Quantcast

Windows error 193 occured while loading the Java VM

Windows error 193 occured while loading the Java VM

Howard Schimmoller

Gurus –

I am having problems with an installation… I am using a Windows XP SP3…

I tried to install Protégé 4.0.2 today on a new machine using the InstallAnywhere Self-Extractor with the VM. The install appeared to go well, but Protégé would not launch correctly; the initial menu appeared for a moment and then disappeared (Protégé crashed.)

After several trials, I decided to remove and reinstall. I successfully uninstalled Protégé using the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and then rebooted the computer. So, I re-downloaded the self-extractor, executed it, and now I get the “Windows error 193 occurred while loading the Java VM.”

I have looked through the archives and not found a solution. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Howard Schimmoller
72 Hargrave Lane
Media, PA 19063
Home: 610-325-0552

Re: Windows error 193 occured while loading the Java VM

Timothy Redmond

I did some googling and it appears that this has happened to other projects that are using install anywhere.  Here are some ideas and I don't know if any of them will help:

  • make sure that the protege installation directory is completely deleted before the new install
  • make sure that you are using the right version to install (in particular the 32 bit vs. 64 bit)
  • install java first and then use the version without the jvm (you don't have to install java 5 - java 6 will work).

If you succeed (or not) let us know because it would be nice to understand what causes this problem.  Also if you get to the point where

The install appeared to go well, but Protégé would not launch correctly; the initial menu appeared for a moment and then disappeared (Protégé crashed.)

If this happens again then the protege logs (in the logs directory in the Protege installation directory) or the console logs might help us diagnose the problem.

-Timothy

On 06/22/2010 12:37 PM, Howard Schimmoller wrote:

[...]

Timothy –

This worked. Thanks for your help.

1)     I deleted the installation directory.

2)     I confirmed that I downloaded the right version.

3)     I confirmed that I have Java Standard Edition, Runtime Environment, Version 6

I corrected the DOT location and loaded the pizza.owl…  everything appears to be good.

Sincerely,

Howard Schimmoller
72 Hargrave Lane
Media, PA 19063