in the folder /plugins from onther organizations incliding org.protege.editor.owl.jar.

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Hi Carol,
Try the following: open a command line terminal, change the directory to
the newly installed Protege folder and run Protege
Do what you did before (open owl file, etc.) and let us know what
messages you will get on the terminal.

Csongor

Carol Hill
I will try as soon as I get an IT buddy to help me (too novice & unconfortable at command line cmd).  Will let you know the result of any messages.   I don't think is a memory problem (was just upgraded to 8 GB RAM).  Thanks for the help offer!

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Csongor Nyulas
I just realized that if you run the Protege.exe from the command line,
it will open Protege in a separate window, which will probably disappear
instantaneously as soon as Protege crashes, so you still won't see the
messages. So please run Protege with the run.bat file instead (note:you
may need to specify where your java is in the run.bat). Alternatively
you can send us the content of the last log file in the Protege/log
directory.

Realted to your other observations:
/plugins/edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl is a Protege 3 plugin. You don't
need it in Protege 4. You have /plugins/org.protege.editor.owl.jar,
which is good.

Csongor

On 05/23/2014 01:09 PM, Csongor Nyulas wrote:

> Hi Carol,
> Try the following: open a command line terminal, change the directory
> to the newly installed Protege folder and run Protege
> Do what you did before (open owl file, etc.) and let us know what
> messages you will get on the terminal.
>
> Csongor
>
> On 05/23/2014 12:58 PM, Carol Hill wrote:
>> Just downloaded the software after migrating from XP, using all default
>> options.  I had to reinstall the software with the java Virtual
>> machine in
>> package.  Once done, the software opens as expected with interface.
>> But if
>> I try to open owl file (File, Open), the software crashes. Happens so
>> quickly I can't even see an error message.  I did try to search the
>> question
>> in the user search option.
>>
>> Do I need to uninstall and reinstall or do I have another
>> incompatibility to
>> address?   I read the getting started at
>> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/owl/getting-started.htm, but I don't
>> remember seeing Basic + OWL options in the Wizard.  I do not have the
>> /plugins/edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl but I have various jar files
>> in the
>> folder /plugins from onther organizations incliding
>> org.protege.editor.owl.jar.

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Csongor Nyulas
Open the Windows start menu (for example by pressing the Windows key),
and type "cmd", then press Enter.
On the command line write:
cd "\Program Files\Protege_4.3"
then
run            (or "run.bat")

Csongor

On 05/23/2014 01:32 PM, Carol Hill wrote:

> I will try as soon as I get an IT buddy to help me (too novice &
> unconfortable at command line cmd).  Will let you know the result of any
> messages.   I don't think is a memory problem (was just upgraded to 8 GB
> RAM).  Thanks for the help offer!

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Carol Hill
Thank you.  Message in the comand window.

java - server -Dlog4j.configuration=file:log4j.xml-
DentityExpressionLimit=100000000 - Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -Dorg.protege.plugin.dir=
plugins -classpath bin/felix.jar;bin/ProtegeLauncher.jar org.protege.osgi.framework.Launcher
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, orperable program or hatch file.

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
You should add this in the first line of your run.bat file:
PATH=jre/bin;%PATH%
If you can't, because you don't have administrator rights to modify the
file, just execute this command on your command line, just before you
execute the run.bat file file.

Let us know what messages you get in the terminal.

Csongor

On 05/23/2014 02:08 PM, Carol Hill wrote:

> Thank you.  Message in the comand window.
>
> java - server -Dlog4j.configuration=file:log4j.xml-
> DentityExpressionLimit=100000000 - Dfile.encoding=utf-8
> -Dorg.protege.plugin.dir=
> plugins -classpath bin/felix.jar;bin/ProtegeLauncher.jar
> org.protege.osgi.framework.Launcher
> 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, orperable
> program or hatch file.

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Carol Hill
c:\Program Files\Protege_4.3>PATH=jre/bin;C:\oracle\product\11.2.0.4\client_1\bin;C:\oracle\product\11.1.0.6\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:C:\WINDOES\System32
\When;C:\WINDOWS\system22\WindowsPowerShe11\v1.0'C"Program Files\SASHome94\Secure\ccme4;C:\Program Files\SASHome94\x86\Secure\ccme4;C:\Program Files (x86)\
Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x64;
C:\Program Files <x86>\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x86;C:\Program Files <x86>\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x64;C:\Program Files <x86>\SSH Communications Security\SSH Secure Shell java - server -Dlog4j.configuration=file:log4j.xml -DentityExpansionLimit=100000000 -Dfile.endocing=utf -Dorg.protege.plugin.dir=plugins -classpathbin/felix.jar;bin/ProtegeLauncher.jar org.protege.osgi.framework.Launcher

I have just typed in run.  Do I need to do run.bat?  I apparently have a lot of java on my computer.

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
I think I made a typo before. You should execute the command:
PATH=jre\bin;%PATH%
(with back slash '\' between "jre" and "bin", not forward slash '/')
Just typing "run" should be fine.
Csongor

Still has even more in the message.  Hope the screenshot makes it.

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Carol Hill
This post was updated on .

I have the
PATH=jre\bin;%PATH%
in the run.bat file first line, first item.

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Jennifer Vendetti
On 5/23/2014 1:35 PM, Csongor Nyulas wrote:
> I just realized that if you run the Protege.exe from the command line,
> it will open Protege in a separate window, which will probably
> disappear instantaneously as soon as Protege crashes, so you still
> won't see the messages. So please run Protege with the run.bat file
> instead (note:you may need to specify where your java is in the
> run.bat). Alternatively you can send us the content of the last log
> file in the Protege/log directory.

Just a small addition to Csongor's response.

On a Windows 7 64-bit machine, your Protege log files are located in
your user directory, i.e.:

C:/Users/<your-username>/.Protege/logs

Jennifer

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Carol Hill
Thanks, Jennifer.  Yes, that is the location of the log file.  Nothing special in log as I can tell but has following REGARDING THE .  I changed directory to "user" below.  Looking

INFO  Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at http://www.semanticweb.org/user/ontologies/2014/4/untitled-ontology-3  org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
INFO  Setting active ontology to OntologyID(OntologyIRI(<http://www.semanticweb.org/user/ontologies/2014/4/untitled-ontology-3>))  org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
INFO  Rebuilding entity indices...  org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
INFO  ... rebuilt in 1 ms  org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
INFO  ... active ontology changed  org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
INFO  Using OWL API version 3.4.2  org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit[AWT-EventQueue-0]
INFO  Rebuilding entity indices...  org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[AWT-EventQueue-0]
INFO  ... rebuilt in 4 ms  org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[AWT-EventQueue-0]

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Does Protege still continues to crash after you open your OWL file?
Can you send us the log file that is generated after Protege crashes?

Csongor

On 05/23/2014 04:58 PM, Carol Hill wrote:

> Thanks, Jennifer.  Yes, that is the location of the log file.  Nothing
> special in log as I can tell but has following REGARDING THE .  I changed
> directory to "user" below.  Looking
>
> INFO  Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at
> http://www.semanticweb.org/user/ontologies/2014/4/untitled-ontology-3
> org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
> INFO  Setting active ontology to
> OntologyID(OntologyIRI(<http://www.semanticweb.org/user/ontologies/2014/4/untitled-ontology-3>))
> org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
> INFO  Rebuilding entity indices...
> org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
> INFO  ... rebuilt in 1 ms
> org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
> INFO  ... active ontology changed
> org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[FelixDispatchQueue]
> INFO  Using OWL API version 3.4.2
> org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit[AWT-EventQueue-0]
> INFO  Rebuilding entity indices...
> org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[AWT-EventQueue-0]
> INFO  ... rebuilt in 4 ms
> org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl[AWT-EventQueue-0]

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Füzi, Peter
Csongor, Carol,

I offer my background assistance, should you need it - I too use 64 bit Windows platform.

If you eventually need to retest some setting on a second instance specifically of the same platform, I'm more than happy to support you.
Protégé v3.4, 3.5 and 4.3 are installed on my PC.

Regards,
Péter Füzi

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

jeffxu
Hi Nyulas,

I encounters the same problem with Protégé 4.3 as Carol did on my Win7 64bit laptop. I followed your suggestion and here is the error message I got from the command window below. I have no clue if this is a java bug or a protégé 4.3 configuration issue. Can you please help ... thanks in advance!

Jeff
-------------------------
Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at http://www.semanticweb.org/510258/ontologies/2014/5/untitled-ontology-18
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007feff482b2a, pid=386876, tid=386932
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (1.6.0_01-b06 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [SHLWAPI.dll+0x12b2a]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as C:\Users\510258\AppData
\Local\Temp\hs_err_pid386876.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
c:\Program Files\Protege_4.3>

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Hi Jeff,

This seems like a Java issue.
Can you send us the

C:\Users\510258\AppData\Local\Temp\hs_err_pid386876.log

file? There should be error codes in it and other key information,
googleing for which could provide a useful starting point.

I guess your Java installation is somehow corrupted. Maybe the
SHLWAPI.dll has been overwritten or something. Anyway, you could try to
install a newer Java (your version is quite old), and see if running
Protege with the new Java would still cause the crash.

You can also read this older thread where someone had similar problems
of JVM crashing at start:
http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/protege-4-1-does-not-start-with-java-virtual-machine-1-6-0-td2307721.html
Although the person had a different Protege version, a slightly
different Java, on a different OS, it still can give you some useful
ideas for what can cause such issues.

This icould be also relevant:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/203883-hs-err-pid3372log/

Csongor

On 06/06/2014 01:32 PM, jeffxu wrote:

> Hi Nyulas,
>
> I encounters the same problem with Protégé 4.3 as Carol did on my Win7 64bit
> laptop. I followed your suggestion and here is the error message I got from
> the command window below. I have no clue if this is a java bug or a protégé
> 4.3 configuration issue. Can you please help ... thanks in advance!
>
> Jeff
> -------------------------
> Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at
> http://www.semanticweb.org/510258/ontologies/2014/5/untitled-ontology-18
> #
> # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007feff482b2a,
> pid=386876, tid=386932
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (1.6.0_01-b06 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [SHLWAPI.dll+0x12b2a]
> #
> # An error report file with more information is saved as
> C:\Users\510258\AppData
> \Local\Temp\hs_err_pid386876.log
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
> #
> c:\Program Files\Protege_4.3>

Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

Timothy Redmond

I think that you have encountered a rare event - a true java crash.  The message

Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at
http://www.semanticweb.org/510258/ontologies/2014/5/untitled-ontology-18
is a Protege error but it is not fatal.  If this error is a problem we can try to fix it after we fix the big error.

The really bad event happened at

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007feff482b2a,
pid=386876, tid=386932

By my reading this is not a Protege error but a java (or possibly java-linked code) bug.

To move forward, here are some questions:
  • Is this repeatable?
  • What version of Java are you using?  I already know that you don't want to use the one that comes with Windows.
  • Does it occur after a new install with no added plugins?
  • What happens if you remove the Fact++ plugin?

-Timothy

[...]

RE: [External] Re: Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file

jeffxu

Hi Csongor,

Thanks for the help! Attached is the file hs_err_pid386876.log. One thing I am confused is that the laptop I use is Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit, but the env var OS=Windows_NT. When I run command “java –version” it returns:

C:\Users\510258>java -version

java version "1.7.0_60"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.60-b09, mixed mode)

I  plan to reinstall java. My questions are:

-          Could you recommend a java version?

-          Shall I reinstall Protégé OWL and if so, which version would you recommend?

Thanks again,

Jeff

C:\Users\510258\AppData\Local\Temp\hs_err_pid386876.log

file? There should be error codes in it and other key information,
googleing for which could provide a useful starting point.

I guess your Java installation is somehow corrupted. Maybe the
SHLWAPI.dll has been overwritten or something. Anyway, you could try to
install a newer Java (your version is quite old), and see if running
Protege with the new Java would still cause the crash.

You can also read this older thread where someone had similar problems
of JVM crashing at start:
http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/protege-4-1-does-not-start-with-java-virtual-machine-1-6-0-td2307721.html
Although the person had a different Protege version, a slightly
different Java, on a different OS, it still can give you some useful
ideas for what can cause such issues.

This icould be also relevant:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/203883-hs-err-pid3372log/

Csongor

On 06/06/2014 01:32 PM, jeffxu wrote:

> Hi Nyulas,
>
> I encounters the same problem with Protégé 4.3 as Carol did on my Win7 64bit
> laptop. I followed your suggestion and here is the error message I got from
> the command window below. I have no clue if this is a java bug or a protégé
> 4.3 configuration issue. Can you please help ... thanks in advance!
>
> Jeff
> -------------------------
> Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at
> http://www.semanticweb.org/510258/ontologies/2014/5/untitled-ontology-18
> #
> # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007feff482b2a,
> pid=386876, tid=386932
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (1.6.0_01-b06 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [SHLWAPI.dll+0x12b2a]
> #
> # An error report file with more information is saved as
> C:\Users\510258\AppData
> \Local\Temp\hs_err_pid386876.log
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
> #
> c:\Program Files\Protege_4.3>

http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Windows-64-Bit-just-Downloaded-cannot-open-owl-file-tp4660504p4660649.html

To unsubscribe from Windows 64 Bit - just Downloaded, cannot open owl file, click here.
NAML

hs_err_pid386876.log (18K) Download Attachment
12